I set off.....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
charliepolecat

Re: I set off.....

Post by charliepolecat »

work, medicine, cinema

I can't imagine ever riding to go to one of those whatever the weather, I do have a car. :?
mjr

Post by mjr »

charliepolecat wrote:
work, medicine, cinema

I can't imagine ever riding to go to one of those whatever the weather, I do have a car. :?

Not sure where you live, but even in my semirural area, driving to those means a fairly high probability of getting stuck in traffic, paying for parking further away from your destination and being less able to get home if it's a hard freeze than if you took a winter bike. It's really worth making life easier by cycling :-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Slightly more successful ride this afternoon:

ride.png

However made the mistake of taking the A246 at rush hour as a short-cut. Not fun, should have taken the lanes.

There was a dusting of snow on the trees at higher ground, which was very picturesque from top of Leith Hill.

Tried to adjust my brakes for reach before I left, turns out that 5700 doesn't have a bolt for that, so not great in gloves.
RickH

Post by RickH »

charliepolecat wrote:
work, medicine, cinema

None of those tonight but babysitting grandchildren.

Mrs H wanted to go somewhere so I offered to use my bike so she could use the car. It was below -3C according to my Garmin the time I got to my destination. A little slower than usual as the 250ft drop in the 1st 0.5 mile on a largely untreated road needed taking cautiously, even with Schwalbe Snow Studs. And the Snow Studs are a bit slower on clear road too.

Probably proves what a lady getting off the train at Chester with my bike at the same time as me yesterday said - "You're probably one of those nutters who enjoy going out in this?" as she shivered at the cold. I agreed with a smile & took it as a compliment! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

RickH wrote:
charliepolecat wrote:
work, medicine, cinema

None of those tonight but babysitting grandchildren.

Mrs H wanted to go somewhere so I offered to use my bike so she could use the car. It was below -3C according to my Garmin the time I got to my destination. A little slower than usual as the 250ft drop in the 1st 0.5 mile on a largely untreated road needed taking cautiously, even with Schwalbe Snow Studs. And the Snow Studs are a bit slower on clear road too.

Probably proves what a lady getting off the train at Chester with my bike at the same time as me yesterday said - "You're probably one of those nutters who enjoy going out in this?" as she shivered at the cold. I agreed with a smile & took it as a compliment! :D

I was thinking this, as I did my ride today: it's far easier cycling in 1C or whatever than it is in direct tropical sunshine at 32C as i normally do.

I did stop for some ginger beer half way round but could probably have managed without. Sadly the nanny state has ruined my drink, as what was once 50g sugar per can is now 16g and lots of cancer inducing chemicals. It also tastes disgusting now, so won't do that again.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

TrevA wrote:Height makes a lot of difference, I presume the 1st picture was up on the moor?

I been out in the Vale of Belvoir with everything ok, and then climbed up onto the ridge (only a difference of 200 feet) and everything was white over with lying snow.

The pic was at @ 320m but the snow has been lying from @ 200m. Where I live is just shy of 180m and not a sign!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

thelawnet wrote:I did stop for some ginger beer half way round but could probably have managed without. Sadly the nanny state has ruined my drink, as what was once 50g sugar per can is now 16g and lots of cancer inducing chemicals. It also tastes disgusting now, so won't do that again.

Fentiman's, Fever Tree and Belvoir are still OK but most of the others have decided to use chemicals instead of pay the sugar tax.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

mjr wrote:
thelawnet wrote:I did stop for some ginger beer half way round but could probably have managed without. Sadly the nanny state has ruined my drink, as what was once 50g sugar per can is now 16g and lots of cancer inducing chemicals. It also tastes disgusting now, so won't do that again.

Fentiman's, Fever Tree and Belvoir are still OK but most of the others have decided to use chemicals instead of pay the sugar tax.

I wasn't paying much attention tbh, as I'd left my bike outside the newsagent unlocked, and saw the '50p' label and thought 'that will do'.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

"You're probably one of those nutters who enjoy going out in this?" as she shivered at the cold. I agreed with a smile & took it as a compliment! :D

Super! :D :D :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

thelawnet wrote:
mjr wrote:Fentiman's, Fever Tree and Belvoir are still OK but most of the others have decided to use chemicals instead of pay the sugar tax.

I wasn't paying much attention tbh, as I'd left my bike outside the newsagent unlocked, and saw the '50p' label and thought 'that will do'.

Yeah, lesson for the future. I think any sweetener-free one now costs over a quid a drink.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

mjr wrote:
thelawnet wrote:
mjr wrote:Fentiman's, Fever Tree and Belvoir are still OK but most of the others have decided to use chemicals instead of pay the sugar tax.

Yeah, lesson for the future. I think any sweetener-free one now costs over a quid a drink.

coca cola is still full of sugar. :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

thelawnet wrote:
mjr wrote:Yeah, lesson for the future. I think any sweetener-free one now costs over a quid a drink.

coca cola is still full of sugar. :D

Aye, but that's not ginger beer and the sugared "classic" is now more expensive than the various sweetenered versions like the misleading red-with-black-stripe "zero sugar" (sometimes 50% more for small bottles).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I thought the sugar tax only applied on bottles 1.5l and larger?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I thought the sugar tax only applied on bottles 1.5l and larger?

no, it applies to everything with 5g/sugar litre or higher, and it's 18p/litre at 5-8g, and 24p at 8g+.

Exempt are juices (very sugary), and flavoured milks (likewise)

The tax is paid by the producer, so the impact on the consumer might be higher. For example Fever Tree 'light' tonic water (4.9g sugar, exempt) is £1.70/0.5l, whereas the full fat stuff (7.8g) is £1.85/0.5l, which is 30p/l effectively. On other volumes, e.g., 4*200ml, it works out as 25p/l, and on 8*150ml likewise 25p/litre.

Typically orange juice, Coca Cola, etc. have 10.6g/litre of sugar.

Lucozade Energy, which used to be very sugary, but they cut more than half the sugar out, this upset diabetics. I think if you want a very sugary drink now you have to drink Monster or Red Bull or something.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Okay, thanks. Maybe there was a proposal at one point that it should only apply on larger bottles? Or I've got that idea from somewhere anyway.