Plea to roadies....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Re: Plea to roadies....

Post by peetee »

Nice one, Cunobelin. Sometimes you need to stand your ground. I did it once after a PC stopped me for allegedly driving through a red lit level crossing. After our discussion it was clear he was actually angling for undue care and attention and I was free to continue on my way.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

661-Pete wrote:If you're out in force, on a club run on a fine but chilly Winter morn (admirable!)...
And you all gather in a lay-by to 'take five' or whatever (understandable!)...
And a not-so-young cyclist bears down on said lay-by at his usual pootling pace (OK, a bit faster than pootling, it was downhill)...
Please don't all charge out of said lay-by at once, just as not-so-young cyclist draws level....
Not-so-young-cyclist had to swerve right across the road....
Not-so-young-cyclist would take a very dim view, if this manoeuvre were performed by a car. Why should a peloton be so different?

Its funny, I had a similar experience one time. Passing a layby on the road into my village I moved out toward the middle of the lane because there was a group of roadies looking like they were about to pull out. Me in woolly hat, panniers, chunky old hybrid (there are many like it but this one is mine). Seven or eight whippet thin blokes on whippet thin road bikes, lycra, sunglasses and helmets. They pulled out of the layby just as I got level with them, but then didn't overtake me :x ! They just kind of hung in a cloud all around me, which meant I had roadies close behind me (not happy about that, I'm not an experienced group rider), and I couldn't even move over toward the kerb out of their way because there was a line of roadies between me and the kerb. They finally all decided to pull away, but it felt dashed inconsiderate! :roll:
mjr

Post by mjr »

brooksby wrote:They just kind of hung in a cloud all around me, which meant I had roadies close behind me (not happy about that, I'm not an experienced group rider), and I couldn't even move over toward the kerb out of their way because there was a line of roadies between me and the kerb. They finally all decided to pull away, but it felt dashed inconsiderate! :roll:

I believe it's called swamping (shoaling if it happens when stopped at a traffic light) and it's usually regarded as very poor form. Signal left and see if any of them poo themselves, grab their brakes and clear the line of roadies for you :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

the nouveau cyclist of the last 15 years or so seemingly has a significantly different attitude to that of before, their making up of the faster groups of clubs' riders far too often have become the 'hot hatch w@@@@r' of the bike riding world :twisted:
You can ride fast, hard and in a group, but you can also be courteous and do hazard perception, that meaning the hazard you present to others, far too many are selfish and dangerous, i'd bet a penny to a pound they drive in the same arrogant manner!
Luckily I rarely meet fast club runs, the last one I did wasn't too clever either.

It's not surprising the level of crashes/incidents have increased and sportives are just faux races with ridiculously low standards of riding on display.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Ah well .. If we fail to change the behaviour of motorists at least we can fight amongst ourselves ..... :roll: ... Bloody Cyclists, nothing but
trouble .......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The utility cyclist wrote:
the nouveau cyclist of the last 15 years or so.

:lol:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

landsurfer wrote:Ah well .. If we fail to change the behaviour of motorists at least we can fight amongst ourselves ..... :roll: ... Bloody Cyclists, nothing but
trouble .......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep divide and rule....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
The utility cyclist

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

what do you find funny, there's a significant shift in the way roadies in the last decade and more have changed how they ride, their attitude to safety and not for the better. it's not all but the noddy hat wearing roadie are far worse than the previous generation. Maybe you'd like to share some thoughts on why you think my comment is laughable/funny?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

what do you find funny, there's a significant shift in the way roadies in the last decade and more have changed how they ride, their attitude to safety and not for the better. it's not all but the noddy hat wearing roadie are far worse than the previous generation. Maybe you'd like to share some thoughts on why you think my comment is laughable/funny?

40+ years ago we learnt group discipline in clubs that combined racing and touring
Perhaps Club Captains could enforce discipline
I am a bit older now, really don't fancy riding in a big group, especially downhill :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

I don’t know where to start :lol:
Marcus Aurelius

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:

40+ years ago we learnt group discipline in clubs that combined racing and touring
Perhaps Club Captains could enforce discipline
I am a bit older now, really don't fancy riding in a big group, especially downhill :?

Quite.
The utility cyclist

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:

I don’t know where to start :lol:

So just trolling then with nothing to contribute ... I see :roll:
iainb

Post by iainb »

Stradageek wrote:Sadly often true - cycling along minding my own business I hear a distant shout from behind. I carry on wondering what that was and am soon passed by a pack of clubbies. Do they pass the time of day or say hello? No - the leader of the pack just says "why aren't you wearing a helmet" as does another rider "yea, why aren't you wearing a helmet". Friendly lot aren't they :(

Is the latest thing? Happened to me twice recently, never known it before in over 30 years of riding!!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Do they wait for an answer?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Club roadies in full club kit for identifiability often make comments about not wearing helmets. Usually to my partner when cycling with our son. He's not as keen on cycling for leisure these days. I hope that's not linked to obnoxious club chaingangs.

Next time I am present and hear it (not always the case because sometimes I find myself ahead of them waiting) I will contact the club secretary. Well unless I express my opinion on their behaviour when it happens of course. I'm a big lad so not many negative comments get made in my earshot. I think that says a lot about their character don't you? They'll criticise women out of earshot of their partners but not when there's a big fella around who could probably cause them problems.

BTW I firmly believe cyclists are in the majority good people who do behave in considerately. Group mentality does tend to create pack behaviour especially if single sex groups. More women cyclists are needed. All negative cycling group contact was with all male groups in our experience.