Increasing cyclist numbers?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gbnz

Increasing cyclist numbers?

Post by gbnz »

Anyone know whether there's been an increase in cyclist no.'s over the last ten years or so?

I only ask as it's impossible to avoid the fact that locally there's been a huge increase - ten years ago I averaged 200 miles a week, it was unsual to see anyone, other than the other cyclist in town (We never spoke, she had cheap panniers :? ). Yet to an increasingg extent, every 1 mile walk into town / 20 mile quick winter circuit, results in 3-6 cyclists passing on the other side of the road, almost all road cyclists

Even today, 40-50mph winds, heavy rain, 1 mile walk into town resulted in my spotting 3 teenagers "tooled" up on bikes and an adult on a road bike (Nb. I'll be assembling the summer bike indoors today!)
mattsccm

Re: Increasing cyclist numbers?

Post by mattsccm »

Stacks more. No longer uncommon on the roads. Millions of MTB ers where I live, Forest of Dean. Less kids though. Perhaps they are in the woods.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Numbers have increased significantly since the TDF Grand Depart here(Yorkshire) in 2014.
My sons CC has over 350 members,other CCs in the area have 500+ members and kids racing(Closed circuit and Cyclo-cross) is huge now.
My CC are in the process of getting Coaches trained to have a kids section now too.
Very common to see cyclists out especially at weekends now.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

100%JR wrote:Numbers have increased significantly .

Pretty positive then (NB. Can't help thinking that at a subconscious level I was focusing on other bikes, to offset my much reduced mileage!)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

gbnz wrote:Anyone know whether there's been an increase in cyclist no.'s over the last ten years or so?

I only ask as it's impossible to avoid the fact that locally there's been a huge increase - ten years ago I averaged 200 miles a week, it was unsual to see anyone, other than the other cyclist in town (We never spoke, she had cheap panniers :? ). Yet to an increasingg extent, every 1 mile walk into town / 20 mile quick winter circuit, results in 3-6 cyclists passing on the other side of the road, almost all road cyclists

Even today, 40-50mph winds, heavy rain, 1 mile walk into town resulted in my spotting 3 teenagers "tooled" up on bikes and an adult on a road bike (Nb. I'll be assembling the summer bike indoors today!)

The answer to your question is no, modal share of all journeys (not just commuting) remained static at 2%. This was made clear last year in the latest figures. Whilst the number of overall miles has gone up slightly, the number of people cycling overall has remained static. There may be localised increases in certain areas but this is being offset by drops in cycling elsewhere, much through fear, some because of helmet brigade... sorry headteachers forcing kids to wear when cycling to school, some because of other factors but it largely remains that without direct and safe routes, the average person is not going to cycle.
You may state that club numbers are up in some areas, not disputing that, however as an overall there is literally no increase, just people cycling further.

There's also no evidence of increases in general cycling due to sporting success despite the hundreds of millions poured in so that the elite can have a very comfortable lifestyle on top of the adulation, basically it's pretty futile in terms of getting people cycling.

However what we have seen since the mid 00s is that serious injuries of people riding bikes has gone up significantly more than miles covered, this is a complete reverse to the serious injuries of pedestrians and indeed motorists over the long term. Funnily enough the downturn started not long after the introduction of mandatory helmet wearing by BC and most other organisations/charity rides and the push by government/plod/busybodies etc.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 27 Jan 2019, 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The utility cyclist wrote:The answer to your question is no.This was made clear last year in the latest figures. ...

Pages 18/19 here.
This suggests that people who cycle have been cycling further, but that the proportion of the population who cycle has not changed substantially.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Anecdotal only I know but like most of above I am sure I see far more roadies out, even this time of year, than 5-10 years ago. New Clubs, far more female riders, mostly full-on carbon expensive bikes. Local CTC group started a new Saturday Easy (30 miles average, plus to and from start) a couple of years ago. Initially summer-only, now all year. Yesterday 14 out, 50/50 M/F.
Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

Who is forcing their will on others re helmets?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

"The answer to your question is no, modal share of all journeys (not just commuting) remained static at 2%. This was made clear last year in the latest figures. Whilst the number of overall miles has gone up slightly, the number of people cycling overall has remained static."

So who collects these figures and how accurate are they?

I too see many more cyclists than I did five or ten years ago. Plenty of roadies out on their bikes on the roads at weekends (and parked outside pubs), but also jo public types having a daily ride along the seafront path, particularly in the warmer months.

The only reason I can think why these extras don't make more is if lots of older people have given up cycling.

I also wonder what is being measured. "modal journeys" - does that include just going out for a pointless ride?

Of course lots of roadies out in the countryside may well mean lots more motor miles as they drive to their rides.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

It certainly seems to be yet another of the cycling paradoxes, that anecdotally everybody seems to believe that numbers of cyclists are increasing, yet the available data does not seem to support the perception.

Something that is not disputed, either anecdotally or by the evidence, is that here is more traffic on our roads. Another piece of anecdotal information that might be considered is that many cyclists these days are choosing routes specifically because they have lower traffic levels, and virtually everybody seems to try to avoid all trunk roads where possible. Indeed cyclists are virtually extinct on trunk roads these days, yet these are the most direct and busiest routes.

If the same number of cyclists are riding more miles on a smaller road network, particularly one which tends to exclude many of the most direct and convenient routes, then the probability that cyclists will pass each other on the road must surely increase also.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

when watching the morning news on TV (outside parliament.... I won't mention the B word :roll: ) I was amazed at the constant stream or cyclists in the background.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

simonhill wrote: lots more motor miles as they drive to their rides.

Don't get me started! As a cyclist & pedestrian I'm banned from my local recycling centres (Nb. Not withstanding this I routinely drop the recycling in, on my four mile walk to catch a train - get some very disapproving looks from the "outdoor" environmental types, bicycle racks on the backs of their 4/4's :roll: ).

The irony of it is that I'm fully aware that recycling is a bit of a nonsense....
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

gaz wrote:Pages 18/19 ]

Interesting reading and fairly positive
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

100%JR wrote:Numbers have increased significantly since the TDF Grand Depart here(Yorkshire) in 2014.
My sons CC has over 350 members,other CCs in the area have 500+ members and kids racing(Closed circuit and Cyclo-cross) is huge now.

Plus One for cross and racing on closed circuits, for grownups too
I remember there being a lot of cyclists in the 1970s, but memory is hard to trust I think, I believe experts think that too
I was clearing out some old papers today, came across several nasty letters from the tax office asking me to pay thousands, an awful situation, did not have to pay in the end, that was twenty years ago and I had completely forgotten it :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

whoof wrote:Imagine I called you a ****, sorry misguided person. I would probably be suspended from this forum if I inserted certain words into ****.
He also said that nazis was a perfect description .

Certain posters seem to be able to get away with things the rest of us can't :wink: I've had posts moderated/deleted for much less :| Certain posters also seem to report posts they deem offensive whilst posting whatever they like :wink: