I know I was stupid to buy it...but now?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Re: I know I was stupid to buy it...but now?

Post by Brucey »

ibgarrow wrote:Now I'm in trouble.
I found the derailleur jockey wheels completely worn out, so new ones ordered, derailleur degreaser (mess) and wheels replaced. Now to fit my new chain...
Except my piece of crap Chinese chain tool was so imprecise, it's snapped off the rivet from the guide pin that guides it in. End result is that the rivet isn't entering the chain link straight, and I don't want to force the issue in case I damage the chain!

Any ideas, other than using a split link to join the chain?

the link with the pin in wonky is now 'damaged' in the side plates and will never be the same again. Thus you should remove it and throw it away. Having done that, the obvious repair is to fit a quicklink.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ibgarrow

Post by ibgarrow »

Now have a working chain, courtesy of Mr Smartlink. Had to remove the outer link section to which Campagnolo fits a label saying in no circs must I remove!
Added bike cadence/speedo (and heart rate monitor!)
Now just waiting for the next dry, fine day to give it its second try out.

PS still looking for wheels with Campagnolo freehub and 10-speed cassette to replace the Shimano ones. As a novice, I can't tell a good gear change from a bad one, but it helps my OCD to have the correct cassette to go with the Campagnolo shifters, front and rear derailleurs.

Once again, thanks to all who've given of their expertise, time and advice .
ibgarrow

Post by ibgarrow »

If someone offers me a Campagnolo Record cassette, how would I know whether it's a Record version, or higher/lower spec.?
All I can see stamped on the end of the cassette is the brand name and other tech info. Nothing on which model it is....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

compare how the cassette is constructed. You can see pictures in the spare parts pdfs which you can download (by model year) from the campag website.

cheers
ibgarrow

Post by ibgarrow »

Perhaps I'm being thick, but I can only see the PDFs for 2018&19
Short of asking the vendor to disassemble the cassette, there appears no visual way to identify a model.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there is an extensive 'archive' section on their website . Spares from about 1993 are documented.

The construction details are often fairly obvious when the cassette is installed; the posher cassettes have lightweight carriers to hold the sprockets. In some cases the finish is slightly different and there is no other obvious difference.

BTW buying used cassettes is a real lottery; the slightest wear on them and they won't work with a new chain. You are far better off with a new cassette of any kind than a worn one, no matter how posh it might be.

cheers
ibgarrow

Post by ibgarrow »

Thanks. Again!