... how much rust is too much rust?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
avalonian

Re: ... how much rust is too much rust?

Post by avalonian »

That looks really good.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

The chainstays on my winter commuter have been in a similar state to the OP's for several years. I recently cleaned off the rust with a wire brush on an angle grinder, plus a Dremel and sandpaper to get to the awkward bits. I was pleasantly surprised at how little pitting there was and how well it cleaned up. I finished the job with a wipe down with phosphoric acid (to neutralise ant remaining traces of rust) and a coat of enamel paint.

All set for a few more years of hard grind!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one of my chums rode his steel framed commuter until the chainstay bridge had actually disappeared completely, and parts of the chainstays were pitted right through (yes there were holes...).

Up to a certain point rust looks worse than it really is (there is still plenty of metal underneath) but later on it can serve to disguise how little metal there is left.

If you are worried about a steel frame cracking, best to paint it a light colour and keep an eye out for cracks.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Very nice, & a good degree of symmetry....pedal angles could do with a little more concentration!!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

531colin wrote:I have a 531 frame more than 40 years old. It now flexes too much to carry touring luggage. I think that must be internal corrosion. I dont ride it far from home! Before you spend money on your old frame, check the rear dropout width, to see if it will take modern wheels.

I finally retired the old girl, got fed up with constantly fiddling about to get the brakes properly on 700c wheels, it was built for 27".
After a while, I cut it up with an angle grinder, and found.....nothing!
pwa

Post by pwa »

531colin wrote:
531colin wrote:I have a 531 frame more than 40 years old. It now flexes too much to carry touring luggage. I think that must be internal corrosion. I dont ride it far from home! Before you spend money on your old frame, check the rear dropout width, to see if it will take modern wheels.

I finally retired the old girl, got fed up with constantly fiddling about to get the brakes properly on 700c wheels, it was built for 27".

Curious. Do you think maybe you have got used to riding stiffer frames and going back to an old style flexy frame set alarm balls ringing?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

pwa wrote:
531colin wrote:

Curious. Do you think maybe you have got used to riding stiffer frames and going back to an old style flexy frame set alarm balls ringing?

Its tempting to think that, but the next touring bike I had was 531ST, so still the traditional inch and inch and eighth tubes, although a bit thicker gauge. I forget the exact sequence, but I also had a couple of Raleigh mountain bikes and then an Orbit Romany roughstuff bike. The Romany I still ride, and its still a stiff frame in Reynolds 853, inch and a quarter down tube and inch and eighth elsewhere.
So I don't know! I felt at the time that the old bike had got more flexy, but I don't have anything definitive to go on.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

531colin wrote:….So I don't know! I felt at the time that the old bike had got more flexy, but I don't have anything definitive to go on.

...any more.... :wink:

the hacksaw is quick, but is also 'forever'.... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I wish I could flex more as I age. :)
drossall

Post by drossall »

keyboardmonkey wrote:Crikey. I asked for advice about this almost a decade ago. Somehow I didn’t post an update until prompted by another thread. Still going strong, pictured last month:

Brilliant. Can we keep this thread please, to show to all the nay-sayers who think that the first sign of rust means the scrap yard? :lol: