Blood Pressure Monitors

boliston

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Post by boliston »

omron rs2 (hem-6121-e) seems to work quite well - it's a wrist monitor so quite easy to use, just make sure you keep it level with your heart when doing a reading - been using it about 3 months now - i normally try and and do readings at different times of day eg waking up, after breakfast, before supper, after supper as it can vary a lot during the day - it's normally much lower 1st thing in the morning i find eg 105/65 usually compared with 115/75-145/90 typically at other times - smoking seems to temporarily push it up for example, or a particularly stressful day
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

That lower reading first thing in the morning is why it's not advised to take a reading first thing :D
doxfords

Post by doxfords »

Ensure that you don't have a caffeinated drink such as coffee within a couple of hours prior to taking a B.P. reading, as this will give a false, high reading.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Good to hear that. Explains my reading where the higher reading was 3 inside the normal range but the lower reading was 1 outside into zone 1 hypertension.

Most of my readings have been taken after coffee. I think I drink too much coffee come to think of it.
Cours

Post by Cours »

Tangled Metal wrote:Good to hear that. Explains my reading where the higher reading was 3 inside the normal range but the lower reading was 1 outside into zone 1 hypertension.

Most of my readings have been taken after coffee. I think I drink too much coffee come to think of it.

According to the literature the best tine to check your BP is 3pm in the afternoon. It's when your pressure is best regulated and at its daily 'norm', before your main meal of the day.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Cours wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Good to hear that. Explains my reading where the higher reading was 3 inside the normal range but the lower reading was 1 outside into zone 1 hypertension.

According to the literature the best tine to check your BP is 3pm in the afternoon. It's when your pressure is best regulated and at its daily 'norm', before your main meal of the day.

Not seen that in the NICE guidelines or in over 30 years of working in cardiology.

You should take it at various times during the day, always after being sat down at least five minutes. I’ve never known coffee significantly elevate BP.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

A Google search suggests that the NHS advises limiting intake to avoid elevating blood pressure. Similarly the Mayo Clinic links it with short term spikes.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Bonefishblues wrote:A Google search suggests that the NHS advises limiting intake to avoid elevating blood pressure. Similarly the Mayo Clinic links it with short term spikes.

They do, but it makes almost no difference to me or indeed the patients I’ve tried before and after readings.
boliston

Post by boliston »

doxfords wrote:Ensure that you don't have a caffeinated drink such as coffee within a couple of hours prior to taking a B.P. reading, as this will give a false, high reading.

I'm not sure I would describe it as a 'false' reading if coffee has an effect on blood pressure - if something has an effect on my blood pressure then to me it's useful to be able to record that effect
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

boliston wrote:
doxfords wrote:Ensure that you don't have a caffeinated drink such as coffee within a couple of hours prior to taking a B.P. reading, as this will give a false, high reading.

I'm not sure I would describe it as a 'false' reading if coffee has an effect on blood pressure - if something has an effect on my blood pressure then to me it's useful to be able to record that effect

You'd want to be taking readings at 5 minute intervals throughout your day them :D
ket

Post by ket »

Got a standard Omron unit a week ago (especially as Boots were having an offer on them at moment). Very pleased with it, easy to use.
Thanks for all the advise & suggestions.