Rear view glasses

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ndwgolf

Rear view glasses

Post by ndwgolf »

When out riding I just find it so difficult to have a good look behind me especially when I’m away to move from the bike lane to the main lane for cars.
Is there any rear view glasses that anyone on here are using?
God knows why but I don’t fancy mounting anything on the handle bars.......
Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
1982john

Re: Rear view glasses

Post by 1982john »

I've been using a mirror attached to the bar end of a drop bar which is working well for me. There is a mirror that attaches to a helmet which I've seen a few people with.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

I’ve seen the Corky and really wanted to get that but my Di2 controller is on the right side of the drop bar so given up on that idea.
Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I know you have stated that you don't want to fit anything on your bars but I would highly recommend this BM bar-end mirror. I fitted one to our tandem and it is great. Very discreet.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... drop-bars/

Ian
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

There are "helmet mirrors". Zefal and Blackburn among two manufactures.
I'm not sure but I think there are ones that attach to glasses.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

iandusud wrote:I know you have stated that you don't want to fit anything on your bars but I would highly recommend this BM bar-end mirror. I fitted one to our tandem and it is great. Very discreet.

Ian
looks good but it’s the same as the Corky and it won’t fit into the right bar end as the Di2 controller has already taken that spot.
Neil
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

if you have the cash here you are
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ed-rearvie

Pat
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There are both hat mounted and glasses mounted mirrors, but I’d recommend something bike mounted.

The bike eye mounts centrally, and probably requires you to hold you right leg somewhat open, and not have any luggage... bar ends/drop lever mounts are probably the easiest solution though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Patrickpioneer wrote:if you have the cash here you are
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ed-rearvie

Pat

Anyone ever tried these? I happy to pay the £££ if there any good.
Neil
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

iandusud wrote:I know you have stated that you don't want to fit anything on your bars but I would highly recommend this BM bar-end mirror. I fitted one to our tandem and it is great. Very discreet.

Ian

I have one on both my steeds. Highly recommended.
If they broke or were stolen, I'd replace them straightaway.
Mick F. Cornwall
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Thanks for all the feedback...........I have ordered these and happy to be the guinea pig
Screenshot 2019-01-27 18.04.06.png

Hopefully I will get them in the next 10 days and will let you all know how I get on with them

Neil
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

ndwgolf wrote:Thanks for all the feedback...........I have ordered these and happy to be the guinea pig

Hopefully I will get them in the next 10 days and will let you all know how I get on with them

Neil

They certainly look good. My only problem is that I cycle in Spain and the UK, so would need two pairs. Anyway, very interested to hear how you get on with them.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

If that doesn't work try a "third eye mirror". You can find them on ebay. There are various types that fit onto your specs side arm or stick onto helmets.
I have used this type for many years and find them the best. In France I swap the mirror over to the LH side spec arm.
They give a good head-up display of what is behind whilst searching for potholes ahead.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

ndwgolf wrote:Thanks for all the feedback...........I have ordered these and happy to be the guinea pig

Neil

Did they arrive, are you using them?
pat
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Patrickpioneer wrote:

Neil

Did they arrive, are you using them?
pat

Yes they did Pat and I love them. They take a little to get used to them but once you do it’s just a case of lifting your head a little and turning your head slightly to the right. I just wish they could come with my prescription so that I could see the computer clearly.
Maybe they will have that option at a later date.
Neil