Shoulder Barged By Pedestrian On A Cycle Path

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
londoncommuter0000

Re: Shoulder Barged By Pedestrian On A Cycle Path

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

I've had pedestrians scream [ abuse ] at me, when I've been on shared paths. So I stop. I very politely point at the [ obvious ] bicycle logo painted on the path. The response is usually the same - a repeated bellowing of [ abuse ].

The most recent - and worrying - incident was in the Square Mile about a month ago, when I stopped at a set of red traffic lights near to St Paul's. I was inside the ASL, fully legal. A young boy - I'd say about ten years old - who was crossing with an adult male in front of me, kicked my front tyre, spat at me and snarled 'pay [ abuse ] road tax!'

Cyclist hatred is mainstream.
Last edited by Graham on 7 Jan 2019, 1:34pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: FFE . . .family-friendly edit(s)
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
This could all be stopped by a bit of public service by police with some simple adverts on the media, then they would not have to avoid doing what we pay them for.

On another of my posts when I said a car had driven into me twice (999 call) on a shared path / single track road / bridle path, there was no offer of help and they did not ask if I was injured at all.

"Go home and quote this four digit number" was the only advice, one the phone later date a police officer delighted in telling me he booked a car driver for a close pass whilst he was off duty on his bicycle........................but my video evidence which clearly showed the car colliding with me was dismissed as not good enough for anything......................what evidence do they need..............
Not surprising I have lost all confidence with police.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
londoncommuter0000

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
This could all be stopped by a bit of public service by police

It certainly could. I've been wondering for a while why cyclists don't stand up for themselves. Looks like we're starting to...

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ge-2392174
--
London is a cesspit
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Wow, the cyclist really stood up for themselves there!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
No surprise there after getting knocked by a car you would feel threatened when they get of their car, I would.
Many stories of vehicle drivers getting out of car and assaulting cyclist............cyclist kicks car..........police say the witnesses at bus stop saw you kick car.............. :roll: :evil:

You feel like it but I bite my lip, as I don't want to be arrested because there are corroborating witnesses who only saw half the story.

The question that should be asked by police is "why did you get out of car".............if its to help the cyclist you just downed with your car....................no wonder the cyclist defended themselves and took flight.................

I am in no way condoling violence on any side.
But something definitely need to be done when where people direct their car at pedestrians, which in my experience normally includes revving engine, overtaking and pulling into kerb to block the cyclist.
Also why do peds think its a good idea to contact cyclist physically....I wouldn't.......cheap trick as its always the cyclist fault.........going too fast.......terrorising innocent pedestrians with dogs..............on leads........extending even...........or not..........not my dog.....

My job is not to appear the aggressor which Is why I pull out my video camera and walk backwards, what more can you do?
Keep safe guys.
londoncommuter0000

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: <SNIP>

The law is clear in that the offence of common assault is complete when the actions of another cause the victim to apprehend unlawful physical violence. The law is equally clear in that there is no legal requirement on you to wait until you are struck, before defending yourself.
--
London is a cesspit
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Many years ago (before mobile 'phones) I was 'madly hooted' just before a T junction by a following car. Car pulled alongside and woman got out, shouting abuse and saying how I was going too fast for her to overtake. I replied that she had a 1600 Cortina (it was many years ago :) ) and if it wasn't safe for her to overtake then what's the problem? I also suggested we could call the Police to get a decision from them. She threatened to hit me, so I just said "I don't hit ladies, but in your case I'll make an exception if you try it". She jumped in the car and took off with a big screech of tyres and a cloud of dust.
Difficult to know what to do in such circumstances, but I think if someone did make a move towards me I'd just chuck the bike at them. :(
londoncommuter0000

fastpedaller wrote:Many years ago (before mobile 'phones) I was 'madly hooted' just before a T junction by a following car. Car pulled alongside and woman got out, shouting abuse and saying how I was going too fast for her to overtake. I replied that she had a 1600 Cortina (it was many years ago :) ) and if it wasn't safe for her to overtake then what's the problem? I also suggested we could call the Police to get a decision from them. She threatened to hit me, so I just said "I don't hit ladies, but in your case I'll make an exception if you try it". She jumped in the car and took off with a big screech of tyres and a cloud of dust.
Difficult to know what to do in such circumstances, but I think if someone did make a move towards me I'd just chuck the bike at them. :(

