FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by mercalia »

it's a wonderful life starring David Cameron & his sidekick George Osborne
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

mercalia wrote:what do people here think of La La Land? I have ordered a cheap blu ray copy ( new £4 ) from Ebay as I seem to remember it got good reviews.

Utter dross… we turned it off after about 10 minutes

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

mercalia wrote:what do people here think of La La Land? I have ordered a cheap blu ray copy ( new £4 ) from Ebay as I seem to remember it got good reviews.

Saw this in the cinema and loved it. This was my review at the time (posted on another forum I frequent);

'La La Land' (2016) starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.

Date night to the flicks with Mrs. Spinners and we've been looking forward to this one. The singing and dancing isn't that good but it's an excellent story well told and the film looks absolutely gorgeous. I'll not go over the plot but we both especially enjoyed the last 15-20 minutes where it all goes a bit weird in a parallel universe type way. There are better films out there but not too many and Emma Stone's Oscar win is richly deserved.

Me. 9/10
Mrs. Spinners. 8/10
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

peetee wrote:Amelie. Quite simply brilliant and the most beautiful heartwarming movie I have ever seen and my fave movie ever.

Yes!

'Amelie', 'Life is Beautiful' and 'Cinema Paridiso' are my three favourite foreign language films
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Loads of brilliant Films to see over the Christmas period. My recorder is groaning with classics to enjoy. Quadrophenia tonight, Red River, Jim Cary's Scrooge, Brief Encounter… I'm using the TV24 app on my tablet to list out Films with excellent imdb ratings and get them onto disc.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Zootropolis/Zoomania was one of the best films, just got the music in my head for some reason :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Bird Box' starring Sandra Bullock, Trevant Rhodes and John Malkovich.

First time we've had a film off Netflix and only because our daughter was desperate to watch this much hyped film. Actually, it was OK once you'd accepted the story of some unseen sinister presence (an optical contagion?) driving almost all of the world's population to suicide once they'd seen it/them. That part features heavily in the trailer and is very disturbing. Anyway, Bullock plays an expectant single mother who manages to survive the initial outbreak but, after five years of sheltering in Malkovich's home with a group of fellow survivors, their safety becomes compromised and Bullock's character and two young children must attempt to reach a group of fellow survivors who claim to be in a safe zone. The only problem is that they are miles away down river and they must make the journey blindfolded. Despite a slightly underwhelming ending still a solid 7/10 from me.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Started watching that. Formulaic & boring.

Less boring is the Birdbox Challenge, which inspires idiots to walk around blindfold. The Darwin Awards should be fun this year.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Mary Poppins Returns' (2018) starring Emily Blunt, Ben Whishaw and Emily Mortimer.

It was Mrs. Spinners birthday yesterday (you're right, she doesn't look a day older) which was a good enough reason to go to the cinema last night to see this. For some reason, I didn't really like 'Mary Poppins' until I became a parent myself and now I never miss it when it's shown on TV. Anyway, this sequel sees our heroine fly in to rescue the (now adult) Banks' children and especially the recently widowed Michael and his three lovely children who are about to lose the Banks' family home on Cherry Tree Lane. What follows is as colourful and joyous as the original with loads of affectionate nods to the past but, for me, the songs are not quite strong enough and not memorable enough... although they may, of course, become memorable in time! Emily Blunt does fantastically well as Mary Poppins but I do have an issue with her clipped accent which is somewhere between Celia Imrie in a Victoria Wood sketch and Celia Johnson in 'Brief Encounter'. Overall, not as good as the original but a long, long way from being a pale shadow. 8/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'First Man' (2018) starring Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy.

Rattlingly good Neil Armstrong biopic. 9/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:

Al

:)
I too thought it micturate poor. Couldn't understand the raving, critical and popular, at all. Emperor's new clothes?

I sat, or rather lay through all of it - show outside at herne hill velodrome facing down some snotty public schoolboys who complained about the space my bike took while they flung down blankets and hampers. Doubly glad when it ended.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Spinners wrote:
peetee wrote:Amelie. Quite simply brilliant and the most beautiful heartwarming movie I have ever seen and my fave movie ever.

Yes!

'Amelie', 'Life is Beautiful' and 'Cinema Paridiso' are my three favourite foreign language films

Sorry, thought the first too cute, the second made me angry, and I don't mean about the Nazis.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:

Al

I too thought it micturate poor. Couldn't understand the raving, critical and popular, at all. Emperor's new clothes?

I sat, or rather lay through all of it - show outside at herne hill velodrome facing down some snotty public schoolboys who complained about the space my bike took while they flung down blankets and hampers. Doubly glad when it ended.

open air cinema? like in th eold days usa and cars?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

some blu rays I have picked up recently

Hobo WIth a Shotgun ( Rutger Hauer)
Apocalypto
Wild Hogs ( road movie comedy)
The Family (DeNero)
Mr Turner
The Girl with the dragon tattoo etc ( series of 3 films with noomi rapace)
Man of Steel ( aka superman )
Enchanted (Amy Adams)

I rip them all onto my Windows 7 Media Center.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:
Sweep wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:

Al

open air cinema? like in th eold days usa and cars?

Yes - look out for the Herne Hill Free Film Fest - the wonderful Neil Brand may do another of his live piano accompaniments to silents in the square outside the station.
Sweep