Cycling to work

shortclaud

Cycling to work

Post by shortclaud »

I'm not sure where to hang this post, but here goes.....
I've always cycled to work, and for me showers take too long. I find a sink, and have a quick scrub with a flannel. I'm dealing face-to-face with customers every day and must look presentable, and it works for me.
I may be able to influence the design of the changing facilities in the new building that replaces the one where I'm working, and am pressing for 'sinks with privacy' rather than multiple showers. The other person who works here does the same as me, but what does everyone else do? Am I just plain wrong in regarding showers as not what active commuters want?
Comments please
thirdcrank

Re: Cycling to work

Post by thirdcrank »

My commuting days are long gone but I did so to a range of workplaces. Unfortunately, not all had showers. I'd say they are the best option if you ride any distance. I did once provide cover for a few days where there were no showers but there was a bathroom (in the English meaning of the word ie room containing a bath) in what had formerly been the superintendent's house. Now, that was time-consuming in comparison with a shower.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Showers and decent sized, secure lockers are worthwhile if you're commuting any distance. That said most of my commutes requiring a shirt & tie/ suit at the end , have been fairly short with somewhere secure enough to store a clean set of clothes and in that scenio, a sink has always been sufficient.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Guess it depends whether you perspire a lot, change/wash clothing often etc, etc.

Personally i'd always push for showers, its not just cyclists that perspire after all! I've worked with people who even commuting by car are quite odourous by the time they reach work! There will be sinks whatever and putting in a shower will be no more expensive than a 'private' change/wash room.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
whoof

Post by whoof »

There are showers at work but sometimes there might be someone in there and I would have to wait and even if this isn't the case it takes a while to get to them shower and get back. Instead I've got a toilet cubicle nearby with a sink in it. Like you i use a flannel in this. Luckily I'm not a big sweater.

My commute is 20 km each way.
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

I used to shower before I set off, then quick birdie bath at a sink when I got to work. Showers handy for other employees such as runners. I tend to sweat more running so would shower after that. I would therefore put showers in at workplaces to give options for the staff.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

In the summer I made use of the showers in work as I was arriving dripping in sweat not helped by the perspex roof of the cycle sheds. An inwork shower for me was in and out in 3 minutes and drying and putting on clean clothes took 4 times as long.
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

shortclaud wrote:I'm not sure where to hang this post, but here goes.....
I've always cycled to work, and for me showers take too long. I find a sink, and have a quick scrub with a flannel. I'm dealing face-to-face with customers every day and must look presentable, and it works for me.
I may be able to influence the design of the changing facilities in the new building that replaces the one where I'm working, and am pressing for 'sinks with privacy' rather than multiple showers. The other person who works here does the same as me, but what does everyone else do? Am I just plain wrong in regarding showers as not what active commuters want?
Comments please

I can't imagine not having a shower when I get to work. I'm not customer-facing, but work in a large, open-plan office. With my backpack on, there is a huge expanse of sweat on my back, and simply changing T-shirts doesn't help that. Every morning into the office, I have a coffee and take my vitamin tablets, and then I'll wander over to the shower. Love it.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
Bez

Post by Bez »

I’d argue for at least one shower, and I can’t stand a flannel wash at a sink. Most people who ride a decent distance will want a shower (as I did this morning); some of those who only cycle a short way will still want one (as I used to every day when I’d get up, throw on some quick-drying shorts etc and have my shower at work—it meant I could get soaked by rain or sweat and not worry; much easier if cycling every day IMO); people who want to go for a run at lunchtime will want one; and I’m sure there are plenty of other cases whether or not they involve cycling.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that some people like to shower, and other don't need to. I sweat quite a bit and prefer to shower when I get to work.

I think that the best would be a combination; some showers, and some sinks with privacy, or maybe cubicles that have both? When a former employer was in a similar position, they added a small locker area, a shower room with two showers, separated by curtains, and a nearby changing area with sinks, also separated by curtains. Both were connected to the locker area.

I think some people are put off active travel to work if they can't shower when they get there. We've had a couple of threads about it in the past.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I prefer a bath tub, like to spend a lot of time there, maybe I could get a waterproof keyboard and work in water
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I prefer a bath tub, like to spend a lot of time there, maybe I could get a waterproof keyboard and work in water

Can't understand why anyone would want to lie in a container of dirty water. And then claim they are clean, uuurrrggghhh!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

foxyrider wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I prefer a bath tub, like to spend a lot of time there, maybe I could get a waterproof keyboard and work in water

Can't understand why anyone would want to lie in a container of dirty water. And then claim they are clean, uuurrrggghhh!

You should try it. I love falling asleep, the water cools and I wake up, I let some out and add more hot water

It is dirty water, but it is my dirty water, to paraphrase a PotUS*

*'He is a b*****d, but he is our b*****d'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Showers cost more and need more work to install. A sink plus decent room to wash will do the same thing. Difference is in the head unless you can't reach your buttock.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mattsccm wrote:Showers cost more and need more work to install. A sink plus decent room to wash will do the same thing. Difference is in the head unless you can't reach your buttock.

Not really, a shower will leave you refreshed, a wash will, well remove some sweat but I always still feel sticky if I can only wash. It's a one off cost to the employer, the benefits to staff morale far outweigh the extra few quid.