Jess Varnish ..

Vorpal

Re: Jess Varnish ..

Postby Vorpal » 17 Dec 2018, 11:47am

We should fund university for anyone wants it, and similarly do more to subsidise sport at all level.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FIFY :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 16 Jan 2019, 10:37pm

Jess Varnish has lost her employment tribunal claiming unfair dismissal, as she has been deemed not to be an employee of British Cycling and therefore not entitled to employment rights.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 16 Jan 2019, 10:43pm

That's not especially surprising. But I hope that they employ elite athletes in the future, instead of funding them through grants.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 17 Jan 2019, 6:30am

Vorpal wrote:That's not especially surprising. But I hope that they employ elite athletes in the future, instead of funding them through grants.

Good idea, then the money won at events, appearance money and money from advertising etc. would stay in BC rather than ending up in the athletes bank account.
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 17 Jan 2019, 7:51am

landsurfer wrote:
Vorpal wrote:That's not especially surprising. But I hope that they employ elite athletes in the future, instead of funding them through grants.

Good idea, then the money won at events, appearance money and money from advertising etc. would stay in BC rather than ending up in the athletes bank account.

A bit of a non-sequitur even as sarcasm because it would be down to the fine print on the contract.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 17 Jan 2019, 9:32am

I'm not suggesting that they should lose prize & advertising money.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 17 Jan 2019, 2:42pm

landsurfer wrote:

Many a true word spoken in jest.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 17 Jan 2019, 3:54pm

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Many a true word spoken in jest.

That was my take. HMRC will now have these athletes on their radar and soon the bean counters will be looking closely at total income. Money won at events, appearance money and money from advertising etc. will be able to be taxed at a higher rate if the "grant" from BC becomes classed as their taxable allowance (tax free) income element. Possibly.

PH

Postby PH » 17 Jan 2019, 4:29pm

I'm not surprised by the tribunal's decision and I have no particular opinion on whether a different result would have been in the interest of other sports men and women receiving funding. I am however really disappointed that the ability for anyone to deal with unfair treatment depends on their employment status.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 17 Jan 2019, 5:36pm

PH wrote:I'm not surprised by the tribunal's decision and I have no particular opinion on whether a different result would have been in the interest of other sports men and women receiving funding. I am however really disappointed that the ability for anyone to deal with unfair treatment depends on their employment status.

I may be wrong but ... being treated unfairly needs a standard to apply to.
What is unfair ?
How did a person suffer loss ?
There has to a comparison standard.
A gauge of unfair.

In this case the gauge was employment and the law associated with employment.

There has to be a standard / gauge of fair and comparison is the measurement.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 17 Jan 2019, 6:00pm

She says her legal case cost £1m ....(Grauniad).
So either she is very wealthy ... or someone else paid the bloodsuckers .. sorry Lawyers, bills.

Norman H

Postby Norman H » 17 Jan 2019, 6:37pm

The unfair treatment hinges on whether her removal from the elite programme was justified or whether it was retribution for going public on management shortcoming at British Cycling. Sadly that's not been tested.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 17 Jan 2019, 6:49pm

Norman H wrote:The unfair treatment hinges on whether her removal from the elite programme was justified or whether it was retribution for going public on management shortcoming at British Cycling. Sadly that's not been tested.

There are quite a few on here who are good with stats ..
How do JV's stats look against fellow riders .. Kenny and Archibald where her peers .. at the time it all kicked off .... I think.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 17 Jan 2019, 6:50pm

PH wrote:I'm not surprised by the tribunal's decision and I have no particular opinion on whether a different result would have been in the interest of other sports men and women receiving funding. I am however really disappointed that the ability for anyone to deal with unfair treatment depends on their employment status.

Agreed. It seems to be a bad situation these days where employees are 'deemed to have accepted an employment contract' by dint of working in a company (I had this happen to me once when I asked for a contract and was never given one), yet when there is an issue (there wasn't for me) they are told they aren't really employees. The abundance of zero hours contracts is another example - I've heard of people being told 'you are sacked' from a zero hours contract because they were unable to turn up at short notice. It's ok for the employer to say 'we don't need you today' though. One rule for the rich and another for the poor unfortunately we have moved backwards in employment conditions in recent years IMHO

PH

Postby PH » 17 Jan 2019, 7:00pm

landsurfer wrote:
Norman H wrote:The unfair treatment hinges on whether her removal from the elite programme was justified or whether it was retribution for going public on management shortcoming at British Cycling. Sadly that's not been tested.

There are quite a few on here who are good with stats ..
How do JV's stats look against fellow riders .. Kenny and Archibald where her peers .. at the time it all kicked off .... I think.

How do JV's stats compare to those she was told were required to retain her place? I know you think you know enough to come to a conclusion, others think it would have been better if some independent body looked at all the facts. Sadly it doesn't look like there is such a body for those not directly employed.