Duke In Rollover

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bowedw

Re: Duke In Rollover

Post by Bowedw »

A highish vehicle struck from on the side and moving presumably at an angle to go left or right would easily pop over, witness the number of vans blown over by high winds that make the news periodically.
I am no Royalist but have no issue with the fact that he may have been seen sooner than others. Just his age alone would have given him priority.
The jumped up so called local so called councillors in local government etc are the ones that abuse their position are the ones that get up my nose.
With regard to older drivers, why should he not drive if he meets the criteria and does not cheat on his licence renewal form. The worse drivers I see are young mothers on the school run, in fact, driving standards all around seem to be at an all time low and probably will get worse.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:so he is back driving

.... no actual reasons as yet why he shouldn't
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bowedw wrote:A highish vehicle struck from on the side and moving presumably at an angle to go left or right would easily pop over, witness the number of vans blown over by high winds that make the news periodically.
I am no Royalist but have no issue with the fact that he may have been seen sooner than others. Just his age alone would have given him priority.
The jumped up so called local so called councillors in local government etc are the ones that abuse their position are the ones that get up my nose.
With regard to older drivers, why should he not drive if he meets the criteria and does not cheat on his licence renewal form. The worse drivers I see are young mothers on the school run, in fact, driving standards all around seem to be at an all time low and probably will get worse.

Rollover issues are a well established problem with Range Rovers

IIRC the vehicle that crashed has a level of armour plating so would be even heavier and more likely to roll than a standard model
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Cunobelin wrote:

Seriously??
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Cunobelin wrote:
Bowedw wrote:A highish vehicle struck from on the side and moving presumably at an angle to go left or right would easily pop over, witness the number of vans blown over by high winds that make the news periodically.

Rollover issues are a well established problem with Range Rovers

IIRC the vehicle that crashed has a level of armour plating so would be even heavier and more likely to roll than a standard model

That's an excellent point. When Volvo, who of course have always focussed on safety, were testing their first 4x4 prototype, they were shocked by how easy it was to roll over - it would be sliding sideways on ice at no speed at all then it would hit a kerb sideways and flip over.

Something that came to mind when the Duke said he was blinded by the sun: what about his eyesight? Well, apparently he took a Police eye test today and passed - FWIW - it quite possibly doesn't take into consideration light sensitivity, but I wouldn't know about that.

I think the outcome of all of this will be that the police will have a quiet word in the Prince's/Palace's ear to the effect that if he surrenders his licence they won't prosecute him for causing the collision.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kylecycler wrote:. . When Volvo, who of course have always focussed on safety

Safety for those in volvos, not outside :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Seriously??

It appears that he was driving on estate roads.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I'm not sure it wise if the Duke was driving on public roads but is there anything, other than wisdom, to stop him?
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The estate is so big that normal* public roads go through it
Doubtless there is a private area

* normal for Norfolk :wink:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Bonefishblues wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Seriously??

So?

If a 97yo relative of mine had just rolled his car over, I wouldn't want him back behind the wheel rapidly, estate roads or not.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Seriously??

So?

If a 97yo relative of mine had just rolled his car over, I wouldn't want him back behind the wheel rapidly, estate roads or not.

Right again
Some old people accept it is time to stop
Some do not, they insist on driving

More controls and legislation are needed, yes, more laws :wink:
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

I see he's just been caught driving again without a seat belt not 48hrs after the accident and the police have had a word.

If this was you or I we'd get a fine. No question. Time to get rid of the whole tax evading lot of em. The very idea of a 'Royal' family is anathema in the 21st century. Stick em on a Barratt estate in Slough I say.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I'm not aware that this was an age related event. My car as written off by being hit by twenty something driver, blinded by sunlight. Sunlight is a problem at this time of year. It can hit suddenly as you round a bend.

PS I do not support any idea that 'royalty' should be above the law.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Seriously??

So?

Nor would I.

So?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:I'm not aware that this was an age related event. My car as written off by being hit by twenty something driver, blinded by sunlight. Sunlight is a problem at this time of year. It can hit suddenly as you round a bend.

PS I do not support any idea that 'royalty' should be above the law.

Speed is the problem not sunlight
If one can not see far one should slow down, maybe stop or go another way