Total votes: 42

ThePinkOne

Re: Vege, Vegan or Carnivore

Post by ThePinkOne »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Went to a talk about institutional food in the 16th century
Fish at nearly every meal, lots of cabbage*, no potatoes
*the expert wondered how the people smelled :?

With their noses? :lol:

My dog has no nose :?
Actually if one eats a lot of cabbage one does not smell, the digestion adapts
I eat a lot of porridge, I am fragrant

Not just to cabbage, digestion also adapts to beans/pulses too and contrary to popular belief pulses don't have to be prepared in a way which leaves them not-very-digestable.

Cooking from dried and doing an overnight/24hr soak with a couple of water changes helps digestability alot (whereas the tinned varieties tend to be thick-skinned types and not soaked pre-cooking). If you use a pressure cooker, dried pulses are easy to cook and the soaking doesn't take much effort- just remember to do it 8) . I cook the soaked pulses with a bit of veggie stock and a dollop of Hodemedod's fermented fava bean paste, the cooked pulses in what is effectively gravy then goes into whatever recipe I am using. (Any recipe using tomatoes- cook the pulses first then use them as acidic conditions makes it difficult to cook the pulses properly, they tend to remain hard). That way you get some really nice pulse dishes.

For buying decent dried pulses, I'm a big fan of Hodemedod's offerings- UK-grown haricot beans, carlin peas, fava beans- I often use carlin peas instead of chick-peas. They also do some other interesting things like UK-grown puffed quinoa which is great with natural yogurt and fruit as breakfast, and barley flakes which can be cooked into porrige or otherwise used like rolled oats.

TPO
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Vegan,,, ish...55,heart attack 5 years ago,,seemed to go from meat and two veg,,,binge on dairy milk, etc,,and never lose weight,,,and seem to have that,"bonk" low blood sugar at times...Vegan since Jan 1st...Main things..Appetite in general seems much less.Pleasantly surprised how tasty veggie food is..Even oaty milk on porridge is fine..
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tried to buy food for the weekend yesterday evening, without success
The large bright store had potatoes only in big sacks, couldnae find any leeks (maybe they were hidden), of course awful muzak was being played
Trying again today at the cheap store

Why are super-markets so un-super? Don't they want our cash?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Tried to buy food for the weekend yesterday evening, without success
The large bright store had potatoes only in big sacks, couldnae find any leeks (maybe they were hidden), of course awful muzak was being played

What's wrong with that? We always buy tates in 25kg sacks. They keep a long time if stored properly.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
What's wrong with that? We always buy tates in 25kg sacks. They keep a long time if stored properly.

But not so easy to get into a pannier!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Not a problem - the farmer drops a bag off when he goes past our house.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Tried to buy food for the weekend yesterday evening, without success

Sainsburys sell veg loose - bought 2 carrots, 1 leek and 2 mushrooms today. No plastic bags (they have paper bags for the mushrooms), green as a green thing.

Alternatively, there are literally dozens of farm shops around who sell loose veg.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Nice! I used to buy some of my spuds direct from the source, but they weren't delivered! I took them home in the trailer. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Nice! I used to buy some of my spuds direct from the source, but they weren't delivered! I took them home in the trailer. :lol:

He also drops off fresh calabrese and daffs in season. They're free because he's a friend and grows them.Tates used to be free but he's stopped growing them so has to buy in. The occasional bottle of Laphroaig goes the other way though.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The local wholefood stores have cafes too
Overheard someone speculating that this is a way to use up food that can not be retailed because of the sell-by date
I can well believe it, the stuff can be $old for mor€ too :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

I'm an omnivore, I eat a wide range of foods, including a variety of meets. My daughter is vegan and since then my wife, son and his wife have tried to join in at times but for a short period. I can go to a vegan restaurant and happily eat something that I enjoy, however, at any other restaurant a vegan dish wouldn't be my choice.

My daughter turning vegan has meant a few changes in our family, all my children are grown up and left home so when we get together there must be a vegan choice for my daughter and partner.... I used to do several BBQs in the summer months but I now leave the privilege to others that can be bothered to cook food on 2 BBQs, use two sets of everything... if I'm honest, all that fuss, it's what really annoys me. It has also created conflicts as my vegan daughter and partner expect everybody to dance a vegan tune lol and by that I mean, when we are getting together at ours or other two "children" there is a vegan choice but when it's her turn to host the family, she won't cook non vegan food so other daughter + husband + kids and I don't go. I could go and eat something but that is not the issue, I hate to be dictated anything, veganism, religion, politics, etc. I'm an atheist and my wife is catholic and yet we never had a problem in 40 years of marriage, we respect each other's views without even thinking about it.

So, I guess the choice of food is not a problem for me but how some people go about pushing veganism is what annoys me.... which goes right with the times we live in, one has to be politically correct or risk upsetting someone.