Coach indicator light

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Coach indicator light

Post by MikeF »

Whilst I was cycling today a small coach overtook me and then indicated left and pulled into a bus stop bay. I have no complaints about the driving but what I noticed was that in addition to left indicator there was another circular yellow light with cycle symbol which flashed in sync. I've not seen this before and wonder if this is a one off or used elsewhere.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Coach indicator light

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

MikeF wrote:Whilst I was cycling today a small coach overtook me and then indicated left and pulled into a bus stop bay. I have no complaints about the driving but what I noticed was that in addition to left indicator there was another circular yellow light with cycle symbol which flashed in sync. I've not seen this before and wonder if this is a one off or used elsewhere.

These are common in Holland, and in other places on the continent. Not so much in the U.K.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Have seen the indicator light on the newer double deck coaches operated by the local National Express operator but never been in a position to get the light on video and don't think it will come out too well being a LED light. What appears to be a solid light to the naked eye will appear to flash when on camera depending on the recording framerate .

foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Never seen that, hopefully the drivers don't rely on that and not check their mirrors.

Recently seen an increase in late overtakes and immediate left indicators.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The one I saw did not have a line through the cycle symbol and was at at the right height for a cyclist to see. The one on the National Express coach is in completely the wrong position. :roll: However I hope they are not going to become the norm for "I don't need to look in my mirrors"
Last edited by Graham on 28 Jan 2019, 8:19am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: snip
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Olliespilot

Post by Olliespilot »

Here's our cyclist warning light. I've just finished fitting it, hard work and over £400 including wire, connectors etc. Our motorhome is 26'/8 metres long (plus sometimes a trailer) and when turning tight left handers, I have to adopt a "middle of the road" position. I cycle a lot. including city centres on our travels. Unfortunately there are a few riders (both cyclists and moped riders) who don't seem to see our left turn indicators?? Over the last couple of years there have been several fatalities in London with LGVs turning left. If I can save one near miss (or worse) the work and cost will be worth it. If you see us on the road, give us a wave to acknowledge at least one driver trying to keep all of us safer on two (or three) wheels. I should see you because I do use my mirrors and don't see the extra light as an excuse to lessen this.
Attachments
100B3729.JPG
mjr

Post by mjr »

If you think your indicator is too hard to see, fit a better one. Please do not fit an anti-cycling symbol and fuel the hate.:-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mjr wrote:If you think your indicator is too hard to see, fit a better one. Please do not fit an anti-cycling symbol and fuel the hate.:-(

He didn't say that.He said "some cyclists and moped riders don't seem to see his left turn indicator"
You see an anti-cycling symbol fueling hate?
I see a warning light.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Think I’m ‘on the fence’ over this one! Yes, I agree, don’t like the cyclist indicator - normal indicator should be sufficient, but?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The amount of ( presumably inexperienced ) cyclists I see who are positioned on the left flank of a PSV/ LGV and then dart up the side when they ( wrongly ) assume the vehicle is moving right, to turn right, when they actually do exactly the opposite, is frightening. If you remove all doubt, no one can doubt the intentions of the driver of the large vehicles. Darwin will account for the rest.
mjr

Post by mjr »

100%JR wrote:
mjr wrote:If you think your indicator is too hard to see, fit a better one. Please do not fit an anti-cycling symbol and fuel the hate.:-(

He didn't say that.He said "some cyclists and moped riders don't seem to see his left turn indicator"
I see a warning light.

There is nothing showing what it's warning of: no arrow or wording or inclusion of a caravan symbol. It just looks like some caravannist hates bikes so much they've fitted a flashing "no no cycling" symbol.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mjr wrote:
100%JR wrote:

I see a warning light.

There is nothing showing what it's warning of: no arrow or wording or inclusion of a caravan symbol. It just looks like some caravannist hates bikes so much they've fitted a flashing "no no cycling" symbol.

I disagree.
It’s clear to me it means do not pass on my left.....then again I know that if the indicator is flashing...which is why it doesn’t need an arrow.
Last edited by 100%JR on 29 Jan 2019, 3:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

A bit of googling found one. It is claimed that it meets the FORS requirement that "Signage and markings shall warn the Vulnerable Road User of the potential danger, advising people to take their own appropriate action. Signage and markings shall not be offensive and should not give instructional advice to the Vulnerable Road User." I can't help but wonder where it sits in terms of RVLR, I lack the inclination to unpick the regs to find the answer.

Why on earth somebody feels it approporiate to stick one on the back of a Land Rover Discovery (as pictured in the link) is beyond me.