Sudocrem

loch eck steve

Re: Sudocrem - Is there a generic alternative ??

Post by loch eck steve »

As long as the itchy bits have stopped itching thats the main thing !!!! :D :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

orange wrote:My ex wife is a dispenser in a chemist. She knows all the ingredients of creams etc.
On her recommendation I have been using conotrane over sudacream for years because
A) it's a lot lot cheaper
B) does exactly the same as sudacream
C) a lot of the midwives/health visitors from her pharmacy use it from a tube because of hygienic reasons.
That you are not sticking dirty fingers in a pot and contaminationg it which I hadn't thought about until explained
to me.

Double dipping.... nice!!!!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

So a pot lasts 15 years and you are worrying about the expense, I confess I do not know the current price of sudocrem... ( no need for it) but I guess we are talking a few pence per year at that rate of use..... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Graham

Post by Graham »

:D I have openly admitted to being a miser. :wink:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Graham wrote::D I have openly admitted to being a miser. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Greggo66

Sudocrem

Post by Greggo66 »

I'm due to go on a 200 mile cycle soon. I've been recommended Sudecrem to help reduce friction. Any thoughts on this?
Graham

Re: Sudocrem

Post by Graham »

I have moved your post to a pre-existing, dedicated topic.

You can see that there are alternatives to consider ( above ).

Greasing your undercarriage with such stuff should reduce any abrasion, but consider also :-

1) Where the abrasion occurs and why it might be happening

2) Alternative types of shorts with different types of pads ( quite a wide variation ).

3) Other issues such as :-
a) frequency of washing clothing
b) efficiency of rinsing (-away the cleaning agent )
c) type of soap / detergent
d) skin sensitivity

etc.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

On our LEJOG this summer the use of Sudocreme was endemic.... the sight of groups of mature cyclists passing the sudocreme between them in various lay-bys on our route must have traumatised a large number of passing motorists and their families ....
The build up of sudocreme in the pads of our bib shorts, even though rinsed / washed every day led to the phenomena of the "Sudoskid" ... the white deposit left everywhere we sat ..... :lol: :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I prefer to find out what's causing the problem. Is the bike set up correctly? Clothing ok? Saddle suits you?

Distance built up gradually?

I don't use anything, and prefer to avoid any sort of cream.

I have carried sudocrem a few times when I was either doing a distance that with I wasn't sure my backside was ready for, or touring when I was going to be riding day after day. I haven't used it, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

I suggest avoiding needing nappy rash cream by not following the modern fashion of wearing nappies when cycling. Of course, that can mean quite a bit of time finding a comfortable old-fashioned saddle instead.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Graham wrote:1) Where the abrasion occurs and why it might be happening

IMO this is the top thing and in my experience, the top three causes are:
1. Clothing seams, especially those around pads in cycling shorts :roll: but also from the pad edge to waist and cuff. You especially don't want a seam between you and the saddle.
2. Wrong saddle shape for you, rubbing legs or bum as you pedal
3. Inner layer of clothing folding or bunching if not a snug fit, producing a seam-like irritation that matches no seam.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

In our case it was 60 - 80 miles a day, for 14 days, at temperatures
above 30 deg C.

Sweat happens ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

landsurfer wrote:On our LEJOG this summer the use of Sudocreme was endemic.... the sight of groups of mature cyclists passing the sudocreme between them in various lay-bys on our route must have traumatised a large number of passing motorists and their families ....
The build up of sudocreme in the pads of our bib shorts, even though rinsed / washed every day led to the phenomena of the "Sudoskid" ... the white deposit left everywhere we sat ..... :lol: :lol:

Endemic but not universal :D
My own regime used Vaseline applied along the join at the top of the legs. Liberal application of Almond oil with tea tree applied after showering. I didn’t bother with Vaseline the last few days and that was possibly because washing shorts in showers didn’t shift that greasy residue.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I use talcum powder as a preventative. In the event of a sore I use suds cream but if it really is a fungal problem which becomes likely as the perfect breeding ground exists you need a proper antifungal cream.

E45 for my feet. Decanted in to old film containers when travelling.
John