I am not a vegan

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: I am not a vegan

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:Vegetarians, by definition, are a group who think about their diet and are willing to give things up. So if you really want to compare the effects of the diet you have to compare them with omnivores who are also thinking about their diet and willing to give things up. That would be an interesting comparison.

Vegetarians in British culture are, by definition, a group who think about their diet.

Some of the studies I linked above have looked included populations of people with various diets. And some have looked at populations of people who are vegetarian for religious reasons, who should represent a better cross section of eating attitudes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
"This Morning" Resident GP, not sure of his name.
Vorpal has posted links so that should sort that, Ta.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Thanks. I suppose a lot depends upon which demographic you're sampling.

Accidental injury and homicide are apparently, the leading causes of death in the 15-25 age group. I don't suppose eating habits have any influence on those statistics. Yet I also suppose that the highest proportion of vegetarians will also be found in that age group.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Old tony worral Thompson and heather mills giving it large about vegans on Good Morning (ITV) this morning, today 10-1-19, I did not watch the whole thing but the presenters had to run for cover as they hit ten bells out of each other :lol:

I suppose it is possible that some vegetarian has made a choice about diet to change their not so good eating habits, part through their life, which skews the stats on mortality and overall health.
I always wondered how meat only eaters (big cats etc) survive, the meat and the blood contain all the necessary vitamins and fuel.
That said your liver stores all vitamins for between 3-6 months except C of course.
I have a deficient immune system but are not advised to take any supplements etc, cod liver oil is all I take daily, is there a vegan substitute for that? Joints.
pwa

Post by pwa »

When TV companies get a vegetarian or vegan to "debate" with a strident meat eater they always look for unreasonable vociferous people who will have a good verbal scrap rather than looking to understand the other's point of view. It makes amusing telly perhaps but it is annoying if you think there is a more meaningful conversation to be had.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I always wondered how meat only eaters (big cats etc) survive, the meat and the blood contain all the necessary vitamins and fuel.
That said your liver stores all vitamins for between 3-6 months except C of course.

Cats, even the big ones like lions and tigers consume some plants. They can make their own vitamin C and other things that are only found in plants, so they don't need them for nutrition. They need the fiber to aid digestion. Lions eat leaves, and like house cats, if they need to purge themselves, they eat something that will irritate, like grass. They also cough up furballs.

Humans need to eat plants because we cannot make some nutrients like vitamin C.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I always wondered how meat only eaters (big cats etc) survive, the meat and the blood contain all the necessary vitamins and fuel.

Cats, even the big ones like lions and tigers consume some plants. They can make their own vitamin C and other things that are only found in plants, so they don't need them for nutrition. They need the fiber to aid digestion. Lions eat leaves, and like house cats, if they need to purge themselves, they eat something that will irritate, like grass. They also cough up furballs.

Humans need to eat plants because we cannot make some nutrients like vitamin C.
I believe nearly all mammals can make their own Vitamin C - with the exception of humans, a few other primates, and guinea pigs.

I wonder whether that's why the guinea pig has become the proverbial medical research animal?

Another wake-up call (or is it going to be called a 'scare story'?) today, about people not eating enough fibre. Nothing new there - except maybe for the statistics. Must do some adding-up regarding my intake, perhaps? - see if I meet the target. Can't answer for others...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

These guys are the polar opposite of Vegans... https://www.wired.com/2012/09/milk-meat ... he-maasai/

When I met some of them I was impressed by their skinny frames and general fitness.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Just demonstrates that ethnicity can certainly be a factor in determining best dietary habits. And everyone's different. The North American Inuit, too, famously subsist on a diet with practically no vegetables (as far as I know). It keeps them healthy.

But it wouldn't work for me.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I would not call me a vegy anything but consume about 250 grams of red meat a week, that's all.
I would be happy to use my quorn (I know some don't like the meat substitute that's chewy :) ) but er in doors wants chicken :?
Swerved a vegy meal last night at lidl but did not buy a ready meal instead, beans on toast twice this week :)
I no longer use fat spread at all on my bread and toast.
Lidl has has vegetarian meals for some time but yet to see the vegan stuff.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:Just demonstrates that ethnicity can certainly be a factor in determining best dietary habits. And everyone's different. The North American Inuit, too, famously subsist on a diet with practically no vegetables (as far as I know). It keeps them healthy.

But it wouldn't work for me.

Inuit eat seaweed. They also, traditionally consumed the partially digested seaweed found in the intestines of animals they killed.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Inuit and the Masai have been following vegetable free diets for literally thousands of years and those individuals who it didn't suit died off leaving those who it did living and procreating

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Both/all are right, true, valid, Plus One!

Any examples of natural people eating mostly vegetables and fruit?

'Breadfruit, whatever they are' (Philip Larkin)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

661-Pete wrote:Another wake-up call (or is it going to be called a 'scare story'?) today, about people not eating enough fibre. Nothing new there - except maybe for the statistics. Must do some adding-up regarding my intake, perhaps? - see if I meet the target. Can't answer for others...

I don't know what the 'target' is, but it will be way too high for me...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

fossala wrote:Put yourselves in the mindset of a vegan. Most, if not all vegans think that killing animals is wrong and a lot would argue that it's tantamount to murder. Now imagine if woke up one day and everyone was killing and eating humans, keeping them slaves, raping them, torturing them etc. How would you act, would you talk to people about how killing and rape is wrong, or would you not care, maybe you'd care but not enough to do anything.

To top this off, your strange ethics on not murdering and eating fellow humans is also shamed and belittled on forums as jokes when all you wanted to do was read about bicycles...

I was not aware that the food industry raped its animals