Cyclist guilty of lack of consideration for hitting a horse

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Re: Triathlete hits horse on road. Shameful!

Post by peetee »

It is clear from the originally posted video that the horse is at ease with cyclist passing on the right. This would be the side the animal sees all passing vehicles from either direction. It is only the riders passing on the left that disturb the horse - and no wonder. Full credit to the animal and it's rider for controling what could have developed into a life threatening situation. Credit also to Horse and Hounds for an intelligent and impartial report on the incident.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Sad old world! People spend pages ranting on about entitled drivers acting stupidly/inconsiderately/dangerously/selfishly, yet when a cyclist does it, for some reason, ‘it’s different’. I thought we were supposed to be ‘progressing’ as a society, more like regressing :-(
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Were the triathletes in the wrong, yes, however this is a massive over reaction to a minor incident. We know it is a minor incident because police won't even prosecute others for far worse aside from a tap on the wrist and the usual magistrate/judge coming up with the 'momentary lapse of concentration etc etc.
Can we just not get over the fact that some people are cretins but acknowledge that only people on cycles are being treated differently when it comes to the law and 'justice' and are being held to a significantly higher standard than any other road user with punishments hugely in excess of those doing far far greater harm.

As per usual the media makes a mountain out of a molehill.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems to me that if our aim is improve conditions for cyclists by campaigning for better law enforcement, then appearing to equivocate when cyclists are at fault just undermines our credibility.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

alexnharvey wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Cycle races or RSOs race-shaped objects should not be held on public roads
An exception might be made for hill-climbs only

Where do you propose to have them? There's plenty of room if we all exercise a little judgment.

Closed tracks, Eastway, Brands Hatch, old airfields, there are plenty of those
Going eyeballs out on public roads is madness
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:It seems to me that if our aim is improve conditions for cyclists by campaigning for better law enforcement, then appearing to equivocate when cyclists are at fault just undermines our credibility.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cycle races or RSOs race-shaped objects should not be held on public roads

Why's that then? Because roads are just for cars? A cyclist in a time trial or triathlon is just a cyclist riding along a road, something we all do every day. The difference is that they are going a bit faster.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Going eyeballs out on public roads is madness

Except that in the case of a cyclist it may be only 4mph faster than if they were not racing. If only cars would keep to within 4mph of the speed limit (oh and not keep growing in physical size and weight) there would be far fewer problems on the roads.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

TrevA wrote:

Why's that then? Because roads are just for cars? A cyclist in a time trial or triathlon is just a cyclist riding along a road, something we all do every day. The difference is that they are going a bit faster.

Roads are for cyclists too in theory but I am too **** scared to ride on them

When racing one wants to give everything, quite possibly exceeding the 30 mph maximum speed limit, going fast is dangerous at junctions etc etc
Up steep hills speed is limited

There are plenty of old airfields for example where races could be held
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Imagine riding a 100 mile time trial around a 1 mile airfield circuit. I think you'd get pretty bored.

Races don't tend to take place where there is a 30mph speed limit, which doesn't apply to cyclists anyway.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

thirdcrank wrote:It seems to me that if our aim is improve conditions for cyclists by campaigning for better law enforcement, then appearing to equivocate when cyclists are at fault just undermines our credibility.

As every you have a good handle on the situation. Your comments, sir, are concise and to the point. I won't give it plus points because it's the truth we should all be able to accept.

Cycling and horse riding are two outdoor and active hobbies that involve being vulnerable in much the same way. Our two communities should back reach other up.

The horse in this story might have lashed out in fear and I bet the offending cyclist would not be the one on the receiving end of a horse's hooves. It was dangerous if had that potential.

I've walked along the route of a cycle event before now where it went along a former rail line. Didn't know about it, no signs. It was a charity event full of people who looked like maybe one in their group actually cycled outside of this event. The rest looked like they had borrowed a bike or hit Halfords just before the event.

They were a nightmare. Riding 4 across the path and forcing walkers off the side. I saw another group coming so I put myself in towards the middle of the path on one side to create a large obstacle they had to go single or double file past. Benefits of being a big bloke.

The reason for my aggressive positioning was my 5 year old nearly got hit and the woman pushing a pram that we'd just passed got clipped by one.

As a cyclist I am responsible for my own actions and take great care to follow highway code and ride safely and carefully. I am too aware that people who don't cycle view me a being the same as a dangerous cyclist. Negative behaviour does reflect on all cyclists I fear. It is why bad cycling behaviour annoys me more than motoring bad behaviour. Rightly it wrongly that's my opinion.
Syd

Post by Syd »

There are very good reasons why riding in a head down position is banned by CTT.
Jules59

Cyclist guilty of lack of consideration for hitting a horse

Post by Jules59 »

I've only just come across this - whilst looking at the Highway Code changes.
Cyclist was found guilty of one count of riding a cycle on a road without reasonable consideration for others, after a trial at Wycombe Magistrates’ Court.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMJ5B9YgCFI

I know cameras can make speeds look faster than they are. But it looks to me that all those cyclists passed the horse and rider way too fast.
Doesn't do the image of cyclists as considerate individuals any favours.

A friend of mine was badly injured when passing two horses and riders on a narrow road. One horse suddenly got spooked as the bike passed by, bolted and threw the rider off. My friend skidded and fell off sustaining a clavicular avulsion and fracture which required reconstructive surgery and curtailed his cycling for a year or so.

Does anyone think these HWC changes will do any good without a public information campaign (remember "dip your headlights" etc). Nobody apart from learners reads the HWC.
reohn2

Re: Cyclist guilty of lack of consideration for hitting a horse

Post by reohn2 »

Those cyclists are morons,end of and deserve everything they get.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rmurphy195

Re: Cyclist guilty of lack of consideration for hitting a horse

Post by rmurphy195 »

Do you need publicity campaigns for anything and everything? People like the - ones - you mention won't take any notice anyway, any more than the ones who close pass me on theier bikes when I'm on mine, let alone any consideration for COVID reasons.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !