Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
amediasatex

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Post by amediasatex »

peetee wrote:Fair enough, the handlebar stem 'looks' over extended but the seat post on the blue bike definitely shows the minimum insertion engraving.

That would be poor form, got a link to which one as I can't seem to see it?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Tried to, but can't work out how to do it on this device. It's the photo of the seat cluster of the blue roadini
Last edited by peetee on 7 Jan 2019, 12:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

531colin wrote:...
I like the way they have drilled the fork crown, its a way to get maximum clearance out of dual pivot sidepulls. But dual pivot sidepulls is something to avoid if you want big tyres...their rear brake bridge is only a couple of millimetres higher than ours on the Audax...limited by the brakes.

Could you describe what's special or different about the way they've drilled the fork crown? I can't make it out from the photos. Thanks!
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
I like the way they have drilled the fork crown, its a way to get maximum clearance out of dual pivot sidepulls. But dual pivot sidepulls is something to avoid if you want big tyres...their rear brake bridge is only a couple of millimetres higher than ours on the Audax...limited by the brakes.

Could you describe what's special or different about the way they've drilled the fork crown? I can't make it out from the photos. Thanks!

https://www.rivbike.com/products/roadini

Info there ^
basically the hole is drilled as low as possible in the crown to give the maximum tyre clearance. It's a not a Rivendell specific thing as I have seen similar on other forks, but the norm is a more symmetric setup, or if not symmetric, at least more material under the brake hole.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

peetee wrote:Tried to, but can't work out how to do it on this device. It's the photo of the seat cluster of the blue roadini

Ah, think I found it

That is poor form for a marketing shot, should have put a little more care in that to let that one out onto the site. I have a bit of faith that it was not left that way as in the whole bike shot (below) the post is nowhere near full extension.

Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

amediasatex wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:

https://www.rivbike.com/products/roadini

Info there ^
basically the hole is drilled as low as possible in the crown to give the maximum tyre clearance. It's a not a Rivendell specific thing as I have seen similar on other forks, but the norm is a more symmetric setup, or if not symmetric, at least more material under the brake hole.

Cheers, spotted it now! With 'reinforcing' rim.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Samuel D wrote:………..I like the simple elegance of dead straight, crimp-free chain and seatstays, but no-one seems to do those. Have you any idea what tyre size those would limit me to if I got a custom builder to make me something? I’d go with long stays if that helped clearance (and probably anyway). I use 172.5 mm cranks that should clear most stays.

I thought I had such a frame knocking around doing nothing.....the truth of the matter is that my recollection was wrong. The stays are straight, but quite heavily dented https://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/39682566243/in/dateposted-public/
That tyre is nominally 35mm, actually closer to 36mm. The stays are 445mm.
I reckon with a regular 18mm oval stay un-dented, you would get 45mm clearance for a tyre....if the stays were brought right to the edge of the BB shell, I guess you might get a bit more clearance.
If anybody is worried about their eyesight, I should point out that is an Orbit frame with offset back end; the back wheel follows the front wheel exactly, but it isn't exactly central between the stays....the stays and hub are offset, the rim is central.
…..Free to anybody who wants to pick it up, its surplus to requirements, I can't see myself building it up again.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

All these ultra-long drop brakes are very interesting, but the bike is already designed and in production.
The brake bridge is 366mm from the rear axle, so you can't use the extra drop. (unless you vary the wheel size)
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

It's still useful info for anyone thinking about a custom build or converting an older 27in frame to 700c (or 700c to 650B) to gain room for bigger tyres, just pointing out that there are alternatives t the 'standard' 49mm drop and 57mm drop brakes from Shimano and the other big players. Canti, centre-pull, DP sidepull, SP sidepull, disc, whatever floats your boat :-)
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Brucey wrote:
MikeDee wrote:The 1" threaded headset would keep me from buying that bike. The selection of stems and modern handlebars is minimal these days. I had to go to a quill adapter to get a decent handlebar that I liked....

plenty out there if you look.

I notice that you described your chosen handlebars as 'modern' and that 'you like them' which suggests that in the first place you are worried about how they look and in the second you are not really sure about what is really good about them. The primary thing about handlebars is that they are of a shape that allows you to achieve a desired range of riding positions. IME having squished tubes, funny bends and odd lumps sticking out is not fundamental to this, even if it seems to be an intrinsic feature of most 'modern' handlebars.

Funny how we managed without handlebars that looked like kicked in dustbins for about a century or so..... :roll:

Wrong... Find me a handlebar with a 26mm clamp diameter where the bars can be adjusted flat to the lever hoods and that have a flat section in the drops for your hands. The Soma Hwy. 1 bar was the closest to that criteria but didn't have the flat section in the drops.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

MikeDee wrote:
Brucey wrote:
MikeDee wrote:The 1" threaded headset would keep me from buying that bike. The selection of stems and modern handlebars is minimal these days. I had to go to a quill adapter to get a decent handlebar that I liked....

I notice that you described your chosen handlebars as 'modern' and that 'you like them' which suggests that in the first place you are worried about how they look and in the second you are not really sure about what is really good about them. The primary thing about handlebars is that they are of a shape that allows you to achieve a desired range of riding positions. IME having squished tubes, funny bends and odd lumps sticking out is not fundamental to this, even if it seems to be an intrinsic feature of most 'modern' handlebars.

Funny how we managed without handlebars that looked like kicked in dustbins for about a century or so..... :roll:

Wrong... Find me a handlebar with a 26mm clamp diameter where the bars can be adjusted flat to the lever hoods and that have a flat section in the drops for your hands. The Soma Hwy. 1 bar was the closest to that criteria but didn't have the flat section in the drops.

Not 100% sure what you mean as hard to tell with the way people describe different bits but do you mean with tops and bottom section of drops parallel? Like the VO Grand Cru bars (and Compass Maes in 25.4)?

Pic of VO bars fitted below with what I would call 'flat to the lever hoods and that have a flat section in the drops for your hands', but please clarify if I have the wrong end of the descriptive stick! If I have then can you post a pic of the shape you do mean?

MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

amediasatex wrote:
MikeDee wrote:
Brucey wrote:

Not 100% sure what you mean as hard to tell with the way people describe different bits but do you mean with tops and bottom section of drops parallel? Like the VO Grand Cru bars (and Compass Maes in 25.4)?

Pic of VO bars fitted below with what I would call 'flat to the lever hoods and that have a flat section in the drops for your hands', but please clarify if I have the wrong end of the descriptive stick! If I have then can you post a pic of the shape you do mean?

No, like this bar Image
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Ah gotcha, the squared bends variety or ergo bars. The Deda piega comes in a variant very similar to that and 26.0 IIRC

MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

amediasatex wrote:Ah gotcha, the squared bends variety or ergo bars. The Deda piega comes in a variant very similar to that and 26.0 IIRC

That may work, but I forgot to mention that I prefer a compact bar. These are standard drop and reach.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

found these in about five minutes

FWIW most bars have flat drops. If I understand it correctly, what you are after is probably better termed ' flat hooks'

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~