Blood Pressure Monitors

ket

Blood Pressure Monitors

Post by ket »

I am thinking of getting one, having been told by my cardiologist to keep a regular check on the old BP. There's a variety of ones for home use and I understand some are not very accurate. Does anyone have recommendations for ones to consider, not too expensive, and without a multitude of features. Priorities being accuracy and ease of use.

Hoping some of you will have had some experience of these items.

I haven't seen a thread on this topic. Have I missed it?
Bonefishblues

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Post by Bonefishblues »

I use the predecessor of this. More than adequate.

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/blood- ... r-and-cuff
softlips

Post by softlips »

Choose a monitor from here:

https://bihsoc.org/bp-monitors/

Look on the NICE site how to erasure your BP properly- in 33 years working in cardiology I’ve only experienced it being done correctly ONCE!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

That table tells me at least that you're going to have to be quite unlucky to buy a monitor that isn't approved!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I use the Omron Evolv.... seems to work for me and when compared against the system at work. it is accurate
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Boots own brand here. I read somewhere it's made by omron a respected brand for this.

Suggest you use it for trend observation not absolute accuracy
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I have a Micolife one and check it on a regular basis against someone(usually my GP) manually checking mine.
It's been acurate for the past 5 years or so.I think it cost around £50 IIRC
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
John100

Post by John100 »

The monitors are fine. They should be calibrated and checked every year, but as a guide they should be ok.
ket

Post by ket »

Thanks all. Very useful. I see that upper arm cuff ones are most popular & recommended.
There's a Lloyds & Boots nearby so that'll be my first place of call.
Syd

Post by Syd »

It a common question I get asked in my job all the time by community services in the NHS.

I would recommend any of the Omron range. The most important factor is to be sure the one you buy comes with the correct size cuff for your arm circumference and that you fit it and orientate it properly. A good test is that, when fitted, you should be able to fit only two fingers between the cuff and your arm whilst it is deflated.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have one bought from Lidl.
Used it extensively, and the results seem consistent with the way I'm feeling stress-wise ............... but the trouble is, how do you test them?

I have another thread on this subject on here, but in a nutshell, you can take your BP time and time again, and the results are all different. Swap arms, use two - one on each arm - and the readings will be different. You can do it down at the surgery with their machine on one arm and your device on the other - both different. Swap over, and another two different figures. Spend half an hour down there experimenting then rest for half an hour and re-experiment until you're blue in the face, and the readings will all be different every single time.

All you can do is to take your BP and record your readings and keep a log. Do it home in the warmth and comfort of your home. Build up a picture. That's the only way, and the only way recommended by my doctor and my pharmacist.

They are both happy, so my Lidl machine hasn't been used for months.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

The easiest calibration test is to take your machine to your GP/Nurse and do a comparison test. Do a test with your machine and then the doctor compares it with their manual system. The readings obviously should be very similar .
Last edited by cycleruk on 11 Jan 2019, 2:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
rob_wales

Post by rob_wales »

ket wrote:I am thinking of getting one, having been told by my cardiologist to keep a regular check on the old BP. There's a variety of ones for home use and I understand some are not very accurate. Does anyone have recommendations for ones to consider, not too expensive, and without a multitude of features. Priorities being accuracy and ease of use.

I've had one for years. I don't have a problem, but I just bought it I think out of vanity/reassurance. I do a lot of exercise and always have done, so I just wanted to check my vital stats are OK. Heart rate is normally 60bpm at resting, and blood-pressure is normally 120/80, which is normal. The problem is I can get a bit indulgent with these things. I also have a blood-sugar testing kit which I use, and our bathroom scales also measure body fat percentage, hydration levels, muscle percentage and probably other things as well! :roll:

Did your cardiologist suggest exactly how you should keep a check on your pressure? Did he not recommend any type of equipment?

You might find this useful http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Homemonitoring/Choosingyourmonitor
Syd

Post by Syd »

cycleruk wrote:The usual calibration test is to take your machine to your GP/Nurse and do a comparison test. Do a test with your machine and then the doctor compares it with their manual system. The readings obviously should be very similar .

The usual calibration test it to verify it against a known standard which is itself calibrated to a bigger specification.

In my line of work we comply with the MHRA Management of Medical Equipment Guidelines. From that we comply with manufacturer guidelines.

On the Omron range the manufacturer states a service interval of two years at which time it will be checked for calibration, leaks and maximum pressure cutoff.

That’s what should be happening with the one at the GP practice so, yes, it can let you know your own is in the right ballpark which, as long as you are just trending results, shouldn’t be a major issue.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

In the instructions for ours it says to use I on the same arm each time. Apparently a different arm might give different results.

Personally I'd not treat any personal BP monitor result as an absolute reading more use it for trending. If you use the results as approximate then monitor any changes over time rather than treating a single result as accurate and absolute. It could be you're a little out in the reading but any unusual changes over time could be important health indication that should send you to your gp or practice nurse for a check up.

Reminds me I've not used mine for many months. Will give it a go tonight I think.

One more thing. Our instructions also say you have to be sitting upright with your feet flat on the floor. IIRC sitting on a firm chair not something like a sofa.