Keto Diet and Cycling Fitness

Equinox100

Keto Diet and Cycling Fitness

Post by Equinox100 »

Hello,

Has anyone tried the Keto diet which I believe is high fat, moderate protein and low carbohydrate and just wondered what impact this has had on fitness?

Thank you
al_yrpal

Re: Keto Diet and Cycling Fitness

Post by al_yrpal »

BBC News - Food Challenges: 'My cheat meal is a 185oz burger'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46137925

Al :D
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Equinox100

Post by Equinox100 »

Thanks for both of those links.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've never felt better since I stopped eating meat(red or white)some 25 years ago,and I've never missed it.I eat plenty of veg and fruit and oily fish.I like pasta and potatoes,pulses,beans,and cheeses.
I don't much go for this or that diet and eat what I feel like.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

is this the Cambridge Diet you're on? I tried that about five years ago, and almost passed out and crashed my bike. I can't use it now as I'm vegan, anyway.

About a year ago, I started to go to Slimming World. I've found it very effective. Although I don't go anymore, I started following its 'precepts' at the beginning of the year, and am down ten pounds. I cycle into work 'empty' (apart from a double espresso), and have two bananas five minutes before setting off on the return journey.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

It's most certainly not the Cambridge diet! That was a near starvation regimen.
It's low carb moderate protein, high fat. I'm on it 5y and have my weight down on it for more than 4.5y. Minus 40lb.
I got used to it very quickly and have twice done Lejog on it, and had done it heavier, twice before that on a "conventional" diet.

To do it, you should get a good book on it and read it. I eat in calorie terms, about 10% carbs: 18% protein, 72% fat. It's very satisfying and that's how it works. Modern junk food (much modern food is just that) overstimulates your appetite causing what is fundamentally a hibernation reaction which is why people are getting fatter and fatter. It's not a matter of laziness or lack of willpower. They are starving because their hormones are screwed up by what they're eating. I was always starving. I don't get very hungry now and get 6-7 hours out of my breakfast. Tellingly, I've not once got the knock/bonk since I went low carb.
If you want to read about it, I reccomed Dietdoctor.com
whoof

Post by whoof »

Gearoidmuar wrote:It's most certainly not the Cambridge diet! That was a near starvation regimen.
It's low carb moderate protein, high fat. I'm on it 5y and have my weight down on it for more than 4.5y. Minus 40lb.
I got used to it very quickly and have twice done Lejog on it, and had done it heavier, twice before that on a "conventional" diet.

To do it, you should get a good book on it and read it. I eat in calorie terms, about 10% carbs: 18% protein, 72% fat. It's very satisfying and that's how it works. Modern junk food (much modern food is just that) overstimulates your appetite causing what is fundamentally a hibernation reaction which is why people are getting fatter and fatter. It's not a matter of laziness or lack of willpower. They are starving because their hormones are screwed up by what they're eating. I was always starving. I don't get very hungry now and get 6-7 hours out of my breakfast. Tellingly, I've not once got the knock/bonk since I went low carb.

How much fibre are you eating?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Never followed any diet, just adapt my intake depending on what i'm doing. I'll do more breakfast when i'm doing a big ride, I might just have a coffee other days etc etc. By trial and error I know what to have and how much, I don't need someone else to tell me.

I used to work with a compulsive dieter, one time they proclaimed they were cutting out carbs and going almost veggie, I was still having fewer calories for lunch than their washing bowl of salad and pasta! So everything in balance, some meals may count as vegetarian or even vegan, others will be meat heavy.

Cheap pre prepared food is the scourge of the poor and with bad lifestyle habits, probably has more impact than specifically bad diet. It's possible to make healthy pizza, low fat bolognese sauce etc but you actually have to be able to cook and be willing to take the time - sadly cooking isn't really taught in schools these days and why do something from scratch when you can just buy a jar/can/pack that just needs heating?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

Gearoidmuar wrote:It's most certainly not the Cambridge diet! That was a near starvation regimen.

I started what you'd probably call 'Slimming World' on 1st January - although I don't go to their meetings. I used to go, and I learned all about 'syns' and so forth. This time, I'm following the diet (since it actually did work very well for me when I used to go), and am down ten pounds since the beginning of the year. Spreadsheet courtesy of my wife..

https://imgur.com/D0bsO6I

It's a money-making gig - of that, I'm well aware. But the system works. For me, at any rate.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
whoof

Post by whoof »

foxyrider wrote:Never followed any diet, just adapt my intake depending on what i'm doing. I'll do more breakfast when i'm doing a big ride, I might just have a coffee other days etc etc. By trial and error I know what to have and how much, I don't need someone else to tell me.

I used to work with a compulsive dieter, one time they proclaimed they were cutting out carbs and going almost veggie, I was still having fewer calories for lunch than their washing bowl of salad and pasta! So everything in balance, some meals may count as vegetarian or even vegan, others will be meat heavy.

Cheap pre prepared food is the scourge of the poor and with bad lifestyle habits, probably has more impact than specifically bad diet. It's possible to make healthy pizza, low fat bolognese sauce etc but you actually have to be able to cook and be willing to take the time - sadly cooking isn't really taught in schools these days and why do something from scratch when you can just buy a jar/can/pack that just needs heating?

I follow a similar 'diet' Yesterday I rode 100 km so I had a piece of toast in addition to my usual porridge.
I went shopping on Wednesday and got a few more things today. There wasn't anything I bought that you could just put in an oven, microwave or pan and simply warm up (except bread to toast). Everything was raw ingredients that required cooking. The result has been a stable (not over) weight for decades.
Andris

Post by Andris »

Hi!

I’ve been on keto for 24 days now. Did a 2 hour ride yesterday without getting hungry (enduro bike). Pulszone 4,5. Riding on carbs would get me starving after 1hour

I am planning to do a 10hour ride 300km this summer. Have anyone experience with so long ride and what do u consume during it?

Greetings from Norway
softlips

Post by softlips »

While I think Keto type diets have their place particularly in reversing T2D or for short term use in weight loss I saw a presentation at ESC last year which concluded those with the lowest carbohydrate intake had a 32% higher risk of all-cause death over an average 6.4-year follow-up. In addition, risks of death from coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, and cancer were increased by 51%, 50%, and 35%, respectively.

I’ve cut my carbs considerably over the last three years. I rarely have processed carbs, but do have a bowl of porridge each morning.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Andris wrote:Hi!

I’ve been on keto for 24 days now. Did a 2 hour ride yesterday without getting hungry (enduro bike). Pulszone 4,5. Riding on carbs would get me starving after 1hour

I am planning to do a 10hour ride 300km this summer. Have anyone experience with so long ride and what do u consume during it?

Greetings from Norway

The short answer to what you eat is - anything you can get your hands on!

When i've had long days in the saddle like that i've found it essential to a) keep hydrated, b) eat proper food, don't rely on gels etc, c) hydrate and finally d) hydrate!

For me, carbo/protein loading beforehand has some use but a good breakfast at least an hour before is essential then start snacking / drinking from hour one. But also pacing yourself is essential otherwise you'll get into an early deficit.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nez

Post by nez »

30kph avg for 10 hrs. Good luck :shock: