The Smartphone Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Post by mercalia »

anyway I have ordered some capactive pens from Ebay. 10 for £1.75 if I read the advert right

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-MINI-Universal-Capacitive-Stylus-Pen-for-ALL-Moble-Phones-Tablet-IPAD-IPHONE/290980476703?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

looks to me like they have a cable to secure in the headphone socket when not in use?
Cunobelin

Re: so I just got my first smartphone but ...

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:
Cunobelin wrote: I need a second phone ( I keep personal and work separate) and have just bough an updated Nokia 8110. Does maps, email and the real basics.

I'm impressed! :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-8110-4G- ... 5Q5QM?th=1

Even more impressed?

£29 from GiffGaff, and delivered following day
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The 8110 runs on KaiOS, a stripped down version of the system designed by Firefox

... and apparently it is VERY cool phone
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:anyway I have ordered some capactive pens from Ebay. 10 for £1.75 if I read the advert right

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-MINI-Universal-Capacitive-Stylus-Pen-for-ALL-Moble-Phones-Tablet-IPAD-IPHONE/290980476703?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

looks to me like they have a cable to secure in the headphone socket when not in use?

Personal experience is that you change fingermarks for rubber skid marks
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:anyway I have ordered some capactive pens from Ebay. 10 for £1.75 if I read the advert right

Personal experience is that you change fingermarks for rubber skid marks

well worth a try at less than £2. I have been eyeing other peoples phones at Lidls etc and they all seem to have greasey screens.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Cunobelin wrote: I need a second phone ( I keep personal and work separate) and have just bough an updated Nokia 8110. Does maps, email and the real basics.

I'm impressed! :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-8110-4G- ... 5Q5QM?th=1

Even more impressed?

£29 from GiffGaff, and delivered following day

it dont seem clear whether it is unlocked as it says it is then says you need a giffgaff sim card?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:

it dont seem clear whether it is unlocked as it says it is then says you need a giffgaff sim card?

My apologies... I am on GiffGaff and just plugged in my present SIM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well the capacitive styli came to day. 10 for just £1.75 they have a soft foam like tip and a little cord to attach in the ear piece socket. They are quite small about 1.5" long. Much impressed. since I am not a mobile fanatic just an occasional user suites me fine
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if any one is after a nice genuine leather case for their phone you might look here - Snakehive. They had a special offer on my Lumia 635 phone, a nice leather case ( not pu leather ) for just £12 incl postage, very quick delivery and very nice it is too! You cannt beat the smell of naked leather?

https://www.snakehive.co.uk/
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cunobelin wrote:The 8110 runs on KaiOS, a stripped down version of the system designed by Firefox

It does look interesting but I read in one review that it doesn't have T9 texting.

True?

I bought a cheap old fashioned phone for someone for a special purpose recently and discovered that that didn't have T9 either. I was amazed. I'm all for non flashy straightforward functionality but that strikes me as plain bonkers.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The 8110 runs on KaiOS, a stripped down version of the system designed by Firefox

It does look interesting but I read in one review that it doesn't have T9 texting.

True?

I bought a cheap old fashioned phone for someone for a special purpose recently and discovered that that didn't have T9 either. I was amazed. I'm all for non flashy straightforward functionality but that strikes me as plain bonkers.

what is T9 texting?
you mean this?
"T9 is a predictive text technology for mobile phones (specifically those that contain a 3x4 numeric keypad), originally developed by Tegic Communications, now part of Nuance Communications. T9 stands for Text on 9 keys"
I HATE that on my old nokia
Last edited by mercalia on 11 Jan 2019, 8:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:
Sweep wrote:

True?

what is T9 texting?

predictive texting.
Sweep
irc

Post by irc »

mercalia wrote:seems like even cheaper on Amazon - 10 for just 76p incl postage :shock: How on earth can that be done at that price :shock: :shock:

Because our postal service subsidises Chinese postage to the UK.

United Nations UPU class China, the second biggest economy in the world, as a Category 3 Economy along side Gabon. This entitles Chinese online retailers huge international postal discounts. Packages can be sent to the UK for less than a penny. And it’s the UK mail service and the cost of our stamps that picks up the tab.

http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-subsi ... inal-dues/
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I have now had my first smartphone for 2 months and I like it: Living in London there are 2 apps that are proving very useful - a) a bus app that shows the bus stops on a map and the buses ( numbers) due - as displayed by the screens at bus stops b) a train time table app for any station that shows departures and arrivals times and platforms. I do notice though that the ones that people zombie with on the buses or trains are very thin compared to mine ( not really worried ). So the question is how reliable are these esp these ultra thin ones. So an informal poll how long your have lasted and why it failed.