Kool Stop vs. Swissstop?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Woodtourer

Kool Stop vs. Swissstop?

Post by Woodtourer »

This is a bit of a tag along to another thread about brake blocks. Funny we call them pads here in the US!
I use Kool Stop on all our bikes but have been hearing about Swissstop. Are they similar in quality and performance?
Thanks!
Brucey

Re: Kool Stop vs. Swissstop?

Post by Brucey »

I prefer the term 'brake block' to 'pad' simply because it is immediately obvious that you are talking about a rim brake and not a disc brake. Similarly I try and avoid the use of the term 'brake shoe' except in reference to drum brakes, for comparable reasons. I'd also suggest that rim brake block parts are best referred to as 'holders and inserts' rather than anything else, simply for clarity.

it is difficult to know what brake blocks are 'best' because that means different things to different people. AFAIK no-one has independently done any meaningful testing. I'm sure the (good) manufacturers have done lots of testing but if so they are keeping their data secret, or only publishing snippets of it.

FWIW I have never been disappointed with Fibrax brake blocks. A bit of a puff-piece here

https://cyclingindustry.news/fibrax-why-cheap-components-can-be-among-the-most-important-for-an-oem/

in which they reckon their brake products are comparable to (or better than) Swissstop ones.

This is better than the normal fodder dished up by the cycling press;

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/buying-guides/422/road-bike-brake-pads

but even so it contains scant actual information, and has been edited so that it barely makes sense; the 'Blackman' reference is presumably from an interview with Ellis Blackman of Fibrax.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Woodtourer wrote:Are they similar in quality and performance?
Thanks!
I used Koolstop some years ago and still have some in places where I am using up ancient stock, so they are fitted to machines used locally. Somewhat more than 10 years ago I tried Swisstop and liked them, so they are on my better machines. Some people complain that Swisstop are expensive, but that is usually only because the Koolstop are priced in pairs while the Swisstop are priced in by set of 4. Just to add something else, on my hardest used and abused machine I have BBB Techstop which I reckon are probably between the others for performance in the wet.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

tatanab wrote:
Woodtourer wrote:Are they similar in quality and performance?
Thanks!
Somewhat more than 10 years ago I tried Swisstop and liked them, so they are on my better machines. Some people complain that Swisstop are expensive, but that is usually only because the Koolstop are priced in pairs while the Swisstop are priced in by set of 4.

I have also been using Swisstop for about 10 years and am very happy with them.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've never been that impressed with modern Koolstop blocks, BBB are certainly quite similar in performance. On the road bikes it's either OE Campag or Swisstop (which work out cheaper than replacement Campag!) last set of SwiSstop set me back £15 which is certainly comparable to other brands that perform less well.

As a footnote, I have some original Koolstop moulded blocks from @ 1979 which were used on my race bike for many years - they just never wore out! Stopped me pretty well if a little grabby!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Having used Swisstop Green (for ali rims) on my summer bike and Koolstop Salmon on my commuter and winter bikes I'd go for Koolstop salmon as it works well from the start and is the most resistant compound I've found to tearing bits of aluminium out of the rim, rim wear is reduced with the salmon blocks.

Swisstop are OK but I've had bits of ali in the pads. They seem to be harder wearing than salmons but I paid £44 for a set of 4 pads and holders so they are expensive here in the UK. Inserts only are much cheaper though.

The salmon Koolstops retail for about £13 a pair here (for V-brake/canti pads) but I believe are cheaper and easier to source in the US which might make them a better option for the OP than Swisstop.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm with Brucey on this.
Blocks are inserted into holders and used in calliper brakes.
Pads are used with disc brakes.
Shoes are in drum brakes.

Compare this to a car.
Pads for discs, and shoes for drums.

As for Koolstop, they can't be better or worse than Swisstop IMHO.
It's only rubber inserted in a holder and provides friction against the rim.
The only difference could be when in wet conditions. I have yet to try my £19 worth of rubber in the rain. The original Shimano was good, and my Campag on the other bike are good too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cours

Post by Cours »

I'm a long term user of Swiss stop. They're especially good on the rain. I feel much more confident out in a wet day than anything I've previously used from Shimano and pryce wise there's not much difference.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I remain to be convinced.
Not optimistic or pessimistic, just remain to be convinced one way or another.

Never ever had a complaint with Campag on Mercian and never ever had a complaint with Shimano on Moulton ........... dry or wet.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cours

Post by Cours »

Mick F wrote:I remain to be convinced.
Not optimistic or pessimistic, just remain to be convinced one way or another.

Never ever had a complaint with Campag on Mercian and never ever had a complaint with Shimano on Moulton ........... dry or wet.

I used to have a nice set of Dura Ace brakes on aluminium rims. I always thought they seemed ac bit dull when braking hard in the rain. I bought Swiss stop because Shimano were out of stock in my lbs and it was a real revelation. And they also seem to last a very, very long time!
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
The salmon Koolstops retail for about £13 a pair...

Salmon Koolstop canti/V inserts are around £6, Shimano inserts are around £8, have a look on Wiggle :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Shimano brake blocks are nothing more than evil and kill your rims in winter riding. I used the Koolstop Salmon blocks for many many years and have been more than happy with them, until about twelve months ago when friend suggested giving the Swissstop "blue" blocks a try.

Needless to say, all my bikes are now on Swissstops!
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

AlanW wrote:Shimano brake blocks are nothing more than evil....

which ones?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Brucey wrote:
AlanW wrote:Shimano brake blocks are nothing more than evil....

which ones?

cheers

All of them, they are all to hard. I would rather replace two or three pairs of Swisstop or Kool Stops in the winter than a rim every four months!
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Listen to a bike braking in the wet with Shimano blocks and then listen to a bike doing the same with either Swissstop or Koolstops. The sound speaks volumes as to which one is damaging your rim the most!