Nazca Fuego or Back to the future!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
swscotland bentrider

Nazca Fuego or Back to the future!

Post by swscotland bentrider »

My first ever 'bent was a Fuego. I found it a bit too 'twitchy' for me and moved on to a succession of high racers. Then David at Laid-back loaned me his demo bike. What a difference. The accumulated experience of bent riding had ironed out that twitchiness and now it felt as stable as a stable thing. I bought another. Eventually I moved it on and spent some time on a Challenge Furai. Good but lacking in some ways. I sold it and for a while was bentless (is that a word?) A survey of my bike shed showed I had almost enough stuff to build another bike, so today I collected my next project, an apple green Fuego frameset that I intend to build and use for this years tour. I'll report on progress but already it is so good to be back! :D
hercule

Re: Nazca Fuego or Back to the future!

Post by hercule »

My Fuego was bought second hand from David quite a few years ago, it’s the 4th recumbent bike I’ve owned (we shall say nothing of the trikes...) and though the learning curve has been lengthy, it’s pretty much the only two wheeler I ride now. I don’t intend to part with it ever! Switching to superman bars has transformed it for me.
swscotland bentrider

I've always used tiller on the Fuego, but I have a set of superman bars on a Performer stem in the shed. After reading the experiences of a few of you I may give them a try.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

+1 for the Fuego! Modded mine to give a slightly wider gear range at both ends over standard ‘touring set up. Very happy with tiller as I have numerous very tight corners to negotiate -push tiller forward for slow speed manoeuvres, lay back again for that lovely mile eating feeling. Hands close together over the brake pods to reduce any twitchy impulses from the rider.

Got accosted twice yesterday by riders asking if it had a motor . . . :lol:
hercule

Post by hercule »

I will admit to being tempted to go back and try the tiller once again... after much more time on the bike this past summer (due to feeling more confident in riding it) I might not be so liable to seize up in slow manoeuvres as I did before. It’s a bit more aero and I can lay the seat back a bit more again (have to have it fully upright with the superman bars or I can’t reach!). If you don’t fit the cables inside the stem it should only be a matter of twenty minutes or so to switch over.
swscotland bentrider

Well after setting the bike up with superman type bars I've reverted to tiller. I didn't feel as comfortable as I expected with the superman bars. I think this is because the grips are almost level with my shoulders. Looking at images from my gaucho days the bars were set a little lower (or the seat more upright) There is also some loss of forward vision. With a small front wheel there seemed less room to drop a leg in a sharp turn than on a higher machine.
I've now set up the bars so that they are further away than i used to have them (thus shortening the tiller). I used to run them almost in my lap but these are set a bit higher. Roughly visually in line with the bottom bracket. Not road tested yet but feels OK. Arms not as folded as before. :D
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

I ride an ICE B1 with hamster bars (tiller steering) as well as a Qnt 26. I will be very soon going to Bikefix to collect a Challenge Fujin SL2 with tiller steering. I would like to try superman bars but everyone I've spoken to about it advises me against it. Also, I've recently read that for tight turns you have to drop the inside leg. I think the only way for me to find out is to go somewhere and try a bike with them but I don't know of any near Plymouth that I can try.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Hi Donald,

I've had superman bars on a Giro, a Metabikes, a Stratus XP and a Paseo and I've been able to make them work without needing to drop a leg in tight turns. They provide more "bike-like" steering than tillers and more real-estate for handlebar furniture. Tillers are more compact and more aero though.
Last edited by UpWrong on 9 Jan 2019, 10:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

UpWrong wrote:They provide more "bike-like" steering than tillers and more real-estate for handlebar furniture.

This is the exact reason that I want to try them.

As well as having no way locally to try them I'm having trouble finding somewhere to buy them.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
hercule

Post by hercule »

You might get lucky and snag a pair on eBay... there was one there recently (now sold). There are also a couple of German sellers on that site that sell them new (though postage costs are a bit high). I bought mine from David Gardiner at Laid Back Bikes in Edinburgh, even with postage they were cheaper than buying direct from Nazca. :D

From what I remmber of the original Velovision review of the B1, they use the same stem as the tiller, just rotated 180 degrees. You might need to fit new cables for longer runs though (but my Fuego was fine with the original cables).

I like them. I’ve had no problems with leg interference and in fact I find slow speed control much improved. My only complaint is that I have to have the seat at its maximum height as my wee short arms can’t reach otherwise :roll:
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Cyclecentric would no doubt import new Bacchetta bars for you. D-Tek might have a set of bars that he's willing to sell.
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

Having purchased the entire remaining spares stock of ICE Two wheelers B1 B2 B3 8)
From the Falmouth Factory sometime ago .
I hope to provide backup for existing owners .
Oh and I have those "Pesky" handlebars that Donald mentioned
.....so you don't have to source from Euroland or Trumpville :roll:

Hope that assists Kevin D