Motorists Punish Helmet-Wearing Cyclists With Close Passes, Confirms Data Recrunch

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Wanlock Dod

Motorists Punish Helmet-Wearing Cyclists With Close Passes, Confirms Data Recrunch

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Interesting article on a new analysis of some old data.
pwa

Re: Motorists Punish Helmet-Wearing Cyclists With Close Passes, Confirms Data Recrunch

Post by pwa »

Walker's study is the one I bring up when discussing helmets with someone who assumes helmets must make you safer. I don't have those conversations very often, but when I do this study is the one that says "hang on, there is more to this than you might think".
Ontherivet77

Re: Motorists Punish Helmet-Wearing Cyclists With Close Passes, Confirms Data Recrunch

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I usually wear an helmet, but yesterday I opted for a woolly hat and found that there was absolutely no difference in the way drivers perceived me or overtook me. I will be posting my findings in the Lancet shortly. :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ontherivet77 wrote:I usually wear an helmet, but yesterday I opted for a woolly hat and found that there was absolutely no difference in the way drivers perceived me or overtook me. I will be posting my findings in the Lancet shortly. :D

I've not been wearing a helmet for a few years now and don't find any difference,there are still just as many idiots close passing me.
If anything the problem is getting worse.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

reohn2 wrote:
Ontherivet77 wrote:I usually wear an helmet, but yesterday I opted for a woolly hat and found that there was absolutely no difference in the way drivers perceived me or overtook me. I will be posting my findings in the Lancet shortly. :D

I've not been wearing a helmet for a few years now and don't find any difference,there are still just as many idiots close passing me.

If I'm honest in Summer the main reason I'd wear an helmet is to 1: Make me slightly more visible as it's a bright colour and 2: It keeps me from getting a sunburnt bald spot. I don't really have much confidence in it's safety aspects, but it is more ventilated than a hat.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Yet the article/data quoted appears to back up the helmet equals closer passing phenomena.

I am not a helmet wearer and most of my cycling is pretty rural or small town stuff. Though not exclusively so.
I get close passes sometimes. Very close, only rarely.

In another topic someone said (in London I think) that they had been shouted at, straight into the face "Pay effing road tax", by a ten year old!!
So I could imagine a parent of said urchin could well be tempted to close pass what he would perceive as a dedicated and "armored" cyclist taking his road space.

Personally I blame idiotic DM type anti cyclist propaganda.
The paper is full of narrow minded bigotry pf a similar and dangerous type.
I wish the Press Complaints Committee had proper "teeth", it would make the UK a better place.
All IMHO.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I used to wear a helmet (though only in town) but stopped during a rare heat-wave when it was just too hot. The extra passing distance and care I noticed from the traffic was so obvious that I never wore the helmet again. It probably helps that without it I am much more immediately identifiable as a granny on a bike :lol: .
Last edited by LollyKat on 10 Jan 2019, 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:I've not been wearing a helmet for a few years now and don't find any difference,there are still just as many idiots close passing me.

Not my experience. The numbers dropped noticeably and recently the problem is getting better, maybe because Norfolk have done a few Operation Close Pass runs now and the media coverage is more important than the numbers actually caught.

Ontherivet77 wrote:If I'm honest in Summer the main reason I'd wear an helmet is to 1: Make me slightly more visible as it's a bright colour and 2: It keeps me from getting a sunburnt bald spot. I don't really have much confidence in it's safety aspects, but it is more ventilated than a hat.

It's basically the same material as cavity wall insulation, so you can ventilate it all you like but a sun hat will still be cooler in my experience. I particularly do not miss putting sweaty squishy foam pads against my head after a stop where I've taken the helmet off.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Ontherivet77 wrote:If I'm honest in Summer the main reason I'd wear an helmet is to 1: Make me slightly more visible as it's a bright colour and 2: It keeps me from getting a sunburnt bald spot. I don't really have much confidence in it's safety aspects, but it is more ventilated than a hat.

For some values of "more ventilated"...
The vent holes are things you tend not to get in a hat, but the spaces between the vents are not at all breathable (watertight plastic shell over polystyrene foam) and because a helmet is (or at least should be...) snug fitting there's precious little space for air to move around inside. Also, while air can get in the vents easily, so can sunshine!

Try something like this...
if you want a bright hat that also helps keep sun (and rain) out of your eyes, fits in a pocket, and I would suggest is far more likely to be comfortable in warm weather.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I'm fortunate that my helmet covers my bald spot.
As for baseball caps or cycling hats being cooler as far as I'm concerned that is absolutely not the case and is a clear way to end up with sweat stained head. :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've not been wearing a helmet for a few years now and don't find any difference,there are still just as many idiots close passing me.

Not my experience. The numbers dropped noticeably and recently the problem is getting better, maybe because Norfolk have done a few Operation Close Pass runs now and the media coverage is more important than the numbers actually caught.....

Tuesday's ride,32 miles 12 miles of which were off road.Nine close passes,two very close indeed.
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote:

Not my experience. The numbers dropped noticeably and recently the problem is getting better, maybe because Norfolk have done a few Operation Close Pass runs now and the media coverage is more important than the numbers actually caught.....

Tuesday's ride,32 miles 12 miles of which were off road.Nine close passes,two very close indeed.

:-( Keep pressuring your local police commissioner and highways authority to sort it out!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote:Not my experience. The numbers dropped noticeably and recently the problem is getting better, maybe because Norfolk have done a few Operation Close Pass runs now and the media coverage is more important than the numbers actually caught.....

:-( Keep pressuring your local police commissioner and highways authority to sort it out!

From past experience I'm wasting my time.
W H Auden
Pastychomper

Drifting OT

Post by Pastychomper »

PDQ Mobile wrote:...
In another topic someone said (in London I think) that they had been shouted at, straight into the face "Pay effing road tax", by a ten year old!!
So I could imagine a parent of said urchin could well be tempted to close pass what he would perceive as a dedicated and "armored" cyclist taking his road space.

I've often wondered whether such a driver would drive aggressively when passing a large tractor or even a caterpillar-tracked combine. Last I checked, agricultural vehicles were exempt from anything described as "road tax".
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or indeed a significant number of cars on the roads... which "pay" £0, and therefore actually pay a negative amount, since the admin still has to be done...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.