What tours have you done? What do you want to do?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
durhambiker

Re: What tours have you done? What do you want to do?

Post by durhambiker »

ossie wrote:
Xilter wrote:Reading this fills me with despair. I’d LOVE to do a tour. But there is no way my wife would be remotely interested. So I don’t think it will ever happen.

I've been married for 30 years and have been touring for the 8.....alone :D

I try to encourage her to come along (no really) but the good lady refuses.

As for tours , I've done several tours of Southern / SW England. Two longish tours.
Spain back to the UK over the Pyrenees in 2011
Dorset - Harwich - Hook of Holland down the Rhine to Switzerland - back up Loire to Angers - St Malo -2400 km /1500 miles
Various tours of Northern France.

All fully loaded with a tent / cooking gear. Nothing this year as life got in the way. Although the longer tours were challenging in their own different ways I find a week or so in France gives me the same buzz without the hassle of being away from the family for extended periods.

Its a balancing act.

You are so spot on...Balancing act!..I love the whole experience of cycle touring, even when it is a complete pain...Simply because it is my thing.My wife will do it,,if if it flat,,,ish,,,nice hotel at end of it,,etc etc,,it makes planning not impossible,,but more challenging..I do not fancy divorce!!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

It's possible to alternate –
When I'm touring alone, I do 40-50 miles a day, mostly camping, the odd hotel.
When we're a deux, we do about 25 miles every other day, mostly hotels, the odd campsite, eat out more, drink more wine, etc.
They're both extremely enjoyable, in very different ways.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Never assume. Never judge.

What's with the partnership is everything thing?
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

albal1 wrote:Never assume. Never judge.

What's with the partnership is everything thing?

Who assumed anything?
Who judged anyone?
Who suggested 'partnership is everything'?
Jimbob3001

Post by Jimbob3001 »

I decided to go on a little bike ride after finding my wife cheating on me. I packed my bags up(panniers) 2 on the front 2 on the back grabbed a tent and sleeping bag and took a plane ride to Bergen In Norway. From here I headed into the snowy mountains and made my way over to Oslo. After feeling a bit angry at life and the price of beer,I pedalled on to Sweden, then Finland, where the beer was much cheaper. I took a ferry over to Estonia got into a few fights then headed into Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, and Poland. I got a text from my friend saying he was going to be in Stuttgart in a few weeks time and did I want to join him for a bike ride along the Danube. Sure I said and cycled west through Poland and the Czech Republic and met him in Germany, Many beers and miles later along the beautiful Danube we parted company in Austria and I continued to Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia and ended up In Athens drinking with the Greek Gods and Goddesses. An amazing Trip. Did I get her out of my head, yes and no but the bike trip was one hell of a way to try to fight the dragons and demons in my head and soul.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Jimbob3001 wrote:I decided to go on a little bike ride after finding my wife cheating on me. I packed my bags up(panniers) 2 on the front 2 on the back grabbed a tent and sleeping bag and took a plane ride to Bergen In Norway. From here I headed into the snowy mountains and made my way over to Oslo. After feeling a bit angry at life and the price of beer,I pedalled on to Sweden, then Finland, where the beer was much cheaper. I took a ferry over to Estonia got into a few fights then headed into Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, and Poland. I got a text from my friend saying he was going to be in Stuttgart in a few weeks time and did I want to join him for a bike ride along the Danube. Sure I said and cycled west through Poland and the Czech Republic and met him in Germany, Many beers and miles later along the beautiful Danube we parted company in Austria and I continued to Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia and ended up In Athens drinking with the Greek Gods and Goddesses. An amazing Trip. Did I get her out of my head, yes and no but the bike trip was one hell of a way to try to fight the dragons and demons in my head and soul.

