Tyre repairs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
flat tyre

Tyre repairs

Post by flat tyre »

I fitted a new set of Schwalbe Durano Pluses three months ago. They've now done about 1500 miles and only one puncture so far which is pretty good going around the mud, flints and thorns of Hampshire in the winter. The tyres do however have several cuts 1-2 mm long and in one case the blue protective layer in the tyre is showing. I'm wondering if it's worth doing anything about this e.g. filling the holes with superglue or rubber cement?
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Tyre repairs

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

flat tyre wrote:I fitted a new set of Schwalbe Durano Pluses three months ago. They've now done about 1500 miles and only one puncture so far which is pretty good going around the mud, flints and thorns of Hampshire in the winter. The tyres do however have several cuts 1-2 mm long and in one case the blue protective layer in the tyre is showing. I'm wondering if it's worth doing anything about this e.g. filling the holes with superglue or rubber cement?

You’re in my kneck of the woods, and you’re having similar issues as I’ve had, with those tyres. I’ve found that the cuts that are down to the blue strip tend to lead to intrusion punctures. I’ve bought some tyre boots

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... -prod13249
and so far I’ve had to use one of them under one of the deeper tyre cuts. I’ve used superglue in the other deep cuts, and it’s worked well. I’ve also got slime filled tubes, which have got me home a couple of times, after a ‘through the cut gusher’.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

That seems like a good idea. I would use a rubber cement as it remains flexible. I would also add some shredded tire rubber to the glue to give some extra puncture resistance.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
mjr

Post by mjr »

Storm Sure is popular around here, but plan to give it two days in the dry to cure at this cold time of year.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

MarcusT wrote:That seems like a good idea. I would use a rubber cement as it remains flexible. I would also add some shredded tire rubber to the glue to give some extra puncture resistance.

Rubber cement works, but as you say, it’s best to add a bit of rubber to give it more resilience. Thixotropuc engineering adhesives work as well.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Thanks for comments. I did try using superglue but it seems have fallen out after a short while.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

most things either don't work at all or fall out/come unstuck after a short while; a palliative for the mind rather than the tyre itself.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Shoe Goo - works well on shoe soles too :roll: ;)
"42"