Best Ebikes for Touring?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
woldsweather

Best Ebikes for Touring?

Post by woldsweather »

Any recommendations for E-Bikes suitable for touring?
NickWi

Re: Best Ebikes for Touring?

Post by NickWi »

The type of touring you're into would be useful to know.
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

99% roads occasional railtrails, canal towpaths etc. 50- 60 miles per day.
stodd

Post by stodd »

In the more expensive ranges, Cube Touring and Raleigh Motus. Lower price look at Woosh (for full bike of for conversion kits) or Juicy.
horizon

Post by horizon »

woldsweather wrote:99% roads occasional railtrails, canal towpaths etc. 50- 60 miles per day.

I know little about e-bikes but AFAIK those who do may need to know how much luggage you want to take (e.g. is this fully loaded camping touring or just day rides with no luggage), how fit you are and how hilly your terrain (though you have said canal towpaths).

AIUI, the triple whammy of load, distance and hills (all three fairly endemic in touring) can be challenging for an ebike but I wait with interest to see what others say.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

I'll be band b in so 30 kg.
hemo

Post by hemo »

If you have very deep pockets a Rolhoff Reise and Muller super charger with twin batteries, a tank of a bike.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I travelled fully laden for camping around Perthshire doing about 40-50 miles per day. I never ran below 25% charge. I had prearranged lunch/breakfast/evening meal stops in order to charge up.
John
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

Re fitness I am normal weight for 6 ft 4 and work in the garden (200m long up and down all day) 6 hours a day thought think of myself as especially fit. I cant walk anymore due to arthritis in my hip but it doesn't affect cycling.
bob simpson

Post by bob simpson »

I've recently purchased a Giant Explore +1 which I can recommend. Will handle any type of touring you may wish to try.

Bob
groberts

Post by groberts »

Oldjohnw wrote:I travelled fully laden for camping around Perthshire doing about 40-50 miles per day. I never ran below 25% charge. I had prearranged lunch/breakfast/evening meal stops in order to charge up.

I would be interested to know what sort of places allow you to charge whilst touring, this seems to me could be something of an obstacle, especially of camping? Do you pay for the charge - if so how do you arrive at a figure?

Thanks, Graham
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Oldjohnw wrote:
I travelled fully laden for camping around Perthshire doing about 40-50 miles per day. I never ran below 25% charge. I had prearranged lunch/breakfast/evening meal stops in order to charge up.

I would be interested to know what sort of places allow you to charge whilst touring, this seems to me could be something of an obstacle, especially of camping? Do you pay for the charge - if so how do you arrive at a figure?

Thanks, Graham

I phoned various pubs/cafes ahead of time. I bought food and contributed to whatever charity box was there. My understanding is that a full charge is a matter of pence.
John
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks John, that's reassuring.

I wonder what others do when touring, what's the attitude charging when you just turn up or with e-bikes in Europe - say France or Italy - either camping or elsewhere? I ask as I'm keen to get touring with my e-bike but am put off by the doubt about where to get a charge.

Graham
hemo

Post by hemo »

Typically a 15ah battery to charge is < 5p.
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

Really? I read somewhere before I got mine that its 75p.