Yellow Jacket dilemma

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Yellow Jacket dilemma

Post by 661-Pete »

No not the French Gilets Jaunes....

I'm talking about the English variety as sported by scum like this unpleasant individual.

Trouble is, I do wear my faithful old Altura jacket - which is yellow - when out cycling after dark (and also in daytime when cold or wet). And sometimes when off the bike. But I don't want to be in any way identified with this mob. Will the fact that mine is zipped and full-sleeved, rather than just a waistcoat, identify me as a bona fide wearer of hi-viz?

And let's not resume the hoary old debate about whether hi-viz makes you more visible or not! I wear mine because it's comfortable and keeps me warm and dry. In my experience - speaking as a motorist - I do find that cyclists wearing hi-viz show up for me sooner, on a dark road, than cyclists not in hi-viz. I concede that others dispute this finding.

Perhaps I should change to orange?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Re: Yellow Jacket dilemma

Post by kwackers »

Just need to modify your current one.

mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:And let's not resume the hoary old debate about whether hi-viz makes you more visible or not! I wear mine because it's comfortable and keeps me warm and dry. In my experience - speaking as a motorist - I do find that cyclists wearing hi-viz show up for me sooner, on a dark road, than cyclists not in hi-viz. I concede that others dispute this finding.

If only you hadn't put those last two sentences on there - but you did, so let me point out that showing up sooner isn't what's disputed - it's whether it's significantly sooner and whether that does any good! Anyway, the research is in and hi-viz is considered harmful in https://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters ... cle23.html
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I wear hi-viz vests for work and have done for twenty years or more, as does practically everyone on any well run building site, so they are to be associated with decent people getting on with some honest task. People who bring them into disrepute should be stripped of them.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pwa wrote:I wear hi-viz vests for work and have done for twenty years or more, as does practically everyone on any well run building site, so they are to be associated with decent people getting on with some honest task. People who bring them into disrepute should be stripped of them.

I was going to say he's a cyclist - half the population hate him already... :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pwa wrote:I wear hi-viz vests for work and have done for twenty years or more, as does practically everyone on any well run building site, so they are to be associated with decent people getting on with some honest task. People who bring them into disrepute should be stripped of them.

I was going to say he's a cyclist - half the population hate him already... :wink:

Which half don't?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

+ 1. I've worn hi-viz whilst working at everything from menial to professional level positions, as many people have (NB. And while it's irrelevant, I've honestly never met a poor sort wearing one :? ). The basic EN471 standard are incredibly cheap, c/w 10-20 times the reflective area of a purpose produced cycling high viz
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:No not the French Gilets Jaunes....

I'm talking about the English variety as sported by scum like this unpleasant individual.

Trouble is, I do wear my faithful old Altura jacket - which is yellow - when out cycling after dark (and also in daytime when cold or wet). And sometimes when off the bike. But I don't want to be in any way identified with this mob. Will the fact that mine is zipped and full-sleeved, rather than just a waistcoat, identify me as a bona fide wearer of hi-viz?

And let's not resume the hoary old debate about whether hi-viz makes you more visible or not! I wear mine because it's comfortable and keeps me warm and dry. In my experience - speaking as a motorist - I do find that cyclists wearing hi-viz show up for me sooner, on a dark road, than cyclists not in hi-viz. I concede that others dispute this finding.

Perhaps I should change to orange?

Actually the French lot seem worse than him - well at least he restricts his unpleasantness to shouting not

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:well at least he restricts his unpleasantness to shouting...
So did hitler.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Camouflage, zebra stripes, pyjamas :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
So did hitler.

Yes he did apart from the 6 million who died in his camps, the rape of Poland, the wholesale massacres in Russia and so on and so forth.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
So did hitler.

Yes he did apart from the 6 million who died in his camps, the rape of Poland, the wholesale massacres in Russia and so on and so forth.
I should have added "....at first".
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:So did hitler.

Not even then - there was stuff like the Munich Beer Hall Putsch quite early on in 1923 not long after he'd left the army. The putsch involved the use of machine guns, about 20 deaths with Hitler himself firing shots.
Anyhow reprehensible though the activities of the UK yellow vests are they're nowhere near as bad as those of their French counterparts encouraged by Marine Le Pen, a far more dangerous neo fascist than any in this country.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Not even then - there was stuff like the Munich Beer Hall Putsch quite early on in 1923 not long after he'd left the army. [...]

But German Workers Party Party Chairman Anton Drexler "was impressed with Hitler's oratorical skills" (wikipedia) as early as 1919, so the shouting indeed came first.

Still - nasty people. Are the UK Yellow Jackets a rebranding of blackshirts?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cours

Post by Cours »

We English do this sort of thing so much better though.
London and Manchester Riots 2011.
Attachments
London-Riots-2011.jpg
london-riot.jpg
Riots-break-out-in-north--007~2.jpg
Riots-break-out-in-north--007~2.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 311 times