Gamin Maps

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bobuffs

Gamin Maps

Post by bobuffs »

Anybody aware that if you buy OS maps from Garmin for a Garmin device it has a 12 month time limit for repeat downloads, meaning that if your device becomes corrupt and you need to reinstall the map, which is only by Garmin Express, you will NOT be able to after a 12 month period, or, if that map ceases to be supported by Garmin.

I have just discovered to my cost that two maps I purchased, one two years ago, and the other 14 months ago, to the value of circa £250, are no longer available to me, and Garmin will not provide the new (later) maps without paying the full cost, even though I offered a part payment.
So I essential have a very expensive Garmin 1000 now without the maps I want and need making the device of no use to me.

Anyone else aware or experienced this, or did I have an agent who didn't know what he was talking about and I need to go higher in Garmin?
thelawnet

Re: Gamin Maps

Post by thelawnet »

I would imagine there are, er, 'unauthorised' ways of getting the maps you have paid for, without forking over any more money.

Alternatively contact your card company for a refund?
cycleruk

Re: Garmin Maps

Post by cycleruk »

if you downloaded the maps do they not save on your computer so that you can re-install them?

But I use "Openstreet" free maps :-
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/dow ... 00810.html

And :- https://talkytoaster.me.uk
but not used by me yet + some mapping for sale..
You'll never know if you don't try it.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Where's Mick F? He'll tell you how to get them for nowt!!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Some people think nothing of copying data and selling it on ebay or wherever, so all OS maps are restricted in some way.

MemoryMap restrict their OS downloads and DVD sales by device ID, so it's those who get a new phone every year that fall foul of the restrictions first.
I got my Garmin OS data on SD card, which (I believe) means my data is tied to the physical card (I could back up to disc, delete the files from the card, and copy the files back onto the card and it would be OK, but copying onto a different card wouldn't work).
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Buy sd card mapping on ebay?
e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283329528722
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't know Garmin's current policy with OS maps but most suppliers now use a subscription model. The advantage is that you always have the latest map revisions, the downside is that you have to pay. Subscription is usually around £20 a year (depending on what you sign up for) but generally gives you access to the full set of both 1:50,000 & 1:25,000 maps (& more).

Personally I've found the OSM based maps supplied with the Edge 1000 (& updated regularly) are generally adequate for cycling, even off road. They are much better (more accurate & show more features) than the City Navigator maps I got with my previous device. If I want the additional info of OS mapping (but rarely do when cycling) I have that on my phone.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Yes, some time ago I needed a factory exchange for my ailing Garmin. The new Garmin wouldn't accept my original OS map, I didn't bother pursuing it because it was free with the original device and I much prefer the OSM and TalkyToaster map varieties
I realise that my experience doesn't help you, but I would try explaining the issue on the Garmin UK Twitter feed I can't believe that there isn't a legitimate fix for this
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:Where's Mick F? He'll tell you how to get them for nowt!!
Not exactly nowt, but if you were to buy the maps from Garmin by download or SD card, you can copy them ad infinitum by using an unlock code. Copy the downloaded one to an SD card. You can then sell your SD card. It therefore means that if you do this often enough, you could actually make a profit.

What I did was buy the SD card version, copy it onto a CD and into my device too, then sell the original SD card at half price. Since then, I've given away copies. The recipient sending a stamped addressed envelope containing a blank 4Gb SD card. Done that two or three times.

Not made any money I can assure everyone. It meant that I got my maps at effectively half price.

The website I got the code from no longer exists. Just tried it now, but I still have the code somewhere.
Mick F. Cornwall