Jaden Moodie

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
100%JR

Re: Jayden Moody

Post by 100%JR »

Vorpal wrote:I, for one, think that we should let the police investigate and not condemn a *child* for what may be no more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So what if he was apparently doing something illegal? Would anyone condemn him if the attack has accurred when he was riding a bike on the pavement? I've seen plenty of young people illegally riding motorcycles on the road, on bridleways, and other places they don't belong in rural areas. Would they be similarly condemned, if attacked in the same way?

As for the gun gesture, lots of kids who aren't in gangs do that. And he was said to be an aspiring boxer; maybe he just wanted to be perceived as a 'tough'.

Lastly, there are perfectly legitimate reasons for a kid that age to be out doing things. Mini V does art and music after school on Thursdays, and takes the bus home afterwards. She usually gets home around 9:00 pm, but if she helps tidy up afterward, or the buses are delayed, she has come home as late as 9:30. She's 12. Would it be her fault if she were the victim of crime?

Would anyone's opinion be different, if the media only published pictures of him in a school uniform and a bland background? If he were white? or came from a rural village?

The world will never know what this child could have contributed. That's a tragedy.

RIP Jayden Moody.

Your sentiments are all very well and good but you(and others) seem to be omitting two key facts.

1.The Police stated it was a targetted attack,not random,not wrong place wrong time but targetted
2.The Police are also treating it as gang related.

For now I'm erring towards believing what the Police are saying.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

100%JR wrote:
Mick F wrote:
mercalia wrote:He was only 14 for God's sake. Where were his parents and why wasn't he at home?

I can walk around to my local Co-op at 21:45 and there's usually a small gang of lads and lasses,all school age,some of them my sons age(11)hanging about.I'm willing to bet the same happens all over the place.Some parents either don't know or don't care where their kids are.

seems to be MISQUOTE MERCALIA DAY? Get it right
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:
. mercalia wrote:
I would like to know about where he got the moped from whether it was stolen.
What I find strange about all this terrible affair, is that the moped hasn't been mentioned or explained and why a 14yo boy was riding one.

I suppose it pales into insignificance as far as the news people are concerned, but I think it should be mentioned that a 14yo boy was riding a moped on the roads of London in the early January darkness of an evening when he should have been at home.

I guess the priority, reasonably IMV, is to catch the (older) murderous thugs who killed the child.

get your quotes right I didnt say that
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mercalia wrote:seems to be MISQUOTE MERCALIA DAY? Get it right

Left a quote tag in,removed it now.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I guess the priority, reasonably IMV, is to catch the (older) murderous thugs who killed the child.
Yes.
Totally correct, and right too.

Meanwhile, the press could keep people informed of the wider view and maybe - just maybe - some people with influence could discuss this issue.

We had R4 on this lunchtime, and there was a head teacher saying how some children are crying at school because they are hungry.
They have a breakfast club ......... (Mrs Mick F ran the local school Breakfast Club before she retired BTW) ........ but some children can't make it early enough, so they feed them later. What sort of society allows children to go hungry? We have an awful issue in this country - the fifth largest economy in the world but with complete inequality top to bottom. Maybe it was forever thus, but for God's sake, this is 2019 and children are hungry, getting into trouble, being stabbed to death, and NOTHING is done or discussed. Sod Brexit! Get this inequality sorted out! :shock:
Bloody obscene Range Rovers and BMWs on the roads driven by rich fat cats, with children hungry on the streets, getting into trouble and being killed.
Stop HS2 and feed the children, have decent school and decent education and decent health.

Rant over.

Spot on!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Re: Jayden Moodie

Post by Vorpal »

100%JR wrote:
1.The Police stated it was a targetted attack,not random,not wrong place wrong time but targetted
2.The Police are also treating it as gang related.

For now I'm erring towards believing what the Police are saying.

I haven't forgotten anything. Just because it was targetted doesn't mean Jayden did anything wrong. First of all he may merely have done something that offended a gang member, who decided violence was a good way to resolve the situation. I knew of a boy who was beaten unconscious because he asked a girl for date. The girl's boyfriend got some mates together and cornered him after school. That was targetted, too.

