Motorists Punish Helmet-Wearing Cyclists With Close Passes, Confirms Data Recrunch

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
landsurfer

Re: Drifting OT

Post by landsurfer »

PDQ Mobile wrote:...
In another topic someone said (in London I think) that they had been shouted at, straight into the face "Pay effing road tax", by a ten year old!!
So I could imagine a parent of said urchin could well be tempted to close pass what he would perceive as a dedicated and "armored" cyclist taking his road space.

This is the sort of nonsense we should not have to put up with on this site;

How was the age of the child ascertained ?
"straight into the face" .. so the child was sitting on the handlebars of the bike ?
Therefore the parent of said child would attempt to injure a cyclist ?

Leave the "anti-cycling" rubbish to the press, don't post it on here please ... :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Re: Drifting OT but relevant

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote: .........Leave the "anti-cycling" rubbish to the press, don't post it on here please ... :roll:

There is much anti cycling "rubbish" about these days IME,most of it from car drivers,but occasionally from pedestrians and I've also experienced it from agressive children on rare occasions too.
Some of it can be very overt,like the woman last Saturday who for reasons best known to herself decided to overtake me on the right despite me signalling in plenty of time with an outstretched arm and in the middle of a wide road being 5m from my turning,when she'd ample room,approx 5 to 6m to overtake on my left!
This isn't an isolated incident.
I've experienced far too many incidents to mention over a long period of time,most of which has included 7 to 9K per annum cycling mileage,not to believe there's an element of the general public who for reasons best known to themselves positively hate cycling and cyclists.
That IME is a fact.
I've been spit at,driven at,had missiles of various items thrown at me,shouted at and been involved in fist fights twice to defend myself,not because I'd done anything wrong but just because I happened to be there to abuse.
And furthermore I firmly believe it's becoming worse as cycling becomes more popular and motorists and some members of the general public become more overtly aggressive.
These people are in the minority,though loud aggressive and distasteful.Overall the general public I encounter tend to be friendly though,but you just never know when the next loonie will pop up like a bad penny no matter how courteous or friendly I am to them.
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Jan 2019, 9:13am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Motorists Punish Helmet-Wearing Cyclists With Close Passes, Confirms Data Recrunch

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yes, you just happen to be there.

I have had a car pull out in front of me..........stop, then because I avoided It but my eyes met theirs, which they would if they were in my line of sight.........forgetting they are in the wrong.........then went off on one and mentioned I looked at them :twisted:

These sort of people should never be at the wheel.
Stress test drivers and then periodically through their life, make them pay and I don't mind paying for retest, the unsuitables will crack up at the drop of a hat.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Ontherivet77

Re: Drifting OT but relevant

Post by Ontherivet77 »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote: .........Leave the "anti-cycling" rubbish to the press, don't post it on here please ... :roll:

There is much anti cycling "rubbish" about these days IME,most of it from car drivers,but occasionally from pedestrians and I've also experienced it from agressive children on rare occasions too.
Some of it can be very overt,like the woman last Saturday who for reasons best known to herself decided to overtake me on the right despite me signalling in plenty of time with an outstretched arm and in the middle of a wide road being 5m from my turning,when she'd ample room,approx 5 to 6m to overtake on my left!
This isn't an isolated incident.
I've experienced far too many incidents to mention over a long period of time,most of which has included 7 to 9K per annum cycling mileage,not to believe there's an element of the general public who for reasons best known to themselves positively hate cycling and cyclists.
That IME is a fact.
I've been spit at,driven at,had missiles of various items thrown at me,shouted at and been involved in fist fights twice to defend myself,not because I'd done anything wrong but just because I happened to be there to abuse.
And furthermore I firmly believe it's becoming worse as cycling becomes more popular and motorists and some members of the general public become more overtly aggressive.
These people are in the minority,though loud aggressive and distasteful.Overall the general public I encounter tend to be friendly though,but you just never know when the next loonie will pop up like a bad penny no matter how courteous or friendly I am to them.

Same thing happened to me on Wednesday night, I signalled to turn right and the young girl at the wheel of the car behind decided it was the best time to overtake me.
Years ago I had a guy drive his car at me, fortunately he changed his mind at the last minute, but it was pretty hairy for 10 seconds or so, a real brown trousers moment. I've never had a fist fight though, I hope you knocked their block off by the way.
landsurfer

Re: Motorists Punish Helmet-Wearing Cyclists With Close Passes, Confirms Data Recrunch

Post by landsurfer »

Come on chaps ... that quote is totally out of context without the rest of the text.
If we are going to post emotive stuff on here make it accurate please ....
We should not demean ourselves with the type of rhetoric that belongs in the tabloid press.
We're better than that.
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:Come on chaps ... that quote is totally out of context without the rest of the text.
If we are going to post emotive stuff on here make it accurate please ....
We should not demean ourselves with the type of rhetoric that belongs in the tabloid press.
We're better than that.

I disagree.
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

landsurfer wrote:We should not demean ourselves with the type of rhetoric that belongs in the tabloid press.
We're better than that.

reohn2 wrote: I disagree.

Well i'm better than that .... shame your not ... but its your choice ....
:lol:
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
landsurfer wrote:We should not demean ourselves with the type of rhetoric that belongs in the tabloid press.
We're better than that.

reohn2 wrote: I disagree.

Well i'm better than that .... shame your not ... but its your choice ....
:lol:

Suit yourself,claim what you want for yourself,but I still disagree.
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Re: Drifting OT

Post by PDQ Mobile »

landsurfer wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:...
In another topic someone said (in London I think) that they had been shouted at, straight into the face "Pay effing road tax", by a ten year old!!
So I could imagine a parent of said urchin could well be tempted to close pass what he would perceive as a dedicated and "armored" cyclist taking his road space.

This is the sort of nonsense we should not have to put up with on this site;

How was the age of the child ascertained ?
"straight into the face" .. so the child was sitting on the handlebars of the bike ?
Therefore the parent of said child would attempt to injure a cyclist ?

Leave the "anti-cycling" rubbish to the press, don't post it on here please ... :roll:

Here you go it was posted here by "londoncommuter0000".
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=126123&start=30

Take it up with him.
All I would say is that if a young child exhibits such behaviour then there is probably a parent mindset at work behind it.

As for my opinion of the DM, I have only picked it up a few times and pretty much always been horrified at its blatant "othering" of many different groups.
From cyclists, to greens, to "Trots" and refugees and I make no apology for my absolute distaste for it .

I have only rarely experienced abuse and nothing really serious- that's locally in NW Wales.
Been shouted at a few times, the usual stuff.
In the depths of the SE England, I have been sprayed with a liquid, suffered very close passes and loud sudden verbal abuse from window leaning young bloods.