90 Yr old cyclist stripped of World Champs in Drug Test

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Canuk

90 Yr old cyclist stripped of World Champs in Drug Test

Post by Canuk »

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/cyclin ... drug-test/

Although you want to believe his excuse (eating contaminated meat the night before, same one as Contador used in the Tour de France), several other steroids were found simultaneously...

Does this mark a trend in the over 60's for the use of banned substances in sport and in the gym? It's very odd to go to my local gym and see guys in their 70's with ripped bodies of a 35yr old and faces like a bowl of slurry. I have it on good intel that they are buying Anabolic steroids and various other banned products from a wee guy comes in of a Friday evening and who never seems to do much of a workout, but does spend an inordinate amount of time in the locker room.

Are there perhaps similar, lurking on the forum? Strong man competitions are popular here in the south, there's even a festival (which I've competed in, albeit half heartedly myself) where drug use in the over 40's is almost endemic. Its crept into veteran cycling too, even on Sportifs you'll see guys with bodies that just don't belong with their face! Strange times..
Bikes`n`guns

Re: 90 Yr old cyclist stripped of World Champs in Drug Test

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

If steroids make you look and act that fit at 90 then count me in.

Cheating in competition is not on though but really, if using drugs helped you carry on being that fit into your 90's , why wouldn't you use them.?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

IIRC Bowls was the sport with the highest positive test rate for banned substances!

All these old folks and their drugs!!

Actually on a more serious basis, there are many medicines that the elderly legitimately take to keep their health that are banned
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Worrying if people are using steroids, especially at that age. They may end up with a 'fit'-looking body, but in a premature shroud.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Cunobelin wrote:IIRC Bowls was the sport with the highest positive test rate for banned substances!

Actually on a more serious basis, there are many medicines that the elderly legitimately take to keep their health that are banned

Not just older people. My type of HRT (the only one I can take, and which I take for a specific medical condition, incidentally, will always have to take, and have taken for many years) is a banned substance, and there are no convenient 'exemptions' available for it. Pity being female is more of a problem than having *cough* 'asthma'.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Flinders wrote:Worrying if people are using steroids, especially at that age. They may end up with a 'fit'-looking body, but in a premature shroud.

Not sure if serious?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Flinders wrote:Worrying if people are using steroids, especially at that age. They may end up with a 'fit'-looking body, but in a premature shroud.

Not sure if serious?

I'd take a fit looking 90yr old shroud any day :lol:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Canuk wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Not sure if serious?

I'd take a fit looking 90yr old shroud any day :lol:

If I get there, I'd likely be taking up smoking too!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:If I get there, I'd likely be taking up smoking too!

It'll shorten your lifespan if you do :wink:

USA,home of bad food and the world's best known illegal drug user....... :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I think it’s sad when amateurs resort to doping. It’s even more tragic when you see the old guys doing it. Who do they think they are impressing? I can understand why the pro’s dope, but who really cares about a 90 year old amateur?
fossala

Post by fossala »

How fast was the lad? I can't find his record.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fossala wrote:How fast was the lad? I can't find his record.

Not fast enough by all accounts :wink:
W H Auden
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I think it’s sad when amateurs resort to doping. It’s even more tragic when you see the old guys doing it. Who do they think they are impressing? I can understand why the pro’s dope, but who really cares about a 90 year old amateur?

Thats a bit harsh. Drug use in sport is an epidemic. Especially among the amateur fraternity. I'd say in the gym I use at least 50% of the users are taking performance enhancing drugs. Plus weight control drugs. It's almost a norm now. I personally don't see the harm in it, if theyre not trying to cheat anyone. As drugs get smarter and cheaper I daresay it'll become a universal aid. I remember when I started racing as a kid at 15. Myself and a load of contemporaries were turning junior the following spring. I didn't see my pal all winter, and he went from an 8 stone weakling to a 10 stone young man in 4 months with legs of tree trunks.

That was cheating. He went on to win just about every cup and prize that year then spectacularly gave up. Can't say I blamed him, hollow victories, even for a 16 year old. Kids take cycling 1000% more seriously now.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Canuk wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I think it’s sad when amateurs resort to doping. It’s even more tragic when you see the old guys doing it. Who do they think they are impressing? I can understand why the pro’s dope, but who really cares about a 90 year old amateur?

Thats a bit harsh. Drug use in sport is an epidemic. Especially among the amateur fraternity. I'd say in the gym I use at least 50% of the users are taking performance enhancing drugs. Plus weight control drugs. It's almost a norm now. I personally don't see the harm in it, if theyre not trying to cheat anyone. As drugs get smarter and cheaper I daresay it'll become a universal aid. I remember when I started racing as a kid at 15. Myself and a load of contemporaries were turning junior the following spring. I didn't see my pal all winter, and he went from an 8 stone weakling to a 10 stone young man in 4 months with legs of tree trunks.

That was cheating. He went on to win just about every cup and prize that year then spectacularly gave up. Can't say I blamed him, hollow victories, even for a 16 year old. Kids take cycling 1000% more seriously now.

Personally I find this post if true an illuminatingly sad state of affairs :(
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:IIRC Bowls was the sport with the highest positive test rate for banned substances!

hmm I always thought that being old and taking drugs was par for the course