Grayling is derailing and failing in seamanship

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Grayling is derailing and failing in seamanship

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Swiss (German) media report that Seaborne Frieght's Director Glenn Dudley has previously been declared bankrupt and has tax evasion form.

https://m.srf.ch/news/international/bri ... t-woanders
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Canuk wrote:I take issue with the statement 'Britain is one of the least corrupt nations in the world'. This is clearly rose tinted spectacles territory. My personal business experience of this would contradict that. Even on a purely personal level, having contractors and builders work for us in the uk, almost all of them are willing to forego any sort of paperwork and accept cash payments to avoid tax.

I very much doubt the uk is any more 'legit' than Spain or Italy in this respect. You might like to believe its so, but there is a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

Corruptions Perception Index produced by Transparency International rates Britain as 8th equal least corrupt country. Italy is rated as the 50th least corrupt and Spain 42nd. France is 23rd. https://www.transparency.org/news/featu ... index_2017

You obviously disagree so let us see your mountain of evidence. If what you say is correct that would mean Transparency International may itself be corrupt - something I very much doubt.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

pete75 wrote:
Canuk wrote:I take issue with the statement 'Britain is one of the least corrupt nations in the world'. This is clearly rose tinted spectacles territory. My personal business experience of this would contradict that. Even on a purely personal level, having contractors and builders work for us in the uk, almost all of them are willing to forego any sort of paperwork and accept cash payments to avoid tax.

I very much doubt the uk is any more 'legit' than Spain or Italy in this respect. You might like to believe its so, but there is a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

Corruptions Perception Index produced by Transparency International rates Britain as 8th equal least corrupt country. Italy is rated as the 50th least corrupt and Spain 42nd. France is 23rd. https://www.transparency.org/news/featu ... index_2017

You obviously disagree so let us see your mountain of evidence. If what you say is correct that would mean Transparency International may itself be corrupt - something I very much doubt.

This from the self same Transparency International:

UK the most corrupt Country on Earth

"He has now been backed by the campaign group Transparency International, whose head of UK advocacy and research Rachel Davies told The Independent: “It’s absolutely true that the UK is one of the leading financial centres for the laundering of corrupt money from overseas, whether through the property market, luxury goods or other sectors."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 58126.html

How does that grab you? :lol:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote:

"He has now been backed by the campaign group Transparency International, whose head of UK advocacy and research Rachel Davies told The Independent: “It’s absolutely true that the UK is one of the leading financial centres for the laundering of corrupt money from overseas, whether through the property market, luxury goods or other sectors."

Hmmm If they have knowledge of that then I'm sure they took that into account when drawing up their Corruptions index. The index certainly likely to be more accurate than a press article. Oh and Transparency International didn't call the UK the most corrupt Country on Earth as you seem to imply.
Like many colonials you seem to have a little chip on your shoulder where the UK is concerned. Maybe one day you reach national maturity an dgrow out of it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

pete75 wrote:
Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Hmmm If they have knowledge of that then I'm sure they took that into account when drawing up their Corruptions index. The index certainly likely to be more accurate than a press article. Oh and Transparency International didn't call the UK the most corrupt Country on Earth as you seem to imply.
Like many colonials you seem to have a little chip on your shoulder where the UK is concerned. Maybe one day you reach national maturity an dgrow out of it.

No, the Italian reviewer said that. But Transparency International did say 'It’s absolutely true that the UK is one of the leading financial centres for the laundering of corrupt money from overseas'.

You're the funniest man not on television! Even when I provide the evidence to utterly refute your claims (from your own source!) you still throw a cream puff! You might want to try taking the log out of your own eye. And for your information, I hold a British passport and I voted on Brexit. How do you like those apples? :lol: :lol:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Canuk wrote:

No, the Italian reviewer said that. But Transparency International did say 'It’s absolutely true that the UK is one of the leading financial centres for the laundering of corrupt money from overseas'.

You're the funniest man not on television! Even when I provide the evidence to utterly refute your claims (from your own source!) you still throw a cream puff! You might want to try taking the log out of your own eye. And for your information, I hold a British passport and I voted on Brexit. How do you like those apples? :lol: :lol:

Well that certainly goes against what you've said previously ie that you're a Canadian.

Utterly refute? So the Corruptions index is completely wrong?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

pete75 wrote:
Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Well that certainly goes against what you've said previously ie that you're a Canadian.

I have dual Nationality.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Canuk wrote:

I have dual Nationality.

WHy if you dislike this country as much as you appear to?
horizon

Post by horizon »

pete75 wrote:
My experience is of buying IT systems in local government and what you describe certainly didn't go on with us despite the spending of millions of pounds. It may well happen in some cases but to claim, as you did, that it happens in all is fantasy.

As you say it's a political viewpoint - since when did these need much of a factual basis.

I thought it might be worth clarifying that I'm referring to lobbying not to bribery and corruption. I'm actually with you on this pete75 that the UK is relatively corruption free. But there's plenty of lobbying! My problem with lobbying is that it favours the coporation (because it is expensive and time consuming), the corporation wants contracts and so contracts we get. So for example Heathrow expansion is good for the owners of Heathrow, good for the firms that build runways and good for the airlines. It might not be best for local residents, but they won't have the same resources to lobby (not bribe) ministers. So Heathrow expansion is what we get. It isn't so much a case of individual firms benefitting but of public policy being distorted by the need to win contracts.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Here's the latest: happily the confusion over the ferry contract has been resolved: :lol:
https://newsthump.com/2019/01/04/brexit ... t-traders/
I'm glad that's been sorted.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Actually, it's just conceivable that the above might be fake news. I've just turned up the definitive account:
https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2019/01/03 ... an-prince/
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Enlightening...

[youtube]qhgZHvHG9fs[/youtube]
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:Enlightening...

[youtube]qhgZHvHG9fs[/youtube]

Their(planned?)incompetnence knows no bounds........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:Their(planned?)incompetnence knows no bounds........

Incompetence? You think??

He knows exactly what he's doing. I get the impression he thought it would sneak in under the radar.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I note that the above is the RT Channel, which is Kremlin sponsored. Mr Putin, who wants the EU to break up, must be loving this.
John