Chain and chainring compatabilty

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
webber

Chain and chainring compatabilty

Post by webber »

I would like to run an white industries dos sprocket https://www.hubjub.co.uk/white-industri ... -255-p.asp on my condor tempo but only compatable with 3/32 chain and my chainset is 1/8 so can i run a 3/32 chain or will i need a new chainring?
Brucey

Re: Chain and chainring compatabilty

Post by Brucey »

you will definitely need a new chainring if you want to run 3/32" chain and you presently have a 1/8" chainring. Either that or file the teeth down a bit...

However pictures like this

make me think that a 1/8" chain will run on the sprockets; there is plenty of space between them. IME a bushingless 1/8" chain is only a tiny bit too wide to work in a 6s freewheel, and is almost as flexible as a 3/32" one. Note that with this freewheel, unless you also have two chainrings, the chainline will be poor on one (or both) of the sprockets. For this reason, I'd suggest using a chain with cambered inner side plates, not plain ones.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
webber

Post by webber »

Brucey wrote:you will definitely need a new chainring if you want to run 3/32" chain and you presently have a 1/8" chainring. Either that or file the teeth down a bit...

However pictures like this

make me think that a 1/8" chain will run on the sprockets; there is plenty of space between them. IME a bushingless 1/8" chain is only a tiny bit too wide to work in a 6s freewheel, and is almost as flexible as a 3/32" one. Note that with this freewheel, unless you also have two chainrings, the chainline will be poor on one (or both) of the sprockets. For this reason, I'd suggest using a chain with cambered inner side plates, not plain ones.

cheers

Cheers brucey can i run a single freewheel on both Sides of my hub ive got miche track hubs or does it have to run one fixed and one free so i can keep a good chain line?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the chainline on a freewheel is usually about 2mm different to that on a fixed sprocket. On some double-fixed hubs you can adjust the spacing on the hub (and redish the wheel slightly) so that the chainline is the same both sides if you are running fixed/free.

If you are fussy and running fully-bushed 1/8" chain even a 2mm error in chainline is enough to cause more noise than you would like and funny wear patterns. However bushingless chains (which vary considerably BTW) usually tolerate angled running rather better and not everyone is as fussy, so you might find a small error is tolerable enough.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~