The police are investigating *whether* it was gang related. Even the Daily Mail doesn't go further than that https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ondon.html

Lastly, even if it is gang related, he is still likely to have been a victim as much as anything.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Vorpal wrote:I haven't forgotten anything. Just because it was targetted doesn't mean Jayden did anything wrong. First of all he may merely have done something that offended a gang member, who decided violence was a good way to resolve the situation. I knew of a boy who was beaten unconscious because he asked a girl for date. The girl's boyfriend got some mates together and cornered him after school. That was targetted, too.
The police are investigating *whether* it was gang related. Even the Daily Mail doesn't go further than that https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ondon.html
Lastly, even if it is gang related, he is still likely to have been a victim as much as anything.

I wish I could look at it with the same compassion as you but unfortunately I can't.I hope I'm proved wrong but I'm not holding my breath.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vorpal wrote:Lastly, even if it is gang related, he is still likely to have been a victim as much as anything.
Was I not saying that?
His murderers are victims too.

Jayden is a victim of a bad society. A society who doesn't look after our most precious commodity - children.
He was a CHILD.
He wasn't looked after and cherished. Same as hundreds maybe thousands of them out there. Could be millions of them.

Scrap HS2 and Brexit, and save the countless billions, and then spend it on the children and their upbringing and their health.
This would stop all the Jaydens of this world and his killers going down the same sad way.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Absent Dad once again, Dad is in Jamaica apparently. Absent Dads' seem to be common in Jamaican society and it seems to be a big part of this sort of 'out of control' problem.

How on earth our society can get a grip on this wave of violence drugs and crime beats me. Whats the answer, more police, more social workers, money in the parents pockets, national service, outward bound courses, more sanctions, prisons....what? It's all very well pointing at the rich, the priveliged and the government but how do you intervene to improve outcomes for these kids?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Absent dad has nothing to do with this.

And there is no evidence that he wasn't loved and cherished.

Speculation doesn't help anyone.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oldjohnw wrote:
anyone's opinion be different, if the media only published pictures of him in a school uniform and a bland background? If he were white? or came from a rural village?

The world will never know what this child could have contributed. That's a tragedy.

RIP Jayden M

Hear hear!

Too much focus on 'bet he had a knife' or 'he must have stolen the car' or the way he wore his helmet or whether it was 'his' or 'a' moped. All speculation and no matter how good the guesses they are only guesses.

Thank goodness our courts judge on facts not guesses, however reasonable.

Or at least on evidence ;). [Having been a juror]
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vorpal wrote:Absent dad has nothing to do with this.
There is evidence he wasn't loved and cherished. Well not enough anyway.

Why was he on a moped riding the streets of London at 1830 in early January, and not at home eating his evening meal in the warmth and love of a home and watching telly?

Speculation doesn't help, I agree, but in the absence of facts that's all there is.

He was a vulnerable child in a jungle.
Why was he a vulnerable child in a jungle? The press aren't interested in telling us that.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

100%JR wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I haven't forgotten anything. Just because it was targetted doesn't mean Jayden did anything wrong. First of all he may merely have done something that offended a gang member, who decided violence was a good way to resolve the situation. I knew of a boy who was beaten unconscious because he asked a girl for date. The girl's boyfriend got some mates together and cornered him after school. That was targetted, too.

I wish I could look at it with the same compassion as you but unfortunately I can't.I hope I'm proved wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

++1 .. 100%JR appears to live in High Green Sheffield ... I'm across the road in Rotherham.
Drugs and gangs are bad enough in the High Green and Rotherham area and High Green is a step away from Fir Vale ... "Welcome to Fir Vale , an eastern European drug dealer on every corner" .....
Some posters on here need a reality check on life ....
Our 14 year old is at college and in the house all evening when he gets in ....
This unfortunate 14 year old is riding around on a moped and targeted .... think it through ... targeted ... by adult gang members / criminals..... not because he nicked a moped .... a lot more going on here ...family choices and life choices that the 14 year old made ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Doesn't it even occur to you that you are speculating too? Doh!

What's your suggestion?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote:

Doesn't it even occur to you that you are speculating too? Doh!

What's your suggestion?

Al

Am I? Suggestions about what? more speculation?