Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Therefore, after my experience at Tavistock, and also having difficulties getting served in Union Rooms Plymouth, I downloaded the app. Find a table, check out the drinks and snacks, order and pay by card, and the staff come to you. They come to you! .........................odds on far faster than if you'd been to the bar. When I was in there last - by myself - I ordered two pints and a packet of peanuts. I was happy to go to the bar for the third pint and wait.

Just remember to disable it afterwards so it can't snoop on you and check before installing that it isn't asking for permissions to access your contacts or similar.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I found another one today. The Maidenhead inn in Basingstoke. They have an open air bit / terrace out the back, you can sit with your bike, and order your food drinks with the app ( weather dependant ). It’s a short walk to the other Wetherspoons ( the Angel ) where you are right by a set of lockable bike cages ( bring your own padlock and job’s a good’un) if the weather isn’t so good.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Royal Victoria Pavilion at Ramsgate is the biggest Spoons, anyone been there?

I keep getting Witherspoons and Waterstones mixed up, think I prefer the latter :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Royal Victoria Pavilion at Ramsgate is the biggest Spoons, anyone been there?

I keep getting Witherspoons and Waterstones mixed up, think I prefer the latter :wink:

Wetherspoons;

Waterstones;

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Royal Victoria Pavilion at Ramsgate is the biggest Spoons, anyone been there?

:

As before, my suggestion is to read upthread.

Your continued contributions to a subject in which you have a detached interest to say the least continues to bemuse me.

Will be back later with another cycling spoons suggestion when on a proper keyboard.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

The White Hart, Todmorden.

At the back there is a largish paved area with tables - easy open access (ie no fence or "yard" to get into). Bikes can be fastened to railings.

Nice pub, bars on two floors with different real beers. Was originally a pub.

Welcome to folk touring in the area I imagine as that area is pretty challenging cycling.

Sitting outside may be dependent of course on the area's at times equally challenging weather.

Odd factoid you tend to pick up from spoons' local info boards while drinking the local beer - Keith Emerson of ELP fame/notoriety is from Todmorden. Who would have thought it?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Have since been told by a local cycling companion that the area at the back of the Todmorden spoons is a veritable sun trap.

Though you do of course get smokers.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sweep wrote:Though you do of course get smokers.
So what?
Does it really matter?

I'm a Never Smoker, but have no objections to smokers at all and I feel it was a sad day that the Smoking Ban came in. It spoiled the pub environments IMHO and there are far fewer smokers these days anyway.
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:
Sweep wrote:Though you do of course get smokers.
So what?
Does it really matter?

I'm a Never Smoker, but have no objections to smokers at all and I feel it was a sad day that the Smoking Ban came in. It spoiled the pub environments IMHO and there are far fewer smokers these days anyway.

Not after an argument mick, was just quoting my pal. I too don't mind smokers in a non enclosed space, the whiff takes me back to student parties.

Back to spoons, days getting longer, may be able to check out more soon.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As a long time chronic asthma sufferer I was delighted when the smoking ban arrived. Previously, pubs were pretty well out of bounds for me.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Bikes can be fastened to railings.

:lol: After all these pages, is the only pub mentioned with its own cycle parking (rather than relying on council racks nearby) The Obridge in Taunton which isn't even a Wetherspoons? If so, then the claim that they "often have reasonably secure bike parking" seems false and the answer to the topic "Cycle friendly Wetherspoons" is even more clearly "none" than I thought!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've no idea if any Wetherspoons have their own bike racks. I only know of one pub that has and it's not a Wetherspoons. Well two, but one is wheelbenders which are usually blocked by car parking anyway, so I don't count that. I do know that a Wetherspoons favoured by Bristol CTC allow us (and any other customers) to pile our bikes in a heap inside the doors.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Actually I've just remembered another pub with its own bike stands. They are outside the pub's courtyard between wall and pavement on private land, but I've also known them allow bikes in the courtyard (probably not at busy times though).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I've no idea if any Wetherspoons have their own bike racks. I only know of one pub that has and it's not a Wetherspoons. Well two, but one is wheelbenders which are usually blocked by car parking anyway, so I don't count that. I do know that a Wetherspoons favoured by Bristol CTC allow us (and any other customers) to pile our bikes in a heap inside the doors.

Barickading themselves in bmb :)

Yes one of their pluses is that they are easygoing/inclusive/non snobby - report upthread from me on taking a fully loaded exped bike inside one of theirs - very welcome as I was towards the end of a non stop overnight 140 mile ride.

Also a reference upthread from me on one which does have its own covered bike parking - don't have a pic - may be able to sort on streetview.

It should of course be clear to anyone except the perverse that I started the thread to highlight ones which were handy for bikes and had good bike access - I find most cyclists easygoing practical souls and for them the fact that, for instance, there is unrestricted access to an outside area with some form of security possibilities (railings in time honoured fashion count) or a way of sitting inside and seeing your locked bike will be good enough.

edit:

https://goo.gl/maps/5LReL59KJwq

Pic of car park at the wonderful Greenwood Hotel (well worth a visit folks to be taken back to the glory days of metroland) -behind the cars (electric car charging points) you can see a covered thing - it covers several sheffield stands.
Sweep
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Sweep wrote:Have since been told by a local cycling companion that the area at the back of the Todmorden spoons is a veritable sun trap.

Though you do of course get smokers.

are there signs forbidding it? my local Wetherspoons has an outside area, which doesn't seem to fall under any reasonable definition of 'covered', but smoking is not allowed. Perhaps passers-by (it's on the street) complain?