extending record time for Garmin

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxyrider

extending record time for Garmin

Post by foxyrider »

So okay, most of my rides end conveniently with somewhere to recharge the Garmin but on occasion they don't or for one reason or another the unit runs seriously low on power. For instance, recent cold weather rides have seen the power drop quite rapidly, one ride got to a 'low power' message.

There are of course assorted power banks available, my question really is, can you connect a power pack to a Garmin whilst it's recording to top up/power things?

I've got a 520 if that affects things.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: extending record time for Garmin

Post by Mick F »

All my Garmin devices have worked when connected to a power source. Not a computer of course, but an external power source.
Edge 305, Edge 705, Edge 20, and Montana.

The 305, 705 and Montana came with their own mains adaptor, but the Edge 20 has only a USB lead. That will plug into any USB power source and still work "live". In fact, I think it works from my computer after ejecting it off the desktop but leaving it connected.
Mick F. Cornwall
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

An Edge 520 will continue working while plugged into a power supply. The problem is that while plugged in, the GPS is no longer waterproof. The powerbanks (batteries) aren’t waterproof either. And finally, the Micro-USB plug and socket are hopelessly ill-suited to the stresses of a jostling cable on a bicycle. For related reasons Apple developed its (much superior) Lightning port for phones. Most Garmins eventually die when their USB port no longer works from regular plugging in and out, never mind in-ride use. So there is significant risk in doing this.

But yes, it theoretically works.

A better solution is another GPS device with a better battery life, e.g. Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, Garmin eTrex, Garmin Edge 1030 (which lasts longer and has a battery pack option in addition). None of these are vastly better (eTrex aside) but you may not need a tremendous improvement.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Avoid charging Li-Ion batteries at temperatures below freezing, a simple charger pack may cause permanent damage
Li-Ion will work quite happily below freezing, losing 10%, on a par with NiMH, but outperforming lead-acid and alkaline
Try this... https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... A6CED.html
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I noticed my battery level dropped quicker than normal a couple of weekends ago on my newish Explore. I read somewhere that Apple are rumoured to be switching to the mini USB on the next new iPhone!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

tim-b wrote:Hi
Avoid charging Li-Ion batteries at temperatures below freezing, a simple charger pack may cause permanent damage
Li-Ion will work quite happily below freezing, losing 10%, on a par with NiMH, but outperforming lead-acid and alkaline
Try this... https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... A6CED.html
Regards
tim-b

I was thinking initially of a top up during tea stops but an on the go solution would be good too.

To be fair, the ride when it flashed a warning, I was about 6 hours into a ride that never got above 0 and dropped to -8c at times. I've had day rides in warmer weather of over 12 hours without getting anywhere close to that low.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
RickH

Post by RickH »

philvantwo wrote:I noticed my battery level dropped quicker than normal a couple of weekends ago on my newish Explore. I read somewhere that Apple are rumoured to be switching to the mini USB on the next new iPhone!

If they are switching to a USB standard (& I have no knowledge either way), I would expect it to be USB C.

With regard to battery consumption, plugging into a power source at stops can add a useful amount of charge. Turning off things that drain the power most - screen back-light (in daylight most Edges are perfectly use able with it completely off), WiFi & Bluetooth - will make a significant difference. Trying to stay off the map screen (with units that do mapping) as much as possible helps too.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

RickH wrote:
philvantwo wrote:I noticed my battery level dropped quicker than normal a couple of weekends ago on my newish Explore. I read somewhere that Apple are rumoured to be switching to the mini USB on the next new iPhone!

If they are switching to a USB standard (& I have no knowledge either way), I would expect it to be USB C.

Doubt it. Apple used to have their giant 30pin cable, which was very clunky. They then came out with Lightning which is much better. The other end will either be USB-A (the full size usb on a.computer) or usb-c (the reversible lightning-like connector that is the replacement for micro-usb). To change the Lightning end to usb-c would be worse because it's not really better, it would be open and cut Apple's revenue, and it would break Apple-specific gadgets like docks

As far as micro-usb goes, it is not that bad - usb is worst, mini USB as found on older Garmins is also bad as essentially it is designed to fail after a relatively small.number of cycles. Both micro-usb and usb-c are rated at 10,000 cycles. I'm not aware of evidence that lightning is better in this regard.

What you can do in terms of charging is look at magnetic micro usb sockets. You do need to buy a good one, as the cheap ones seem to be poor quality, but they are likely to be more durable than trying to connect a cable when there is movement and friction etc.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I run 520, admittedly recently most rides have not been more than 6 hours or in/around that ballpark. To extend battery life, turn down auxilliary functions, ie back light, warnings / how long they are on screen, and turn off any phone connection blue tooth apps. Use the power bank to boost when in cafes.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells