World's steepest street?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

World's steepest street?

Post by 661-Pete »

Amid all the more weighty controversies that are dividing the peoples of the world at the present time - here's one of a more light-hearted nature:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... rld-record

So it's Baldwin Street, Dunedin, NZ vs. Pen Ffordd Llech, Harlech, Wales. Which one is going to come out the winner?

All you dedicated grimpeurs out there, reading this - have you tackled either one or both of them? Not I! I've walked up a small part of PFL, but never cycled it. And I've never been to NZ. I hope someone on here can go better...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
peetee

Re: World's steepest street?

Post by peetee »

I have walked FPL but I wasn't convinced it's the steepest road. I know it's not comparable directly but I rode Rosedale Chimney where I met an oncoming vehicle at the hairpin bend and was forced to use the inside line. That was DEFINITELY steeper. :oops:
Last edited by peetee on 10 Jan 2019, 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've had this discussion before.
My vote is for this street in Whitby.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.48896 ... bfov%3D100
Whitby 2.jpg
Whitby 1.jpg
Whitby 3.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Did you go there in your submarine Mick F?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Holidayed there in the late 50s and last time there I cycled there. :D

Grand tour of Scotland, N England and Wales 2008.
Took the train to Edinburgh, then rode to Inverness and out to the west coast, working my way down The Mull and to Arran, then SW Scotland, into England and across the North Pennines to Whitby.
From there, I went SW to Rosedale Chimney ........... I met Thirdcrank! :D ............. via Ripon to Preston, then south to North Wales, out west to Snowdonia and Carnarvon, then Llyn Peninsula, then south down the coast and then SE to pop out at Gloucester and headed home.

1400miles over three weeks.
http://my-grand-tour.blogspot.com
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Tried to cycle up Baldwin St in Dunedin 20 odd years ago.
Got about half way before running out of steam.
Actually the difficulty was trying to keep enough weight on the front to stop the front wheel lifting off the ground and trying to keep enough weight on the rear to stop the rear wheel from losing traction. Tricky.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There has to be a knack.
When I was riding the Chopper, I fitted panniers on the front to carry some weight so it wouldn't do wheelies on steep hills.
The back end was heavy enough, and as I'd modified the gearing, I had a good low-ish gear, and it was fine - even towing my trailer.

Take that design of bike, keep the weight on the front but with a good strong rear with a good wheelbase, plus having a low enough gear ratio, and it would and could be done. Steep as you like.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Presumably, the first requirement is for the centre of gravity of rider and machine to be in front of the back axle. Otherwise, overbalancing backwards is inevitable. Then, it needs a low enough gear to be able to ride up the hill (and without doing anything to shift the centre of gravity backwards.) If both those were achieved - perhaps by some sort of recumbent which had the rider's head at the front - there would come a point where the whole caboodle would just slide backwards down the hill, unless the back wheel was built with a toothed rim to run in a suitable track. All with Dvořák in the background. :wink: Or should that be Denza? :roll:
peetee

Post by peetee »

thirdcrank wrote:Presumably, the first requirement is for the centre of gravity of rider and machine to be in front of the back axle. Otherwise, overbalancing backwards is inevitable. Then, it needs a low enough gear to be able to ride up the hill (and without doing anything to shift the centre of gravity backwards.) If both those were achieved - perhaps by some sort of recumbent which had the rider's head at the front - there would come a point where the whole caboodle would just slide backwards down the hill, unless the back wheel was built with a toothed rim to run in a suitable track. All with Dvořák in the background. :wink: Or should that be Denza? :roll:

I think the opening to Carmina Burana should do the trick. :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Berridale .... Its a street, it has a cafe and a cemetery on it ..... .... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGn9AY0ysA
Ok it’s motorcycles and ok it’s in Belgium but it’s fun, and it would seem along wheel base is an advantage.
NUKe

Post by peetee »

NUKe wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGn9AY0ysA
Ok it’s motorcycles and ok it’s in Belgium but it’s fun, and it would seem along wheel base is an advantage.

I could do that on 23c slicks with a 43 tooth and a straight through block. 8)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NUKe wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGn9AY0ysA
I'm far from being a motorbike fan, but it almost brings a tear to one's eye, seeing all those bikes being seemingly destroyed. Do they get repaired and sent out on the trial again?

Before we even come to mention the riders. The blurb says, none of them were 'seriously' injured. Was all the minor 'damage' patched up?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The steepest Street is now in Wales...Bryn will be happy :D
CEFFF454-C232-4BE6-B93D-9C78F7569E44.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... d-steepest
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info