It's March 29th, 23h00: What happens next?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

What happens next

Poll ended at 29 Mar 2019, 7:42pm

1. Glittering new world future for the UK
13%
2. The world welcomes trade with UK with open arms
16%
3. Slow, withering break up of the United Kingdom
33%
4. Rapid descent into unspeakable chaos
18%
5. Civil unrest resulting in martial law
2%
6. People's revolution on the streets, whole thing turned over
No votes
7. Don't know, no ideas.
18%

Total votes: 45

mr bajokoses

Re: It's March 29th, 23h00: What happens next?

Post by mr bajokoses »

661-Pete wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Bottom line: Brexit and no dividing border in Ireland are mutually exclusive. You can't be both in and out simultaneously, unless Ireland is United.

+1

Everything that has happened since the referendum has been an attempt to avoid this hardest of questions.

It seems to be getting more and more "Schrödinger" at every turn. You know - we are simultaneously both "in" and "out" of the EU, there is simultaneously both a "hard" and a "soft" Irish border ... and it can't be resolved until we open the box....

...and I give you one guess who's playing the role of the poor old moggie, in all this!

Who wants to look in the box?
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/08/pressure-grows-on-police-to-act-over-nazi-slurs-against-anna-soubry

Will 17 million people align themselves with this sorry lot and protest on the streets if Brexit is cancelled?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

It should be stated that I have absolutely no dog in this race. We've been in France nigh on three years now, another two and we could, if we wanted apply for citizenship and become full EU citizens (my partner anyway, I have right to stay indefinitely).

I guess in France and Germany there are too many home grown frictions and constitutional issues for the people of those countries to give too much of a hoot about Britain and what happens after the 29th. It would be fair to say I don't know a single French person who rarely gives it a second thought.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the Guardian summarises it's viewpoint

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/08/the-guardian-view-on-brexit-the-government-has-failed-its-time-to-go-back-to-the-people

" If Mrs May’s deal is rejected, as it should be, Britain should pause the article 50 process and put Brexit on hold. Parliament should explicitly reject no-deal. MPs should then open up the debate to the country: first, by establishing a citizens’ assembly to examine the options and issues that face the nation; and second, by giving parliament the right, if it so chooses, to put these alternatives in a referendum this year or next. Such a vote should not be a repeat of 2016, but a choice between new options for Britain’s future relationship with Europe which are spelled out and which parliament can implement."
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Anybody started stocking up in view of predicted shortages after the 29th? My wife has bought six cases of Veuve Clicquot just in case.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Last time we ordered Marmite it didn't arrive. We don't miss it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:Anybody started stocking up in view of predicted shortages after the 29th? My wife has bought six cases of Veuve Clicquot just in case.

I'm building a slight stockpile of the more difficult to obtain of my medications :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm stocking up with Old Speckled Hen and Hobgoblin.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I suppse Lidl will change agreat deal? all those EU items wont be here any more?
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:I suppse Lidl will change agreat deal? all those EU items wont be here any more?

They'll still be here, but especially if there's no deal, there may well be gaps in supply and the prices may go up.

It ain't just the foreign supermarkets that will have problems. Take another look at your weekly shop: plenty of things which you might think are from the UK are currently imported from the EU, such as beet caster sugar in Sainsburys (French) or lettuce in Waitrose (German). The UK imports 50% of its food - 30% from the EU and much of the remainder from countries relying on EU trade policies.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Listening to Farming Today on R4 most mornings, the beet sugar issue was discussed. Some time back I think.
UK is self sufficient in beet. If Sainsbury's buys foreign beet, more fool them.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cours

Post by Cours »

Mick F wrote:Listening to Farming Today on R4 most mornings, the beet sugar issue was discussed. Some time back I think.
UK is self sufficient in beet. If Sainsbury's buys foreign beet, more fool them.

I would think the reason they buy foreign beet is because its significanly cheaper than home grown. Same for peppers, garlic, brocolli, asparagus, ginger, avocados, courgette and tomatoes etc. All imported at vast cost savings = maximum profit for UK resellers. Expect this supply to dry up, maybe for months end and then when it is reestablished, you can guarantee the price will have risen dramatically.

Perishables will be the first things disappear off the shelves. Imagine xmas eve panic buying x1000.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Aldi seems to get stock from further afield. Israel and South America it's not all from the EU.

Guardian piece was interesting. What they basically propose is what the original referendum should have been like. The biggest political mistake of my lifetime was the way this referendum was set up.

There was no impartial evidence collected on what the outcomes might be. No independent assessment of the process nor the potential results. No options given nor discussed. There was no mandate for anything other than a slight majority for a very vague idea about leaving the EU. The potential versions of leave was ignored. Were the leave voters all for hard Brexit, Norway +++ or Canada or for a mythical elysium fields version of utopia with all our troubles disappeared?

I'm curious to know what would have the biggest vote out of remain, hard Brexit, Norway +++, Canada or May's settlement? Not possible now of course unless you get a second referendum.

BTW anyone else annoyed by the phrase "people's vote" for the second referendum idea. All national referenda are a vote by people, as are local and national elections. It's a nonsense name IMHO that I really wish would be forgotten.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I bet doom and gloom merchants will be pleased if their views are played out but I suspect the global supply chain is stronger than Brexit. Prices go up but supply at increased prices will happen. Demand stays so the b supply will too.

When oil prices zoomed up did petrol suddenly stop being supplied or did the price just go up and everyone moaned but still bought it?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:I suppse Lidl will change agreat deal? all those EU items wont be here any more?

They'll still be here, but especially if there's no deal, there may well be gaps in supply and the prices may go up.

It ain't just the foreign supermarkets that will have problems. Take another look at your weekly shop: plenty of things which you might think are from the UK are currently imported from the EU, such as beet caster sugar in Sainsburys (French) or lettuce in Waitrose (German). The UK imports 50% of its food - 30% from the EU and much of the remainder from countries relying on EU trade policies.

So what do you think will happen to all this food and medicine that we will be unable to obtain under a No Deal scenario? Wine lake? Butter mountain?
I think I am one of the absolute few on this forum who thinks that the world is not going to end in the event of a No Deal. I mean, we seemed to be capable of smoothly exporting and importing before we joined the EU for instance. I'm not that particularly bothered either way as I expect I'll be dead long before there are any great changes. whatever the outcome. I don't think there will be anyway. But I do find it a bit weird that members of this forum are so totally biased against the idea of us being outside the EU. Some quite derogatory comments against those that may have voted differently to most of the forum members. No balance here at all. Shame. :(
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

It's a nonsense name IMHO that I really wish would be forgotten.

Yup. It's an attempt to avoid being accused of being a re-run, which is futile.

Still, it's by no means the worst recent slogan on Brexit

"Brexit means Brexit"
"Take back Control"
"Strong and Stable"
"let's spend it on the NHS instead"

"Tell them Again" is proposed for leave in the event of a 2nd ref.

Orwell would have a field day.