met office

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NUKe

met office

Post by NUKe »

This seems to have just appeared on the met Office site
https://beta.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/w ... -in-winter

and a bit more here
https://beta.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/w ... conditions

seems like sound advice and no mention of hats
NUKe

Re: met office

Post by mjr »

OK as far as they go but a bit of a slip at one point towards "keep seen" nonsense and no mention of studded or winter tyres either, sadly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I like the Met Office. I have a soft spot for them for calling D a Day right and feel the BBC shouldn’t have dropped them. I’ve even invested in their weather app.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Not sure about using both brakes, I try and avoid touching the front. Also I head to the main roads and steer clear of paths when ice is around. hard to give general advice I suppose.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

geocycle wrote:Not sure about using both brakes, I try and avoid touching the front. Also I head to the main roads and steer clear of paths when ice is around. hard to give general advice I suppose.

+1 on that.

That said, anything that encourages more people to use 2 wheels should be lauded - so many people dump the bike in favour of the car as soon as the temperature drops, completely the wrong way around!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Whippet wrote:I like the Met Office. I have a soft spot for them for calling D a Day right and feel the BBC shouldn’t have dropped them. I’ve even invested in their weather app.
Not sure they had a choice. Government require BBC to put services out to competitive tender and the Met Office was nowhere near.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

st599_uk wrote:
Whippet wrote:I like the Met Office. I have a soft spot for them for calling D a Day right and feel the BBC shouldn’t have dropped them. I’ve even invested in their weather app.
Not sure they had a choice. Government require BBC to put services out to competitive tender and the Met Office was nowhere near.

Perhaps the BBC should be put out to tender.
NUKe

Post by st599_uk »

NUKe wrote:
st599_uk wrote:

Perhaps the BBC should be put out to tender.
Quite a lot of it is. The law now requires between 25 and 50% shows to be made by Indies.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
RickH

Post by RickH »

The Met Office have a Youtube channel (link) with forecasts several times a day - plus the week ahead, longer trends & videos on particular subjects - if you want to watch their forecasting.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Should the Met Office be giving cycling advice???
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Should the Met Office be giving cycling advice???

Did you click the link? If you did then you would have seen that the Met Office has taken the advice from British Cycling.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

What next......The lung foundation telling us how to breathe??
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

philvantwo wrote:What next......The lung foundation telling us how to breathe??

I think that is a bit unfair, the article is aimed at people thinking of cycling in the winter months, not your dyed in the wool tourists.
NUKe