walking shoes for cycling touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
birkhead

walking shoes for cycling touring

Post by birkhead »

I use cycling shoes with spd for cycling. I would like to upgrade my off-bike shoes. Hitherto I have used Jinga shoes [300g], which are excellent for
    weight,
    volume,
    ethically sound;
not so good on protection from gravel and other lumps, and also rather too good at picking up tar and other less salubrious elements that seem to litter the continental pavements.
I would use sandals, but not with a thong between the toes, and the lightweight ones I have seen have only been in womens sizes.
I use Crocs at home a lot [280g], so a variety of those would seem good, either as a sandal or as a shoe, but they would need to be flat fold.
I wonder what the current thinking is on shoes for this purpose?
This is for use in France [if we are allowed in], staying in B&B/hotel, in summer.
andrew_s

Re: walking shoes for cycling touring

Post by andrew_s »

I solved the off-bike shoe issue by not taking any (0 g), riding in SPD sandals, and using the same sandals for evening wear.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I use merrell walking sandals. Actually I think the latest incarnation are Ecco but still no thongs. I do find them a touch bulky but very comfortable to walk good distances in. I do fancy some cycling sandals (with seal skinz socks for wet weather). I’m not sure I’d want to walk distances still even with a recessed cleat though.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

birkhead wrote:.
I use Crocs at home a lot [280g], so a variety of those would seem good, either as a sandal or as a shoe, but they would need to be flat fold.
Ir.

Or maybe, lateral thinking, a flat pedal. :D

http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/

I’ve cycled in Crocs, when I had some, and found them very good.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

im in the one pair of shoes camp

maybe you could look for a nice pair suitable for on and off the bike

I have just last week bought the shimano XC5 and the TR5 both of which i could happily wear all the time, they're light and comfortable and look pretty smart too.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I tour mainly in the tropics and I use sandals. They are also my normal summer shoe in the UK. They are trekking style, but much lighter than the expensive heavy duty ones. Still robust enough to last more than a year of almost daily use.

I can walk in them all day on a variety of surfaces, but obviously a bit limited in long grass.

I like them because they let my feet breath after a day in cycling shoes.

Main drawback is they are a bit bulky, but less than a pair of trainers.
birkhead

Post by birkhead »

Just to update on this, I found some excellent Crocs Swiftwater sandals for £23.73 on fleabay.
They weigh in at 455gms which is quite a bit heavier than the preceding Jinga at 300gms.
They also don't fold flat, so they are more bulky to pack.
My pannier bags usually have some extra space anyway, so I don't see volume as a big problem, and the baguette could always slide through them :lol:
However I ordered the regular size and found it too large, so sent them back, and the replacement arrived after I had left on holiday.
So I have been wearing them around all the time since my return, but not used them in touring situation.
I find them very comfortable.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

About five years ago I said I used my Meindl walking shoes for cycling and apart from one who could not read and swore I said walking BOOTS, other people said I was silly (or similar)

I wear these always and have worn ONLY Meindl walking shoes and boots for 20 years, nothing else, walking and cycling

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meindl-Mens-Ph ... oes&sr=1-3

I have 6 various pairs, and as long as the top leather is ok, and it usually is Meindl RE sole them yes £30 the last pair

I had 2 pair of these, VERY comfortable but only lasted a year

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Ten-Guide ... oes&sr=1-4
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
mjr

Post by mjr »

The last few years, I have been mostly wearing skateboarding shoes. Grippy rubber soles, breathable canvas uppers, good for gentle walking - what's not to like?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

skyhawk wrote:About five years ago I said I used my Meindl walking shoes for cycling and apart from one who could not read and swore I said walking BOOTS, other people said I was silly (or similar)

I wear these always and have worn ONLY Meindl walking shoes and boots for 20 years, nothing else, walking and cycling

I have 4 pairs of these (ranging from gardening shoes - oldest - to current use - 3rd pair). Used for all upright cycling ('bents need shoe retention pedals, IMO). Sadly Karrimor seem to have switched production from China to Indonesia, and now use a narrower lathe - so no longer comfortable (half sizes and wide feet). ShoeGoo keeps them going for longer, but...
"42"
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Skyhawk, how do you go about getting your Meindls resoled ? I have just bought a new pair but
I'm sure I have a worn pair still hiding somewhere ?
toontra

Post by toontra »

Etnies Scouts for me. Very light but very strong and pack small. I even run short to medium distances in these without discomfort. RRP is high but discounts can sometimes be found.
robing

Post by robing »

I use these as my off bike shoes. https://www.sportsdirect.com/hot-tuna-m ... wcQAvD_BwE
I like the blue and white combination :D

Lightweight, excellent grip, cheap. Good for camping. Not so good for walking long distances and can pen and ink after a while .