Ras EL Hanout Spice Mix

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Canuk

Ras EL Hanout Spice Mix

Post by Canuk »

Has anyone ever used this famous Moroccan spice mix? I just bought a load from a local market because they were retiring. I think it's a staple of Tagin cooking, but interested to see if anyone has any suggestions for use in Western style cooking or any recipes. I've got about 800gr worth! :oops:

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cardamon
2 teaspoons ground mace
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground anise seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
fossala

Re: Ras EL Hanout Spice Mix

Post by fossala »

Yup, use it at work to cook tagine.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Use it regularly, the Tesco square tin variety is excellent. Good flavour for lentil and bean dishes.

This is a superb recipé https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/764 ... otato-mash

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, you have a pretty comprehensive spice mix there - although if I was concocting it, I'd leave out - or at least cut down - some of the ingredients (like the ground ginger, say). And the nutmeg might tend to overwhelm a bit.

Ras-el-hanout is, I believe, a fairly generic term covering a wide variety of different spice mixes - a bit like "garam masala". What we have in our kitchen (only used rarely I admit) seems to comprise pepper, ginger, paprika, allspice, cardamom, mace, nutmeg, turmeric, cayenne, cloves, rose petals (?). But one which I recall buying in France was just a mixture of the regular 'curry' spices: turmeric, coriander, cumin, chilli, mustard, fenugreek. A bit of a come-down, seeing as France is very much a second home for Maghrebi cuisine. Perhaps we shouldn't have bought it at LeClerc...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nope.
Sounds awful.
Mick F. Cornwall
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

It's supposed to be the spices the 'head of the kitchen' would use. Hence the name. So not for everyday dishes but special occasions. On the nose it does remind me of quite a strong curry flavour, but it's sweeter and has an almost floral bouquet. We bought it from a proper Algerian family and they are well known locally for providing top quality products.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

| would omit anise-never heard of that used in tagines,but good for Chinese.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

you can put it anything, on chicken for BBQing, in a curry, whatever, don't feel you have to make tagine.

fwiw it's nothing special in that there's nothing particularly African there but if it's cheap why not. I always like to pep it up with smoked paprika.