Cycling is so very dangerous !!

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Vorpal

Re: Cycling is so very dangerous !!

Post by Vorpal »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/173464 ... est-hears/

An interesting read, the Coroner’s comments in particular.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Marcus Aurelius

Re: CYCLING IS SO DANGEROUS !!

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

RickH wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:As a BC ride leader you have to risk asses your routes to satisfy the insurance requirements. If you asses a part of a route as having a potential increased risk of riders falling, the mitigation could be using a lid. Then wearing a lid becomes a requirement for participation in the ride. I don’t personally include such things in my risk assessments, but I know lots of RLs that do. BC’s risk assessment for Ride Leaders on an official Guided ride does include these terms, so RLs have to wear a lid on an official Guided Ride. Personally, I’ve had a few ‘offs’ in the past, where my head has taken the brunt of the impact. Therefore I think a lid is a worthwhile thing to wear. I certainly don’t expect anyone else to wear a lid if they don’t want to. I wish they would, but I don’t try and make anyone do so.

I've not been involved for 2018/19 so things may have changed, especially as there is much more flexibility for ride leaders to organise their own routes. But, when I trained as a BC ride leader & route planner under the Skyride set up, advocating helmets as a mitigation was never mentioned as an option. Advising participants to take extra care, walk a section or use an alternative route if the conditions could be variable. Or, of course, not going that way at all & choosing a better route.

This is part of the pre ride risk assessment I’ve just had to fill out, for an impending ride I’m leading in the Surrey Hills next week.
Last edited by Marcus Aurelius on 11 Jan 2019, 11:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

That's pretty scandalous and explains why so many BC rides end up with helmet compulsion rules.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

And part of my thought process, I have not renewed with CTC this year and would never join BC ... AUDAX UK and the RSF .... are the clubs / societies i will continue to support ....
Off out on the bike in the morning, 70 miles each way, with a helmet .... wouldn't ever ride my bike without a helmet........
:lol:

fullsizeoutput_181.jpeg
Last edited by landsurfer on 11 Jan 2019, 6:20pm, edited 4 times in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
RickH

Post by RickH »

It does appear to be something added as a note by an individual rather than an official "policy", but worrying nonetheless.

Is this for a normal guided ride on benign terrain?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I thought "low" was the only user-entered field.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

mjr wrote:I thought "low" was the only user-entered field.

I really didn’t want it included. ‘Low’was as good as it gets.
Marcus Aurelius

RickH wrote:It does appear to be something added as a note by an individual rather than an official "policy", but worrying nonetheless.

Is this for a normal guided ride on benign terrain?

The terrain is far from “benign”, but my hand was somewhat forced on this particular inclusion.