It's a minefield. One thing to remember is reasonable force - someone slaps you, you don't get to beat them to death and expect not to go to prison.

It really should be a clearcut case of self defence, but the Charlie Alliston case demonstrated conclusively that the police and courts in this country are not immune to signing up to the witch hunt against cyclists being perpetrated by the Daily Mail.
--
London is a cesspit
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Reading all the messages here I am so glad I live where I do because these things with pedestrian, dog walkers or horses never happen to me. Is it perhaps just large cities where people may have forgot how to be pleasant to each other?
Pat
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Patrickpioneer wrote:Reading all the messages here I am so glad I live where I do because these things with pedestrian, dog walkers or horses never happen to me. Is it perhaps just large cities where people may have forgot how to be pleasant to each other?
Pat

No- not restricted to cities. I was cycling last Sunday at 24MPH (downhill... ETA Incline as it's Norfolk :D wind behind) - I was aware of a vehicle behind, but I had nowhere to go and as the fairly small lane widened by about 1ft he roared past in his "Thunderer" or other such named 4x4 twin cab truck hooting and gesturing for me to 'get over'. Of course he was taking up about 80% of the road :roll:
mjr

Post by mjr »

fastpedaller wrote:No- not restricted to cities. I was cycling last Sunday at 24MPH (downhill... ETA Incline as it's Norfolk :D wind behind) - I was aware of a vehicle behind, but I had nowhere to go and as the fairly small lane widened by about 1ft he roared past in his "Thunderer" or other such named 4x4 twin cab truck hooting and gesturing for me to 'get over'. Of course he was taking up about 80% of the road :roll:

Yeah, but he wasn't a pedestrian, dog walker or horse.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Patrickpioneer wrote:Reading all the messages here I am so glad I live where I do because these things with pedestrian, dog walkers or horses never happen to me. Is it perhaps just large cities where people may have forgot how to be pleasant to each other?
Pat

It happened in a relatively small place on shared paths.
Bovey Tracey has a population of under 8000 at 201.
It can happen anywhere where there are people, maybe it was a general comment about all the posts.
I don't do a lot of large town city riding but when I have not a problem.
Exeter has a lot od people that frequent the cycle paths (Exe Trail), they are used by many cyclist especially at the weekend, even in the city centre I come across peds but they are not a problem there.

Bovey Tracy's cycle paths have already hit the press with dog walkers claiming that cyclists are dangerous.
The dead end path I use will become a round the moor circular route soon and then the other users will probably be outnumbered.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

mjr wrote:Yeah, but he wasn't a pedestrian, dog walker or horse.

Oops, point taken! I drifted off topic without realising :shock:
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

mjr wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:No- not restricted to cities. I was cycling last Sunday at 24MPH (downhill... ETA Incline as it's Norfolk :D wind behind) - I was aware of a vehicle behind, but I had nowhere to go and as the fairly small lane widened by about 1ft he roared past in his "Thunderer" or other such named 4x4 twin cab truck hooting and gesturing for me to 'get over'. Of course he was taking up about 80% of the road :roll:

Yeah, but he wasn't a pedestrian, dog walker or horse.

Thats right, car drivers are another matter all together
Pat
londoncommuter0000

londoncommuter0000 wrote:I've had pedestrians scream [ abuse ]

Oh, for crying out loud .. WHY ? Why the stupid censorship? What is the average age of the poster here - is it nine?
--
London is a cesspit