I am not a vegan

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: I am not a vegan

Post by pwa »

I imagine a clued up vegan will actually have a diet nutritionally superior to that of someone who eats an average omnivorous diet of too much salt and fat, and not enough fibre and vitamins. If you want to view malnutrition go and watch the queue at McD's. But someone who goes vegan with no thought will probably have a sub-optimal diet. Along with most people.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What does a pregnant vegan take, is that difficult?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What does a pregnant vegan take, is that difficult?

I bet a lot of non-vegan pregnant women are malnourished on diets high in meat and low in fruit and veg, but it is vegans that people point the finger at. With all the food options in a modern UK supermarket there is no reason why a pregnant vegan should be lacking anything.
rob_wales

Post by rob_wales »

Having been at first a meat-eater, then a vegetarian for the past 25 years I have finally settled on being a Veganeighty. That is, about 80-85% of my food intake is vegan, and the rest is fish, cheese, eggs. That balance gives me an excellent balanced blend of healthy and tasty food while at the same time reducing my own risk of health problems from unhealthy food, and also contributes to reducing environmental problems. I never eat meat because I don't think modern Hom Saps need to, provided you get a good balance from other sources. It is inconceivable that with current projections of population increase for the world that we can continue to eat so much meat, and increase that amount of meat. The world population is set to rise by 50% by 2070 https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Projections_of_population_growth

It's not just about meat versus non-meat. It's important to eat food that is as pure and healthy as possible, whatever the food type. Also, as a species we eat far too much food (of any type) in the West, and it needs to be reduced.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
So a part time vegan is a vegetarian.
Would it not be easier for a vegan to call them selves a vegetarian.
How would you tell the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian at the table..................quite difficult I reckon.
It would certainly solve a lot of problems, vegetarians have been main stream for years, many of us meat eaters have had vegetarian meals for some time now.
If someone served me up a vegetarian meal tomorrow I would not bat an eyelid.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
So a part time vegan is a vegetarian.
How would you tell the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian at the table..................quite difficult I reckon.
It would certainly solve a lot of problems, vegetarians have been main stream for years, many of us meat eaters have had vegetarian meals for some time now.
If someone served me up a vegetarian meal tomorrow I would not bat an eyelid.

If you have egg and chips or beans on toast you have had a vegetarian meal. But a vegan meal is less common.

There is no part time if you are vegan or vegetarian. You either are or you aren't. And eating fish is not vegetarian as far as most vegetarians are concerned. Pescetarian is a word sometimes applied to people who eat fish but no other animal life. But if you go into a supermarket you will not see a green V symbol on food containing fish, because most vegetarians do not consider it to be acceptable. It is a living creature and eating them is as unacceptable as eating any other living creature.

But a diet containing fish and no other animal life is potentially very healthy. It is arguably easier to come up with a healthy diet that way than as a vegetarian. Being vegan means you have to be pretty disciplined to be healthy.

I don't choose my friends on the basis of what they eat and would just say to all of you, eat what you think is best and look after yourselves.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I see that veganism is going more mainstream - Aldi is running a 'we're going vegan for a month' advert. But if vegan ready meals become the norm I'm sure they will quickly be identified as being unhealthy in one way or another - just without meat.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ben@Forest wrote:I see that veganism is going more mainstream - Aldi is running a 'we're going vegan for a month' advert. But if vegan ready meals become the norm I'm sure they will quickly be identified as being unhealthy in one way or another - just without meat.

Many vegan meals are reasonably healthy. they still need to be part of a balanced diet.

Most pre-prepared and factory processed meals are not healthy, whether they are vegan, vegetarian, or meat with potatoes and veg.

Even if they are 'all natural' they usually have an excess of additives.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:So a part time vegan is a vegetarian.
You have clearly not been reading my posts - nor, I suspect, many others.

By all means choose whichever word you find 'easier' - and don't be bothered too much with accuracy ... :wink:

Your words....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ben@Forest wrote:I see that veganism is going more mainstream - Aldi is running a 'we're going vegan for a month' advert. But if vegan ready meals become the norm I'm sure they will quickly be identified as being unhealthy in one way or another - just without meat.
"Ready meals" - whatever discipline they adhere to - are almost certain to have the odd 'unhealthy' factor in them: there's no way you can please every customer at once (some like more salt, some like less, for instance).

We are fortunate in being retired and having more time to prepare, so we don't have to rely on ready meals so much. Others are more pressed for time and don't have the choice. So there's always going to be a need for the ready meal.

There are limits to our 'lifestyle' choices though. We have yet to attempt to make our own pasta.... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
On ready meals which I have consumed for years, I have one in the week for its limited cals, we share one at the weekend, but of late we make a meal up instead of ready meal which is some what cheaper.
No cook and a bit lazy :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
On tv this morning a gp stated that a large study found no difference of mortality vegetarian vs meat eaters.

I am still trying to work out what I am not :?
Plenty what I am of course :)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:On tv this morning a gp stated that a large study found no difference of mortality vegetarian vs meat eaters.
That's a bit vague. Channel? Time? Source? Links?

Anyway it's about a great deal more than one's personal wellbeing.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Studies oriented on mortality have found mixed results, but tend to find benefits to vegetarianism. Some have found no difference in mortality between vegetarians and non-vegetarians, while others have found statistically significant lower mortality amongst vegetarians. Meta-analysis usually finds benefits for vegetarians in overal mortality and for particular diseases.

I'm not aware of any studies that have found vegetarians have higher mortality than the general population.

Some examples:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4691673/ found no significant benefit
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/70/3/525s/4714981 found benefit (it's older but they controlled for more factors)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4073139/ found benefit

And this is a meta-analysis that found much lower mortality among vegetarians. https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... tic_Review

All-cause mortality in vegetarians was 9% lower than in nonvegetarians
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vegetarians, by definition, are a group who think about their diet and are willing to give things up. So if you really want to compare the effects of the diet you have to compare them with omnivores who are also thinking about their diet and willing to give things up. That would be an interesting comparison.