Mechanical advantage is doing my head in!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nirakaro

Mechanical advantage is doing my head in!

Post by nirakaro »

I'm reading Sheldon Brown on the geometry of cantilever brakes, and can't make sense of it.
Specifically, he says that the shorter the yoke cable, the greater the MA. And conversely, the least MA will, in theory, come from an infinitely long yoke cable. But as I visualize it, pulling up on a very short yoke cable will move the brake pad a lot for a small pull, which, unless I'm misunderstanding the terminology, is a smaller MA. And as you lengthen the yoke cable, you need a longer pull to get the same movement of the brake pad. And with an infinitely long yoke cable, it would take an infinite pull on the brake lever to move the brake block at all. Which is an infinite MA, no?
What am I misunderstanding here?
landsurfer

Re: Mechanical advantage is doing my head in!

Post by landsurfer »

Had really nasty squealing with the original cable set up on my Jamis Canti brakes .... i read Sheldon's article, bought some bits from SJS ... Shorter Cable = No Squealing !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Plough through this discussion viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57410
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
jb

Post by jb »

The nearer the straddle wire is to a straight line the more force is transmitted to the cantilevers, you will find if you look carefully that the movement of the block is actually a lot less than the vertical movement of the wire.

An infinitely long wire on the other hand, will pull the cantilever straight up whilst transmitting virtually nothing to the movement of the block
Cheers
J Bro
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

nirakaro wrote:I'm reading Sheldon Brown on the geometry of cantilever brakes, and can't make sense of it.
Specifically, he says that the shorter the yoke cable, the greater the MA. And conversely, the least MA will, in theory, come from an infinitely long yoke cable. But as I visualize it, pulling up on a very short yoke cable will move the brake pad a lot for a small pull, which, unless I'm misunderstanding the terminology, is a smaller MA. And as you lengthen the yoke cable, you need a longer pull to get the same movement of the brake pad. And with an infinitely long yoke cable, it would take an infinite pull on the brake lever to move the brake block at all. Which is an infinite MA, no?
What am I misunderstanding here?

In my mind a short yoke cable will give a greater force on the pads than a longer one for any given force on the brake lever.
So therefore has more of a mechanical advantage. :roll:

My set-up to give best braking =

In theory the angle between the red and blue lines should be about 90 degrees when the pad hits the rim.
Oryx copy.jpg

In practice.
Attachments
Straddle cable (Large).JPG
You'll never know if you don't try it.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

rjb wrote:Plough through this discussion viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57410

^^^^^^^ Wot E said!!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

531colin wrote:
rjb wrote:Plough through this discussion viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57410

^^^^^^^ Wot E said!!

^^ Wot they said!