Another car head lamp thread

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PT1029

Another car head lamp thread

Post by PT1029 »

There have been a couple of threads recently on car head lamps. I have a 3rd one.
For many years, there have always been those annoying cars driven in the dark with dazzling headlights because they are poorly aligned even when on dipped beam.
This winter I have found poorly aligned head lights very rare. Anyone else noticed this? If so, is it due to vehicle construction/LED lights or something else.
I doubt it is due to an outbreak of law enforcement or conciensious owners maintaining their vehicles.....
Separate from the above, still plenty of vehicles about with variously defective/none functioning lights.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Another car head lamp thread

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I hate bright headlights, on many vehicles they apparently light up when the vehicle is unlocked even if the motor is not running
Cannae agree that few are wrongly adjusted :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

PT1029 wrote:This winter I have found poorly aligned head lights very rare. Anyone else noticed this?
Nope! Bad as ever IME; likewise the number running 'one-eyed'.
"42"
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I hate bright headlights, on many vehicles they apparently light up when the vehicle is unlocked even if the motor is not running
Cannae agree that few are wrongly adjusted :?

Probably DRLs rather than headlamps. They are brighter, to look at, than headlamps.
silvercylist

Post by silvercylist »

I've found that many car's headlights are now too bright, misaligned and some have one headlamp missing. This not only dazzles me when cycling but also when driving. The policing of such to check on headlight legality seems absent, at least here in Hampshire.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

squeaker wrote:
PT1029 wrote:This winter I have found poorly aligned head lights very rare. Anyone else noticed this?
Nope! Bad as ever IME; likewise the number running 'one-eyed'.

+1
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think the current standard for headlights must be crap because the latest LED lights are retina destroying on dipped beam. It's not just cyclists talking about this. Motorists are complaining about it too. It seemed to start with upmarket German cars but is working its way down. If the Germans were as fussy about car headlamps as they are about bike lights we would all be better off.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

pwa wrote:I think the current standard for headlights must be crap because the latest LED lights are retina destroying on dipped beam. It's not just cyclists talking about this. Motorists are complaining about it too. It seemed to start with upmarket German cars but is working its way down. If the Germans were as fussy about car headlamps as they are about bike lights we would all be better off.

The problem is the standards are based around optical input not light output, so like with modern household light bulbs they could use less electricity for the same light out put, or as they seem to do just make the headlights stupidly bight. The law/ vehicle regs need updating
NUKe

Post by squeaker »

NUKe wrote:The problem is the standards are based around optical input not light output, so like with modern household light bulbs they could use less electricity for the same light out put, or as they seem to do just make the headlights stupidly bight. The law/ vehicle regs need updating.
And include some sort of (better) spectral weighting, especially on the 'stray' light emitted :evil:
"42"
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

The problem is due to the EU and our inept gubbinment, cars need brighter lights so their operators can go faster in the dark. It's created less safe roads and DRLs have absolutely zero impact on safety, they should be banned and lights made to be less bright.
Should also enforce the law and make drivers drive with sidelights only in urban areas with street lighting, there's zero need to have anything other than side lights!
Less light might actually slow some motorists down!
peetee

Post by peetee »

silvercylist wrote:I've found that many car's headlights are now too bright, misaligned and some have one headlamp missing. This not only dazzles me when cycling but also when driving. The policing of such to check on headlight legality seems absent, at least here in Hampshire.

+1
We drove back from Alton down the A32 then up to Bishops Waltham this Sunday evening. In several places we were dropping down to a snails pace because of oncoming glare. With a poorly maintained verge marking it was very hard to judge the edge of the road. The worst scenario was when LED headlamps appeared above a rise.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

silvercylist wrote:I've found that many car's headlights are now too bright, misaligned and some have one headlamp missing. This not only dazzles me when cycling but also when driving. The policing of such to check on headlight legality seems absent, at least here in Hampshire.

I remember few years ago, "The News" ran its usual "Cyclists don't use lights" front page campaign/

The photo was taken mis afternoon, one car had only one light, one had no lights and one had both DRLs

That was an interesting discussion on the letter page
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

pwa wrote:I think the current standard for headlights must be crap because the latest LED lights are retina destroying on dipped beam. It's not just cyclists talking about this. Motorists are complaining about it too. It seemed to start with upmarket German cars but is working its way down. If the Germans were as fussy about car headlamps as they are about bike lights we would all be better off.

Yup.

Made worse as the headlights on big SUVs (I am thinking in particular Audi/BMW/Merc/VW/Skoda/Landrover/Rangerover variants) are not just blindingly bright but also seem to be aimed much higher up- they seem set on the basis that all drivers are in similar vehicles so sitting higher up than cars. I much prefer to be driving my Big Work Van at night these days- sitting higher up than the SUV does help a bit.

TPO
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Height?

We have two cars, an adapted Kia Sedona for the wheelchair and a Kia Venga for my commuting and runaround

The Venga has a much lower driving position, and roads that are no problem with the Sedona are a nightmare of being blinded in the Venga.

With the advent of cosmetic 4x4 ripoffs the height of headlights has effectively raised
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Curiosity made me look up the regs on this. There is a range of 500mm to 1200mm for headlight height.