Sky not funding Team Sky from 2020

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
mjr

Re: Sky not funding Team Sky from 2020

Post by mjr »

ChrisButch wrote:
pjclinch wrote:
If what is now Team Sky survive but with a sharp budget cut I think that would be a Good Thing. They can still do well with merely a good selection of good riders, rather than a suffocating selection of good riders.

Yes. On several occasions they've been fielding teams in simultaneous stage races in different countries. That must be a dispensable luxury.

I think it's a requirement of being a World Tour team to field teams in all World Tour races (maybe not ones in their first year?) and sometimes stage races overlap, so they'll have to continue doing that. They could save money by sending a short-handed skeleton team of breakaway escape artists to the less important race (I think Astana has fielded 5 riders in a 9-rider-team race in the past) and by not sending teams to as many Europe Tour races like the Tour of Britain.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hondated

Post by hondated »

100%JR wrote:Virgin?

Yes he might be able to fund it from the compensation he claimed for not winning an NHS contract or from the money he is saving in taxes by not being domiciled in the UK. :(
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Mike Ashley seems to have plenty of spare cash, especially if he manages to sell Newcastle United. So a Sports Direct/Tri Uk team, riding Muddy Fox badged bikes and kit?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

So long as the rules don't limit budgets, it seems a bit naïve to expect sponsors to show restraint if the have the money to spend.

Soccer has "Fair Play" rules.
https://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2064391.html

The most obvious thing to me is that clubs cannot run at a loss. However, a cycling team will have virtually no income apart from sponsorship: the prze money is generally small and they have no way of collecting gate money.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

TrevA wrote:Mike Ashley seems to have plenty of spare cash, especially if he manages to sell Newcastle United. So a Sports Direct/Tri Uk team, riding Muddy Fox badged bikes and kit?

Dunno how far £4.50 and a bag of chips will go, tbh.

Being serious, the extent to which Sky has distorted the sport really dawned on me when I attended a talk given by the person who designed their team coach basically without having to be concerned about a budget.
TenuousLink

Post by TenuousLink »

Bonefishblues wrote:
TrevA wrote:Mike Ashley seems to have plenty of spare cash, especially if he manages to sell Newcastle United. So a Sports Direct/Tri Uk team, riding Muddy Fox badged bikes and kit?

Dunno how far £4.50 and a bag of chips will go, tbh.

Being serious, the extent to which Sky has distorted the sport really dawned on me when I attended a talk given by the person who designed their team coach basically without having to be concerned about a budget.

Which is why all the productive staff connected, have jumped ship last year!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Like who?

"History and economic reality are against Brailsford. If he can pull it off, it will be a far more unlikely feat than winning the Tour de France six times in seven seasons with three different riders. Then again 10 years ago no one thought that was possible." https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ord-cyling
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Comcast to continue part-funding Team Sky through to 2021.They're allegedly willing to put up 70% with the remainder coming from other sponsors.That's around £24.5m if the £35m current running costs are to be believed.
https://road.cc/content/news/254305-liv ... LH3OZlg6Lk

Probably carry on regardless after that :wink:
RickH

Post by RickH »

Whilst complete changes of sponsorship do happen, it seems fairly common for a sponsor to come on board with a team & work their way up to main sponsor over several seasons (minor>major>lead).

The other complication that needs to be worked out is that, I believe, the team is owned by Sky rather than just sponsored by them so ownership will need to be sorted as well. If they just closed the team down would Sky be liable for redundancy payments for employees (& would riders with multi-year contracts count in that)? It might even work out cheaper (or not significantly more expensive) for Sky to carry on for a bit.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is probably more complicated than that, companies in several different countries, complicated contracts and agreements,advisors and consultants, co-sponsors..
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Postboxer wrote:Maybe Dyson or someone like that? Googling reveals Dyson have sponsored Bath rugby for the last four years and will do until at least 2023.

Dyson could sponsor a team and 'Hoover up' all the prizes :lol: