Clipless cleat float

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ndwgolf

Clipless cleat float

Post by ndwgolf »

Guys
I have now been using Shimano Ultegra R8000 peddles for over a month and love them. The cleats I am using are the yellow ones which I believe have the most float. I’m thinking of changing to a stiffer cleat (less float) but wounded if it would make it harder to clip out ?
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks in advance
Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
hamster

Re: Clipless cleat float

Post by hamster »

The cleat float is independent of the release tension - that's set by the spring adjuster in the pedal. It may feel a little easier to unclip as you have to turn your foot less to hit the engagement point for unclipping, and of course cleat positioning becomes more critical.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... cleat positioning becomes more critical.

That's it in spades.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

hamster wrote:It may feel a little easier to unclip as you have to turn your foot less to hit the engagement point for unclipping

I feel like I have to twist my left foot a lot to get Unclipped but saying that it still pops out quit easily....,,,,, I’m on the easiest setting on the peddles

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

As a matter of interest are the yellow cleats the ones with the most float and if so what are the next clear colors with less float?
Neil

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Shimano SPD-SL Pedal Cleats
Red 0° Float
Blue 2° Float (provided with high-end e.g. Dura Ace SPD-SL pedals)
Yellow 6° Float (provided with most Shimano SPD-SL pedals)

https://guides.wiggle.co.uk/cycling-ped ... ng-guide-0
pwa

Post by pwa »

If one foot needs more of a twist than the other to get to the release point, one of the cleats needs shifting a little.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

pwa wrote:If one foot needs more of a twist than the other to get to the release point, one of the cleats needs shifting a little.

What I mean is my left foot floats more than my right foot. Also my left foot is the preferred clip out first foot
Neil

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ndwgolf wrote:
pwa wrote:If one foot needs more of a twist than the other to get to the release point, one of the cleats needs shifting a little.

What I mean is my left foot floats more than my right foot. Also my left foot is the preferred clip out first foot
Neil

There may be crossed wires here. A pair of (matching) cleats with matching pedals should each have the same amount of float. The arc in which the float occurs will vary depending on the position of the cleat. As hamster posted, ease of release (in terms of how hard you have to twist) is dependent on the setting of the pedal mechanism. The big issue is that float can disguise incorrect cleat position, in that the more tightly your foot is held in a bad position, the greater the risk of joint damage. On top of that some riders' feet naturally move about a bit while riding, even if their cleats are correctly positioned.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

If anything the un clearing becomes easier with the 2 degree float ( blue ) cleats, and the zero float ( red ) cleats. The difference is the width of the ‘nose’ of the cleat. The lower the degree of float you have, the better you have to get the alignment of everything / fit, or any issues will end up being taken out on your knees.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

hamster wrote:and of course cleat positioning becomes more critical.

I don't know whether SPD-SL is the same, but with SPD cleats there are ridges on the back that leave indentations in the shoe sole, which make it very difficult to make small adjustments to cleat position
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Im going to get a set of Blue cleats today and give them a go tomorrow and see how I get on........I will get back with you all then
Neil
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

my prediction; you will be happier with the release initially, but after you have ridden on them for no more than a few weeks you will mysteriously have painful knees. Probably no amount of fiddling with the cleat setting will help; there is a reason why the default cleats are the ones with the most float.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

Is the left cleat simply not bolted on tight enough and therefore moving a little on the sole? Probably not but worth a check.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

pwa wrote:Is the left cleat simply not bolted on tight enough and therefore moving a little on the sole? Probably not but worth a check.
i actually thought about that but they are both secured tightly to the soles.
Neil