Anna Soubry MP: What on earth is going on?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Anna Soubry MP: What on earth is going on?

Post by reohn2 »

I see the country I was born in and lived in all my life sinking into the depths and it's tragic to watch.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

JimL wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Lets forget politics
Let forget Brexit
Lets forget that this person is an MP
Lets forgetful that she is female

Lets put in in perspective.

If the group approached a cyclist and harangued, bullied and intimidated them for that?

But she is not a cyclist ( and probably doesn't like cyclists ). She is a politician and she has shouted down people in the House of Commons in the past why shouldn't ordinary people express their views about her. She was carrying out political activities (the interview) ,she was at her place of work (Westminster ) . It was a peferctly reasonable expression of free speech and if the the video on the BBC website represents the worst of the behaviour it was nothing.

The house of commons is a special place where arguing is allowed, a sort of theatre
I find it very concerning that Diane Abbott is criticised so much (black, female)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

JimL wrote:But she is not a cyclist ( and probably doesn't like cyclists ).

https://twitter.com/anna_soubry/status/ ... 8820711426

Your comments on the attempts to intimidate her are equally ill- informed.
JimL

Post by JimL »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

So is she a cyclist and does she like cyclists?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

No it wasn’t a perfectly acceptable example of free speech, she was been harassed and called a piece of s****, this was lead by one of the main Tommy Robinson supporters. It was the same group who harassed Owen Jones.

Free speech is about being able to state your views and I will always stand by the right to protest, but chasing someone down the street and shouting at them is harassment. The police were there but were next to useless.
NUKe

Post by JimL »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
JimL wrote:
Let forget Brexit

If the group approached a cyclist and harangued, bullied and intimidated them for that?

But she is not a cyclist ( and probably doesn't like cyclists ). She is a politician and she has shouted down people in the House of Commons in the past why shouldn't ordinary people express their views about her. She was carrying out political activities (the interview) ,she was at her place of work (Westminster ) . It was a peferctly reasonable expression of free speech and if the the video on the BBC website represents the worst of the behaviour it was nothing.

The house of commons is a special place where arguing is allowed, a sort of theatre
I find it very concerning that Diane Abbott is criticised so much (black, female)

Diane Abbot is criticised for her stupidy and hypocrisy .She is however a great fan of politics existing beyond Westminster but then again she may be a hypocrite
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

JimL wrote:
Let forget Brexit

No, a line was crossed and this is not acceptable behaviour.
JimL

Post by JimL »

NUKe wrote:No it wasn’t a perfectly acceptable example of free speech, she was been harassed and called a piece of s****, this was lead by one of the main Tommy Robinson supporters. It was the same group who harassed Owen Jones.

Free speech is about being able to state your views and I will always stand by the right to protest, but chasing someone down the street and shouting at them is harassment. The police were there but were next to useless.

That will be because the police know the difference between free speech and harassment. If anybody thinks that was harassment they have lived a sheltered life or are a tadge dishonest
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

JimL wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Soubry, who told the inquiry she loved cycling as a child and that her husband bought her a mountain bike for Christmas, described herself as ‘wildly enthusiastic’ about cycling

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/campa ... y-latest-0

Next time, do some basic research before surfacing your prejudices? Took me 30 seconds.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

JimL wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Whether she is a cyclist or not has no bearing whatsoever on whether she is entitled to be treated with courtesy and respect.
JimL

Post by JimL »

mr bajokoses wrote:
JimL wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Whether she is a cyclist or not has no bearing whatsoever on whether she is entitled to be treated with courtesy and respect.

I think you missed the point of the cycling reference , it was initailly made by another poster as an analogy that I disagreed with . She is a politician and has to take what she gives.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

JimL wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:
JimL wrote:

I think you missed the point of the cycling reference , it was initailly made by another poster as an analogy that I disagreed with . She is a politician and has to take what she gives.

Seems fair. Please post that video of her and a bunch of her friends screaming abuse in the face of a single pedestrian as she walks to work. Thanks.

[edited for typo]
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

JimL wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:
JimL wrote:

What I read was an assumption that she wasn't a cyclist and probably didn't like cyclists, which was later shown to be incorrect. The context in which this assumption was made suggested that in some way Anna Soubry was 'asking for it'.

Maybe I misread your completely benign intentions.
JimL

Post by JimL »

It is of course completely irrelevant but the post proving that she is a cyclist does nothing of the sort . Show me a health minister that isn't enthusiastic about other people cycling ? The strong implication is she doesn't cycle on the roads and she explicitly states her children are not allowed on the roads , far too dangerous. Whether she ever used the mountain bike we don't know and what child didn't go through a cycling phase but most don't class themselve as cyclists in adulthood.

I'll ignore your other comments
Last edited by JimL on 8 Jan 2019, 8:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

JimL wrote:It is of course completely irrelevant but the post proving that she is a cyclist does nothing of the sort . Show me a health minister that isn't enthusiastic about other people cycling ? The strong implication is she doesn't cycle on the roads and she explicitly states her children are not allowed on the roads , far too dangerous. Whether she ever used the mountain bike we don't know and what child didn't go through a cycling phase but most don't class themselve as cyclists in adulthood.

Nice attempt but I see you moving those goalposts. The links were disproving the claim that she disliked cyclists...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.