That would make a good book
ossie

Post by ossie »

Jimbob3001 wrote:I decided to go on a little bike ride after finding my wife cheating on me. I packed my bags up(panniers) 2 on the front 2 on the back grabbed a tent and sleeping bag and took a plane ride to Bergen In Norway. From here I headed into the snowy mountains and made my way over to Oslo. After feeling a bit angry at life and the price of beer,I pedalled on to Sweden, then Finland, where the beer was much cheaper. I took a ferry over to Estonia got into a few fights then headed into Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, and Poland. I got a text from my friend saying he was going to be in Stuttgart in a few weeks time and did I want to join him for a bike ride along the Danube. Sure I said and cycled west through Poland and the Czech Republic and met him in Germany, Many beers and miles later along the beautiful Danube we parted company in Austria and I continued to Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia and ended up In Athens drinking with the Greek Gods and Goddesses. An amazing Trip. Did I get her out of my head, yes and no but the bike trip was one hell of a way to try to fight the dragons and demons in my head and soul.

Thats brilliant, its just a shame you did it under those circumstances I guess but fair play, what a trip.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Stuff I’d like to do one day includes:

The John Wayne Pioneer Way in Washington state. This one is probably worth waiting a few years for until they develop it further but is always likely to be at the rougher end of rail trails. It’s now been remanded the Palouse to Cascades trail. It was first drawn to my attention on cycle.travel so thanks Richard. https://www.friendsofjohnwaynepioneertrail.org

Prince Edward Island. Drawn to my attention by a recent episode of Michael P wafting around Canadian railways.
https://www.tourismpei.com/pei-cycling

The via Augusta from Germany to Italy also sounds fun. https://www.tyrol.tl/en/leisure-activit ... cle-route/

I’ve also got sections of Eurovelo 6 mentally filed for a family trip and also the Baltic route and the North Sea route.

I’m going to do some of the trails that have interested me for a while in April May including the GAP, KATY and Flint Hills trails in the USA. I also like riding on roads but sometimes it’s good for someone to have the idea to get you started.

One day may be Alaska to Patagonia but I wonder if I’m really up for that,
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

MrsHJ wrote:Stuff I’d like to do one day includes:

The John Wayne Pioneer Way in Washington state. This one is probably worth waiting a few years for until they develop it further but is always likely to be at the rougher end of rail trails. It’s now been remanded the Palouse to Cascades trail. It was first drawn to my attention on cycle.travel so thanks Richard.

I did a bit of this when I cycled from Canada to Mexico. It was very nice. The whole state as well as Oregon was great. The Olympic National Park was a highlight

We weren't camping, but i was a bit worried about bears. I got to the top of one climb and someone asked if we saw the Grilly Bears on the way up. We didn't see them, but saw their tracks and poo. Also pretty sure they saw us
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Just saw details of Eurovelo 8. Looks good. Definitely want to do it when it's finished
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

mnichols wrote:

The John Wayne Pioneer Way in Washington state. This one is probably worth waiting a few years for until they develop it further but is always likely to be at the rougher end of rail trails. It’s now been remanded the Palouse to Cascades trail. It was first drawn to my attention on cycle.travel so thanks Richard.

I did a bit of this when I cycled from Canada to Mexico. It was very nice. The whole state as well as Oregon was great. The Olympic National Park was a highlight

We weren't camping, but i was a bit worried about bears. I got to the top of one climb and someone asked if we saw the Grilly Bears on the way up. We didn't see them, but saw their tracks and poo. Also pretty sure they saw us

Good to know that Oregon is great-I’m planning to go a bit off piste there when I finish my transam. We have friends in Port Townsend and agree re the Olympic NP. The whole NP and public lands network in the USA is great actually. Agreed re bears and camping. I have camped (not when cycling) and spent the whole night petrified.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

MrsHJ wrote:
mnichols wrote:

Good to know that Oregon is great-I’m planning to go a bit off piste there when I finish my transam. We have friends in Port Townsend and agree re the Olympic NP. The whole NP and public lands network in the USA is great actually. Agreed re bears and camping. I have camped (not when cycling) and spent the whole night petrified.

One of, if not the best road I've ever ridden is the Oregsn Scenic Bikeway past Crater Lake
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mnichols wrote:
One of, if not the best road I've ever ridden is the Oregsn Scenic Bikeway past Crater Lake

+1

I've advised on here before to do Crater Lake. It was impressive. It's best to do between June and September, though. They can have snow well into June, And the weather deteriorates in autumn.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Thanks both. I am planning on doing some of the Oregon scenic bikeways down through Oregon instead of using the classic transamerica route, I’ll check which one crater lake is on.