Diesel scrappage

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Diesel scrappage

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:This thread appears to have gone way off topic. Is it about diesel scrappage (an important topic) or not?

Thread drift happens.

Bumper sticker material? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

old_windbag wrote:
pete75 wrote:Interested to know why you think a disabled person claiming disability benefits has low morals.

Eh? Where do you draw that from. I haven't said a disabled person claiming disability benefits has low morals. I said there'd be lower claims if people applied morals, i.e if you can afford to not claim then do you need to, or is it a right for you to take it because you're entitled to it.

You said "TC, my morals and your morals may both be set at quite a high level....... but rest assured the general population of the UK does not reflect that. If it did we'd have hardly any benefit claimants, disability claims and so on. " which certainly implies that if disabled people had what you consider to be your high morals there would be few disability claims. That certainly implies that you think many disabled people claiming disability benefits has low morals. Personally I've no objection to people claiming whatever benefits the system entitles them too. My salary tax bill is around 1200 quid a month and I'd sooner it was used for that than for aircraft carriers without aircraft or attempts at military intervention in countries with leaders disliked by our leaders.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

old_windbag wrote:
bigjim wrote: is a benefit?

Yes strangely so, I can understand in some respects( comes from NI/tax funds ) but I feel a bit misplaced.

What lead to this diversion was simply the scrappage offers being taken up not always for the right reasons. Betters ways to reduce polluting cars than incentives for new ones, whatever those ways may be. On the jet engine front it's one area that we'll be reliant on fossil/bio fuels for as long as we fly.

The recent debacle that has allowed companies to subvert and cheat the testing process should be an eye opener

We need to have a way of testing a random vehicle from each model, and then apply that to every vehicle in that model.

Then use this figures rather than some random date

If the new Qashqais et all were being made to pay pollution charges and financially censured for their appalling levels of pollution, they would become les attractive
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
old_windbag wrote:
bigjim wrote: is a benefit?

Yes strangely so, I can understand in some respects( comes from NI/tax funds ) but I feel a bit misplaced.

What lead to this diversion was simply the scrappage offers being taken up not always for the right reasons. Betters ways to reduce polluting cars than incentives for new ones, whatever those ways may be. On the jet engine front it's one area that we'll be reliant on fossil/bio fuels for as long as we fly.

The recent debacle that has allowed companies to subvert and cheat the testing process should be an eye opener

We need to have a way of testing a random vehicle from each model, and then apply that to every vehicle in that model.

Then use this figures rather than some random date

If the new Qashqais et all were being made to pay pollution charges and financially censured for their appalling levels of pollution, they would become les attractive

You mean to pass the test they are asked to pass?

ETA
You simply don't have the information and/or evidence to assert intent to subvert and cheat
hondated

Post by hondated »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
hondated wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:I had a neighbour that did that, it did turn him "green"!

If I have read that correctly, given I had a mate do the same thing, that really is in bad humour.

Sorry!
It was all made up!
The word play is on the word "green"!

Just tried to add a little humour to TCs pointed post.

Thanks PDQ I am probably a touch too sensitive on this subject as well.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

I'm reviving this thread because I can't find a more suitable place, and my trivial question doesn't deserve opening a new one.

[disclaimer] I hardly watch BBC news programmes [/disclaimer] but I turned on the telly this morning at a moment when a motoring journalist was discussing falling car sales. Here's what I think I heard:

...and diesels, with their supposed impact on the environment...

Did anyone else hear that? Who is that woman?

We should be grateful. She could have said "...diesels, with their supposed [air quotes] impact on the [yawn] environment.

"And next up on BBC news, gravity and it's supposed impact on the environment. We interview Nigel Lawson."
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

bovlomov wrote:Here's what I think I heard:

I don't know, but this just illustrates how explosive a single word inserted into a remark, can be.

I'm not disputing the evidence, but I'm still waiting for (a) a worthwhile scrappage scheme to be announced to that I can dispose of my diesel without bankrupting myself, and (b) a viable electric alternative with the range and recharge options I want.

I reckon I'll be waiting a long time. What with 100% of Government and Parliamentary time taken up with you-know-what, a very long time...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Here's what I think I heard:

I don't know, but this just illustrates how explosive a single word inserted into a remark, can be.

I'm not disputing the evidence, but I'm still waiting for (a) a worthwhile scrappage scheme to be announced to that I can dispose of my diesel without bankrupting myself, and (b) a viable electric alternative with the range and recharge options I want.

I reckon I'll be waiting a long time. What with 100% of Government and Parliamentary time taken up with you-know-what, a very long time...

No,once within the EU borders travel between countries is a drive through for all nationalities AFAIA.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden