Jaden Moodie

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: Jayden Moodie

Post by Vorpal »

100%JR wrote:I wish I could look at it with the same compassion as you but unfortunately I can't.I hope I'm proved wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Everything should be looked at with compassion.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Vorpal wrote:
100%JR wrote:I wish I could look at it with the same compassion as you but unfortunately I can't.I hope I'm proved wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Everything should be looked at with compassion.

The apparent desire of some commenters here to condemn a 14yo murdered child tells us far more about the commenters than the child, IMO.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I hope you're not including me in that statement. I am the OP here.

My compassion is very much with Jayden and his family and friends, but my compassion is aimed at his murderers too.

My complaints are aimed at the society that he and they live in. The fact that he was on a moped at age 14 in the dark on the streets of London possibly illustrates my point, and the fact that this hasn't been raised in the press (to my knowledge) tells a tale about them being scared to raise it due to the possible public outcry regarding victim blaming.

I would think that some people are indeed addressing this subject. Or at least I hope they are, because there must be loads of Jaydens out there on the dark streets of big cities.
Mick F. Cornwall
rob_wales

Post by rob_wales »

¿¿¿?
Last edited by rob_wales on 13 Jan 2019, 12:19am, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rob_wales wrote:I seriously think it's about time this whole Tea Shop section was closed down. <SNIP - please stop quoting the entire post immediately above.>

just dont visit the forum. easy soln. rather than impose your dictates on others
Last edited by Graham on 11 Jan 2019, 4:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: space-wasting quotation
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

<SNIP>
No the Tea Shop should not be closed down, but I am a bit uneasy about speculation on awful news stories
Most forum members live in leafy suburbs, I imagine, including me, and do not know much about this, right?
Nice dry weather out, I may even go cycling today :wink:

The weather is good to talk about and uncontroversial, there is a lot of snow in the alps, up to 4m has fallen in January
That would be an excuse to stay at home :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The Teashop is not, of course, a cycling forum and is specifically a place where non-cycling topics can be discussed.

But I agree: there have been some irresponsible and judgmental comments which are at best mere guesswork about a tragedy.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 12 Jan 2019, 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I know it's the DM, but this is worth the read.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -path.html
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:The Teashop is not, of course, a cycling forum and is specifically a place where non-cycling topics can be discussed.

But I agree: the have been some irresponsible and judgmental comments which are at best mere guesswork about a tragedy.

I'm not sure about that. Mostly the comments have acknowledged what a tragedy and a waste of a young life this event has been.

The boy was riding a moped illegally (seems to be a fact), was in a photo posing as if pretending to have a gun, and there were reports of a witness saying he had had a knife on a previous occasion. The latter is heresay rather than fact, but these things do point to the lad having a troubled existence. It doesn't mean he was unworthy of sympathy or anything like that.

He was a 14 year old boy and regardless of any imperfections in the way he lived, he was a 14 year old boy who was murdered. That is shocking. !4 year old boys go a bit off the rails in the easiest of communities and I think this lad might well have got through this stage and gone on to do something worthwhile with his life if he had been given the chance.

My own take on it so far is that the neighbourhood where this lad lost his life is dysfunctional and it is a bad place to raise children. As a tax payer living in an easier environment i would like more money to be directed at helping families in that location to get their kids through childhood safely and with a sense of self worth and direction.
horizon

Post by horizon »

rob_wales wrote:I seriously think it's about time this whole Tea Shop section was closed down.

One value of the Tea Shop is that it gives a context to people's views and opinions that do matter when discussing cycling issues. I participate in the forum because it broadly reflects my values and concerns as a cyclist. Even technical questions are often value driven and issues like promoting road safety and the punishment of offenders is critical to the formation of policy - as CUK knows.

As regards this particular topic, I was cycling in inner-city North London earlier this week. Some of the area was unfamiliar to me and I was (for better or worse) listening to the News on headphones as I cycled. I have to admit it changed my perception and feeling about cycling there and whether I might confront a motorist for example or cycle after dark.

I too would rather the Forum stuck to cycling but cycling without any political or social context is to me not cycling. So while the Tea Shop might veer off from time to time and needs good moderation (thank you, Mods), I wouldn't like to see it shut down.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Pretty well everything in life has a political aspect: food, countryside, ecology, transport, health and education, safety of the roads, and yes, cycling.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Most forum members live in leafy suburbs, I imagine, including me, and do not know much about this, right?

Imagine away. I certainly don't. ANyhow even if folk do live in suburbs they won't be leafy in early January ... :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Most forum members live in leafy suburbs, I imagine, including me, and do not know much about this, right?

Imagine away. I certainly don't.

Nor I. Practically hear the gun fire from St Anns when it went thro' a really hard phase. But not I know like parts of London and a few other places suffering last couple of years. There's tough and there's unbearable. A generation failed by the rest of us.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:I know it's the DM, but this is worth the read.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -path.html

There were obviously reasons for his recent expulsion, but one wonders what if any contribution it might have made to his demise.
rob_wales

Post by rob_wales »

¿¿¿¿¿
Last edited by rob_wales on 13 Jan 2019, 12:17am, edited 1 time in total.